We could do with a new game

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Stubble wrote:Surely for those who are really good at the game... They would just avoid picking the bonus? Can it ever offer it on all three pumps?
Yes happened on the old update (green beer mats) when it didn't want to pay out at all costs. Worst nowadays is two pints having the bonus category...that then has all three as happy hour when I've nearly balanced them all on 3 or 4 pints for the Barmaid bonus!
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

I'm sure I had 3 Bonuses to choose from when I didn't really want to risk the very fast bonus. Fairly sure I kept track of the only non barred mat, only for it to reveal barred!
BFK

Post by BFK »

Bent
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

BFK wrote:Bent
Depends on how you look at it. For me it's just a signpost to show how close/far away the game is from being JP-able.
muddle

Post by muddle »

To return to an earlier point in this discursive thread,I have still only seen one machine with 'new' Pub Quiz on.Have other members found many machines with it on? Also,any sign of an updated Hangman's Saloon? I haven't really go much interest in either game,but I am thinking that if Phase one of GWHL's promised updates isn't completed,then maybe we can forget about Phase two.I have got my fingers crossed (perhaps over-optimistically) that Phase two might prove to be something significant.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

muddle wrote:To return to an earlier point in this discursive thread,I have still only seen one machine with 'new' Pub Quiz on.Have other members found many machines with it on? Also,any sign of an updated Hangman's Saloon? I haven't really go much interest in either game,but I am thinking that if Phase one of GWHL's promised updates isn't completed,then maybe we can forget about Phase two.I have got my fingers crossed (perhaps over-optimistically) that Phase two might prove to be something significant.
Found one yesterday - first one I've seen.
muddle

Post by muddle »

[quote="Sloach"]

I think you're misremembering what you read in that magazine.
One letter was about fruit machines cluttering up the place which Tim Martin appeared to agree with. Another letter was from a customer who missed the (removed) quiz machine in his local and Mr Martin promised to investigate. Whether he actually did or not I guess we'll never know but it's not back...

Do you think the customer was actually a quizzy pro rather than a regular?! Perhaps we should all write similar letters or get friends of ours if they are buying a drink in a Wetherspoons to inquire if the pub has a quiz machine.I sometimes drink with mates in non-quizzy Wetherspoons,I'm going to ask whoever's round it is in future to ask if there's a quizzy and look disappointed when being told in the negative.Although given the subtlety of some of my mates (especially after a few drinks),they'll probably end up saying that they're only asking as their mate would like to take money out of it.
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

I can't tell the difference between the old Pub Quiz and the "updated" one. If its simply an updated question bank I'm surprised that warrants a mention.

The Hangman game is as joyless as you'd expect a FatSpanner /Open game to be. Roll on Phase 2.
muddle

Post by muddle »

Perhaps Phase Two has already happened and we haven't noticed it lol.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

muddle wrote:To return to an earlier point in this discursive thread,I have still only seen one machine with 'new' Pub Quiz on.Have other members found many machines with it on? Also,any sign of an updated Hangman's Saloon? I haven't really go much interest in either game,but I am thinking that if Phase one of GWHL's promised updates isn't completed,then maybe we can forget about Phase two.I have got my fingers crossed (perhaps over-optimistically) that Phase two might prove to be something significant.
They are certainly out there but both are completely underwhelming - the Pub Quiz update seems just to be a new question bank plus a 'New!' icon on the front screen, and as far as I can see the "updated" Hangman's Saloon is the same poor game that has been around for ages on Gamesnets and iQuests, with the "updated" part simply referring to the fact that it's a "new" version of an old classic game.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Very interestingly "discursive" thread this.
Back in the day-1986 to be precise we'd worked out that if there were quiz machines local to us they must be elsewhere in this "sceptred isle". We could of course have just gone looking but always being one to avoid unnecessary exercise we decided that we would go to the local library and photocopy the pages of big city phonebooks relating to pubs. We then went home and proceeded to ring every pub on the list with the script which went:-
"Good Morning/Afternoon. I'm the sales representative for a fruit machine company and I wondered whether you would be interested in having a new type of machine sited in your pub which pays out prizes for players who answer general knowledge questions."
This usually met with one of two responses-no thanks or I've already got one with us making obvious inferences. No mobiles in those days and we rang up some pretty hefty phone bills but well worth it.
Some time ago there was a famous quizzing story about a couple of lads who were arrested by the police suspected of breaking into quiz machines. The Old Bill were called by a pub landlord in Norfolk who'd just had the two lads empty his machine perfectly legally. Armed (!!) police caught up with them in the next town as they were coming out of another pub. They were made to lie face down, arrested and taken to the Police Station where they were questioned. In the end the police accompanied them to the next pub on their list and watched whilst they emptied that machine before fully believing they were above board. The incident ended with the police giving them a signed statement to show to any landlord who told them they were calling the cops.
Can there be any other game that has the variety of safety features that PMP has? If you don't get the three "You're Barred" showing barred when you've definitely hit the "Pass" the machine will automatically take off the game once you've won a certain amount.
I've written to Weatherspoons at least twice now asking them to reinstate quiz machines to attract a better class of customer (sorry fruiters) and not had the courtesy of a reply...
JG

Post by JG »

tonkarentino wrote: police caught up with them in the next town as they were coming out of another pub. They were made to lie face down, arrested and taken to the Police Station where they were questioned...
I'm sure they'd have had all the right answers ;) . Even so, get the wrong coppers and it's a lengthy and frustrating process of appeals. Frozen accounts anyone?
JG
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

better class of customer is not really weatherspoons remit is it?!! oh and fruit players are easily in the "upper 50%" of all their customers, have you ever looked around in those places?!
Going skint....
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

also, and i'm surprised this hasn't sunk in yet - when alot of pubs don't want a fruit machine (that could easily take a grand a week), why the fuck would they want a quiz? in my opinion quiz machines should be on freeplay or have their payout format revolutionised, eg a win of over a fiver not being miraculous to attain for the average player. this is just not possible though, and you pros are the reason why!
Going skint....
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

it is a similar situation with fruit pros, except because the money involved is so huge, everyone can take their slice. although to be fair i am amazed that the botton level that contribute all the money continue to do so? imagine the quiz world that had thousands of people regularly losing over £50 in ten minutes and multiple units in virtually every pub?!
Going skint....