We could do with a new game

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
muddle

We could do with a new game

Post by muddle »

I was idly flicking through a few old threads and found the one talking about the introduction of Pointless.I was amazed to find that was just over 2 years ago.How time flies when you're sort of enjoying yourself.It has confirmed what I was already thinking though - that we could do with a good new game coming out.Well,we could do with several,but one would be a start.Anybody got any ideas? It's not perhaps the best known quiz show but I think Tipping Point might work well - punters might like the random (possibly pseudo-random) element of where the coins fell.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the latest TV quiz shows are particularly iconic in the way DOND or Pointless are.
Or even WWTBAM. Could be the end of a 'golden era' of heavyweight TV quiz shows? I suppose Tipping Point is the latest one that's stuck but it does nothing for me.
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

There's an interesting update on the games warehouse site. Got the air of a Hail Mary to it but interesting anyway.

http://gwhl.co.uk/index.php?Company=New ... t=June2015
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Sloach wrote:There's an interesting update on the games warehouse site. Got the air of a Hail Mary to it but interesting anyway.

http://gwhl.co.uk/index.php?Company=New ... t=June2015
"Those who think that we at GW have given up trying anything new on Paragon need to prepare themselves for their wake-up call."

What does that mean? And, more to the point, who are they talking about? Us? lol.

I was thinking the other day about how bizarre this industry is. There's no publicity for quiz machines - no interviews with any of the people who design them which is quite rare in the modern age. I was thinking this while staring at a fruit machine - the DOND with the 'psychedelic' button - name escapes me - and how much the flashing lights of a fruit advertise their wares in the pub almost manically whereas the quiz machine sits quietly in the dark.
cool

Post by cool »

'Phase One of a two-part schedule includes a totally new and upgraded version of what is almost certainly the greatest ever SWP game, Pub Quiz. This new version contains a fully revised question library, the key to the success of any trivia quiz game'

The legendary and much lamented (no hes not dead just not posting on the quiz area anymore) Quizmaster will be shooting his load at the prospect of the new update.......The king of Pub Quiz and master of witty put downs and withering comments.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

Power Play! psychedelic is a good word to use in relation to it, i once had a hallucination that it lit up before i was 120 in! 700 float required to play, i guess a quizzer could go out with what, a 3 quid float?
Going skint....
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Was playing a Paragon today and noticed under Pub Quiz it said "new" so that must be the update. Don't play it enough to know if the questions were significantly different to before but structure wise it's still the same Graphics.

I await the new Football quiz game with interest. Another update of MOTD or something new. Think I'd be like Quizmaster if Footy Quiz suddenly turns up on Paragons!
muddle

Post by muddle »

Just clicked on the link and read the June 2015 bulletin on GHWL's website:I wasn't getting overly excited by the reboot of Pub Quiz and Hangman Saloon,but a reboot of Match of the Day sounds very promising,and the language got more and more bullish as the article continued.'A totally new slant on the previous instant format with a timeless theme' and 'An amazing twist on a truly iconic concept'? I am intrigued,wonder what they will turn out to be.
It is more than possible that that last sentence is a reference to us on here,and I hope this wake-up call doesn't disappoint! Fingers are crossed.
muddle

Post by muddle »

paragoon wrote:Maybe it's just me but I don't think the latest TV quiz shows are particularly iconic in the way DOND or Pointless are.
Or even WWTBAM. Could be the end of a 'golden era' of heavyweight TV quiz shows? I suppose Tipping Point is the latest one that's stuck but it does nothing for me.
I think you're spot on there,paragoon.Millionaire and Deal or no Deal made a big impression with the general public,and quiz machine versions of those were subsequently successful.Pointless is not perhaps quite in their league (I am talking solely in terms of popularity here),but again,has made a successful transition to the quizzy world.I would say it certainly looks harder nowadays for a quiz show to have such massive appeal,but I suppose you never know.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

muddle wrote:I think you're spot on there,paragoon.Millionaire and Deal or no Deal made a big impression with the general public,and quiz machine versions of those were subsequently successful.Pointless is not perhaps quite in their league (I am talking solely in terms of popularity here),but again,has made a successful transition to the quizzy world.I would say it certainly looks harder nowadays for a quiz show to have such massive appeal,but I suppose you never know.
Maybe I'm off the mark here but Noel Edmonds, Chris Tarrant and Anne Robinson were already famous before they became Quizmasters of their respective gameshows. I suspect that's something to do with it. I can't remember which show came first, and can't be arsed to google it.
Without wanting to get too pretentious I feel that TV itself is smaller than it was in those days - people are more online or whatever.
What I'm trying to say is people were writing articles in the paper about WWTBAM or DOND or Weakest Link - they were also making millions in the states. Was it around 2002-2005 all these shows/games were starting up? I dunno - beer kicking in. All I'm saying is Ben Shepherd is not a star in the USA and neither is his game.
mendez

Post by mendez »

It would need to be a program where other people aren't involved as either competitors or team members - or where this can be removed (The Chase) or automated (1vs100, Pointless) without compromising the game.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

"Phase One of a two-part schedule includes a totally new and upgraded version of what is almost certainly the greatest ever SWP game, Pub Quiz. This new version contains a fully revised question library, the key to the success of any trivia quiz game. From the same creative stable, the best in the business, comes another updated classic, Hangman’s Saloon."

As far as I can tell the "totally new and upgraded version" of Pub Quiz just means a new question bank, but one that has been structured in exactly the same way as previous sets. As for Hangman's Saloon, I never really bothered with it before - it's been on the Gamesnets at least for some time now - but has the GWHL installation changed at all from that? If not, does "updated classic" simply mean a new version of the much older JPM Hangman game?

In any case, if the gap between image and reality of these two games is anything to go by, I wouldn't put much store by the GWHL hyperbole about Phase Two. I'll keep an open mind but I reckon we should prepare for disappointment!
muddle

Post by muddle »

I have played the new Pub Quiz now.Well,not being that well acquainted with the game,I couldn't actually swear on my life that I have - it could easily be the same old game but with a little star with the word 'new' written in it.That is basically going to be the case for everybody but the Pub Quiz playing pro.I think GWHL are right when they talk about revising the question library being important,but they're also right when they talk about conveying the message of change to the player.So perhaps they could make a little more fuss about it? Even just something along the lines of 'New Pub Quiz,now with new questions!' appearing on the machine.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Aye, the graphics and gameplay are completely the same from what I've seen, at least PMP changed it's beer mats from Green to Blue and MOTD had different graphics for keeping the ball up!
muddle

Post by muddle »

I was expecting to see 'new' Pub Quiz on all the Paragons by now,after all,it does say by the end of July on the GWHL bulletin,but I've only seen it one the one I mentioned earlier in the thread,and no sign of Hangman's Saloon whatsoever.Given that I've had quite a few machine disappearances this week just gone,perhaps they could speed up the process of 'Phase One' and 'Phase Two'! I am wondering what Phase Two is going to involve and whether it's going to involve any of the suggestions that we've made on here.Anybody got any guesses what they might be planning?