We could do with a new game

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Well they said a reskin of MOTD which I'm interested in what the hell that means as the last MOTD update just had a different way of having to do the keepie uppies with your fingers and some fancy new graphics.

I've seen the updates on a few machines now actually.

Still think Paragons are on the way out, machines are still unreliable and lack of variety on the games menu.

Might be just the places I go but I'm seeing far more I quests around than even 6 months ago particularly in 'spoons.
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

Would be disasterous for you guys.... But I think a popular product would be a free play quiz which paid beer tokens!
muddle

Post by muddle »

You might well be right Stubble - you don't fancy deleting that post before you give anyone ideas do you? lol
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Stubble wrote:Would be disasterous for you guys.... But I think a popular product would be a free play quiz which paid beer tokens!
'you guys' lol are you american?
it's a non-starter anyway. why the f would a landlord want the quiz machine to eat into his bar take? load of tosh.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Paragons please disappear...met a mate for a few hours in Liverpool today, went to Rileys, had a spare 10 minutes after playing Pool so played the Paragon, managed to get 12 quid off Pints and of course an I.O.U comes up.

Ridiculous for that amount when I generally don't have any problem getting 20 odd quid out of Gamesnets and Iquests, infact I can probably count on one hand the amount of problems I've had with those machines the last year and that's generally overplaying them in some locations.

Paragons it seems every other machine I play just breaks down and won't pay out.
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

Well, it's certainly marketable in terms of entertainment. Pubs regularly offer rounds of drinks as a prize in Pub Quizzes, so I hardly consider the idea unthinkable.

What is the collective term for a group of Quiz Machine players?
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

paeds?
Going skint....
mendez

Post by mendez »

Paragonians?

You couldn't have a cabinet that was free to play as the Wetherspoons residents would be on it all day mashing the buttons until the beer tokens came out.

There might be something you could do with an "App" on your own device provided that you were connected to the pub wifi. I'm surprised The Cloud don't to my knowledge do this kind of thing already - I'd imagine free access to subscription services like Netflix or websites like The Times while you're in a pub or coffee shop could be quite good for trade.
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

SoccerHQ wrote:Paragons please disappear..
I know you don't live in London but your wish has been granted here at least. Unfortunately Paragons are not being replaced by games nets. .. or any other SWP. There are barely any quiz machines left in wetherspoons from zones 1 to 3. I reckon half a dozen at best over dozens of pubs. I haven't played a quiz machine for nearly a month but traveled out today to an area which at least had a few independent pubs with machines... until recently. None left in any of the chain pubs and now even the locals have ditched them. This must be the end now, surely...
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Fulham Broadway spoons still has a Kudos that has Cluedo Reloaded on it but I accept your point. Think it's policy from the top and Tim Martin. I remember waiting for a meal and flicking through their in house mag and he answered a question of why have Quiz Machines cluttering up the place by saying he'd have a look at it. Certainly I am finding it rare going to a newly opened pub and finding a quiz machine.

It's London though so there's a million other pubs that has options....plenty of I quests and Gamesnets floating around the Euston/Marleybone area so no worries there yet.
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

Fulham is one of the half dozen or so left although even it used to have 2 machines.

I think you're misremembering what you read in that magazine.
One letter was about fruit machines cluttering up the place which Tim Martin appeared to agree with. Another letter was from a customer who missed the (removed) quiz machine in his local and Mr Martin promised to investigate. Whether he actually did or not I guess we'll never know but it's not back...

There are certainly not millions of options in london although if you only visit occasionally I accept it may feel that way. As anyone who knows the scene here will be aware, compared to 10 or even 3 years ago the number of machines has been severely diminished.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

O.k a good few hundred then.... ;)
JG

Post by JG »

What is the etiquette with me mentioning SWP rich areas on here? Would it cause annoyance to some folk?
JG
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

JG wrote:What is the etiquette with me mentioning SWP rich areas on here? Would it cause annoyance to some folk?
wires74

Post by wires74 »

JG wrote:What is the etiquette with me mentioning SWP rich areas on here? Would it cause annoyance to some folk?
yes