Games warehouse quiz box only has 8 games???

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

muddle wrote:Ah yes,I've spotted the clue - it was quite a good clue,you basically just told us lol.It is still on the iquests,certainly on the most recent line-up with Pointless.It might be on those Pub Connects too,I don't know.Always sad when an old favourite goes - did it take you long to get up to that standard? Football is one of my best topics,but I was put off playing that by the grimness of the spoilers,maybe I should have persevered.They should bring out a new football based quiz,from what I can tell they are always popular.One of the more fun games of recentish times was that Fantasy Football Quiz,I'm assuming you played that.The leaderboard was nearly always full so it must have been quite popular too.I'd like an updated version of that to appear!
Yes it's still on both those platforms but given it's just got the chop from Gamesnet machines, it's on borrowed time with those two you'd imagine. Problem with those two machines is they empty out 10 quid at a time which leads to some suspcious glances from a few in the pub. The jackpot is always fixed at a tenner though (early versions had 20 quid would you believe although they soon scraped that) and the questions remain the same so yes good memorization is required.

For example the past masters section which is comfortably the hardest category, there are little hints like which ancient fa cup final had the lowest attendance, if it's below the 60s era, it's usually the lowest year and if it's between 1990-2007, it's usually the highest year as a few of those were played at the Millenium which has a lower capacity than Wembley.

I started this in 2012, around the time that game first turned up which was lucky as before then I was just casually playing Pints....and so will have to go back to that in time.

Think I just missed fantasy football quiz....I remember the talksport game and then Golden Boot and MOTD where you can win a couple of quid if you're lucky. Anyone remember MOTD, road to glory, that was basically Pints make Prizes 2 with football anagrams so enjoyed that one aswell.

I'm sure another football or sports based quiz game will crop up before too long.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Good god was in the Cardiff area today and finally saw for the first time the doomsday Paragon scenario....8 games, Pints, Beat the Landlord, Battleships (I think) and several other games I never play. Pub Quiz wasn't on there which was completely baffling to me unless they're updating it as that always attracts the casual punter to play a game or two.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

These seem to be proliferating, and the more I see them, the more I see an industry circling the drain. Nobody is going to get excited about having Beat the Landlord and Battleships in their pub, and there's your vicious circle of falling takings, fewer machines, less investment...repeat till dead. It seems deliberately perverse when there are still a few games which seem to have a following amongst Joe Public.
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

Topical2009 wrote:These seem to be proliferating, and the more I see them, the more I see an industry circling the drain. Nobody is going to get excited about having Beat the Landlord and Battleships in their pub, and there's your vicious circle of falling takings, fewer machines, less investment...repeat till dead. It seems deliberately perverse when there are still a few games which seem to have a following amongst Joe Public.
Is it because most of these games aren't licensed from tv shows etc? My guess- more cost cutting.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I was wondering if it's simply cost - is there a cheapo option for pubs, where they get the cabinet, but only the second-rate games? If so, it seems a false economy - how much play will a quiz menu get if it doesn't have Pointless / Pub Quiz / The Chase?
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Topical2009 wrote:I was wondering if it's simply cost - is there a cheapo option for pubs, where they get the cabinet, but only the second-rate games? If so, it seems a false economy - how much play will a quiz menu get if it doesn't have Pointless / Pub Quiz / The Chase?
This has crossed my mind so many times over the last couple of years. How does the conversation go here?
Landlord:"My bloody machine's broke and owing money again and I'm sick of having to call you out to fix it! I want rid of it."
Machineman: "Ah that'd be the pros running round JPing the JPable games. Tell you what, we'll give you a smaller menu at a lower rate with a few shit games that you can't win much more than £3 on?"
Landlord: "Fantastic."
Machineman: "Yeah it'll really scare anyone off playing it so you'll have no more problems."
Landlord: "Where do I sign?"
mendez

Post by mendez »

From what rbby258 said at the start of the thread it sounds like the software has expired and just needs updating to increase the selection -though it is depressing that the machine operators haven't had the date in their diary and been onto this beforehand.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Having been out and about a bit more, and found places where almost every Paragon (of which there are a dwindling number to start with) is an Eight Game Wonder, it's incredibly frustrating: if it's purely because operators haven't updated the software, then frankly they're asleep at the wheel, and should take the blame for writing the final chapter of the quiz machine story. Seriously, have none of them been made aware of this problem? Anyone in the know?
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Topical2009 wrote:Having been out and about a bit more, and found places where almost every Paragon (of which there are a dwindling number to start with) is an Eight Game Wonder, it's incredibly frustrating: if it's purely because operators haven't updated the software, then frankly they're asleep at the wheel, and should take the blame for writing the final chapter of the quiz machine story. Seriously, have none of them been made aware of this problem? Anyone in the know?
I went to a pub yesterday where I'd previously knocked PMPs off the menu maybe 6 weeks ago.
Now it was back on. I won £7 and it disappeared again. No idea what's going on there!
Jules

Post by Jules »

8.2 is out of date and will only show a few basic games until you update to 9.0. This is a compulsory update which is why you have been cut short. The update is free at gwhl's website.
SoccerHQ

Post by SoccerHQ »

Jules wrote:8.2 is out of date and will only show a few basic games until you update to 9.0. This is a compulsory update which is why you have been cut short. The update is free at gwhl's website.
Any decent new offerings when the update occurs Jules?
mendez

Post by mendez »

It's a bit too subtle, considering these machines will remove games themselves in the normal course of operation. It needs some kind of message on the menu screen, ideally which when clicked brings up some text telling the bar staff what to do.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

mendez wrote:It's a bit too subtle, considering these machines will remove games themselves in the normal course of operation. It needs some kind of message on the menu screen, ideally which when clicked brings up some text telling the bar staff what to do.
Agreed. I suspect that in most places, even if the staff realise there is a problem they have no idea there is a solution available. Shouldn't the collectors from Sceptre and local equivalents - who presumably visit machines on a weekly basis - be looking to check this sort of thing?
Sloach

Post by Sloach »

Having seen so many of these removed (eventually) I reckon it's because they have ran out of credits and the operators have no intention of renewing the "dongle"
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Sloach wrote:Having seen so many of these removed (eventually) I reckon it's because they have ran out of credits and the operators have no intention of renewing the "dongle"
I'm trying to think of a single place where I've seen the machine return from the updated version to "normal" and I can't. The most common next step does seem to be the machine disappearing altogether. Depressing.