Discuss Quiz Machines here..
wires74

Trivia Tube

Post by wires74 »

New game on paragons very similar to ELIMINATOR
anyone played it yet ?
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I've now played, and yes, it's like a version of Eliminator but with the payout structure tweaked (and probably not to the advantage of people here, I haven't played enough to see exactly how it works, but the most obvious point is that there's no guaranteed jackpot). What's more, some of those categories will seem quite familiar to anyone who's played a bit of Pointless, though there are obvious new ones in there as well - teams that have won the Division Two play-offs is quite a challenging topic. In short, it's a decent enough game, as it should be given that it's lifted the gameplay from another, previously successful, game, and the questions are interesting enough, but the graphics are either deliberately retro or just a bit crap - you decide - so my final verdict is that it's not exactly a game-changer i.e. I can't see Joe Public mobbing Paragons so they can play this instead of Pointless or Eliminator, or for that matter, Angry Birds on their phone.
cool

Post by cool »

Topical you are bang on the money. Its also hard despite the fact theres only 8 rounds.May get easier with play but not convinced.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Topical2009 wrote:but the most obvious point is that there's no guaranteed jackpot
As soon as Pointless came out I suspected they'd go down that road. Surely it's against the law? Imagine if you went in the bookies to put a bet on and they wouldn't tell you the odds?
Anyway, haven't seen it up here yet - there's hardly any Paragons left so that's no surprise!
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

At least with Pointless you can check the prize before you actually put any money in, not sure if the same is true of Trivia Tube.
cool

Post by cool »

I cant see how you can.
I actually managed to win 10p today (not the top prize)
A top prize of a tenner doesnt seem to make it any easier.
Plenty of existing games dont guarantee anything at the end . Dont know what the fuss is about but the game does seem very hard that can be a good or bad thing depending how you look at it but I doubt I will be able to crack it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

I don't think the variable top prize (£5 or £10) is going to be much of a worry given how hard this game has been set from the very beginning - it's certainly hard enough to scare off the punters, and that is all that matters in the end. I suppose we should be grateful that there are clearly still a few people left at GWHL creating new SWP games, but given the ropey nature of their last four offerings (Pixel This, Can You Dig It?, # Words and now this one), and the lack of any new Q&A content, there aren't any signs that they can reverse the general decline.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:I don't think the variable top prize (£5 or £10) is going to be much of a worry given how hard this game has been set from the very beginning - it's certainly hard enough to scare off the punters, and that is all that matters in the end. I suppose we should be grateful that there are clearly still a few people left at GWHL creating new SWP games, but given the ropey nature of their last four offerings (Pixel This, Can You Dig It?, # Words and now this one), and the lack of any new Q&A content, there aren't any signs that they can reverse the general decline.
Spot on post. Absolutely horrible game. On a par with 'Find Five'. Utter shite.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I've played this a few more times now. I don't know if I've just been unlucky, but the degree of difficulty seemed to rise incredibly steeply. As per Nil's comment above, I can't see non-expert quizzers getting enthused by rounds on "Members of the UN that joined before 1950" or "Dinosaurs from Jurassic Period" appearing before there's even 50p to be won.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's frustrating. They have wasted whatever hours/days/weeks/months of development work it took to produce this one by making such a poor job of grading the questions. Unlike some games that are beyond help from the outset, this one at least had a chance at being a success but any of the regular players on here given 5 minutes to test the game could have told them it was a complete non-starter in the version that has been released.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:It's frustrating. They have wasted whatever hours/days/weeks/months of development work it took to produce this one by making such a poor job of grading the questions. Unlike some games that are beyond help from the outset, this one at least had a chance at being a success but any of the regular players on here given 5 minutes to test the game could have told them it was a complete non-starter in the version that has been released.
Any game where you can 'win' 20p when it costs 50p to play - ie you can lose 30p, but even if you 'win' the 20p you can't get it out of the machine cos it's less than 50p is utterly ridiculous. But we all know that!
muddle

Post by muddle »

I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks so have yet to sample the delights of this particular game - no need to rush back by the sounds of it! 20p wins are both ridiculous and of dubious legality,how can you offer a prize you can't collect?! What Nil was saying about the time and effort that they must have put into development:the positive thing is at least they are still doing it,but they are rather wasting their efforts.It really would be worth their while liaising with people on this forum,I think we could all give valuable input.For me,a good game is both fun to play and at least gives the impression that it's possible for Joe Public to win on.Spoilers to stop you winning 20p? That's a no-no.