What would you like to play?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Matt Vinyl

What would you like to play?

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Hi All,

You may recall a little while back I posted a thread with some examples of my 'work' - which involved the design of SWP games.

Well, I'm looking for a bit of inspiration... What would you guys like to see 'in' or 'as' a new SWP?

A long way off yet, but if any design concepts suggested are taken up and realised, recognition will of course be noted in the appropriate way! ;)

So, come on, what makes you go 'Aw, I'd love to play that!', or, 'Why has no-one ever made that sort of game?!'...

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Terry Tibbs

Re: What would you like to play?

Post by Terry Tibbs »

[quote="Matt Vinyl"]Hi All,

You may recall a little while back I posted a thread with some examples of my 'work' - which involved the design of SWP games.

Well, I'm looking for a bit of inspiration... What would you guys like to see 'in' or 'as' a new SWP?

A long way off yet, but if any design concepts suggested are taken up and realised, recognition will of course be noted in the appropriate way! ]

surely all games are essentially categorised into 3 categories

Quiz
Puzzle
Skill [psuedo skill]

its about how you deliver that concept that decides its success

I think in light of the 2012 olympics a track and field (remember that old console game?) quiz/skill game would be interesting

Post by Guest »

How about QUIZ MACHINE PRO, where you get to go around a fictional town fleecing machines for money. For each fictional tenner you win, you get to win a real quid.

The territorial aspect will appeal to all the VB/UP/Quizmaster-wannabes and the self-referential conceit will attract philosophers, media students and dramaturgues. 8)
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Excellent!

You could 'unlock' different fictional towns, with progressively aggresive :shock: opponents to beat... :0)

Yes, a wide audience indeed! ;)

-----------------
Quiz
Puzzle
Skill [psuedo skill]
I'd agree, and yes, it's the way that it is represented that is important, along with the balance, or 'mix' of these three flavours...
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i'd like to see a boxing game like the old AWP where you had to get green, red and yellow gloves, also banzai was good while it lasted. as for new themes you just have to look at the demographic; pseudointellectuals and drunks who are too idle to put their time to better use. tv crossovers/(ahem) ripoffs are popular too. also given that most of us are (i'd guess) 20-35 some old nostalgia, the kind of stuff which we have a collective fondness for because it was so damn awful. things like garbage pail kids, dogtanian, saint & greavsie then the wrestling on a saturday afternoon, going for gold, operation (the game where you have electric tweezers) that sort of stuff. but you'd have to unite gentle mockery with playability.

apologies for my appalling syntax.

the fruitchat whingers in FC was a good one too.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Schuey

Post by Schuey »

Matt

Seriously I would love a game based on the popular 80's childrens ITV show Nightmare. I'm not aware that this has already been done.

Also, though I'm sure somebody is probably already trying to develop it, "Deal or No Deal". Presumably it would have to have a question basis, but I'm sure that this would be a popular game, though maybe too similar to WWTBAM.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Waheeeey! Do you mean Knightmare? That was great! Treguard (sp?) the Dungeon Master...

'Falsehood'

and

'You're standing in a room...'

LOL!!!

Some good ideas coming to mind from here. Could perform some sort of spin on Deal / No Deal. Mayhap bring some maths into it, whereby the answer determines the box you get to open? Not sure, would need to develop that somewhat...

Has 'Countdown' ever been done? Or a spin on this whereby you get say 9 letters, and have to derive as many words as you can from them in the time limit. If you get a certain score or a word that uses all the letters you progress onto a new set, and move up a prize board? Bear in mind (unfortunately) I'd have to think of ways to prevent some of you chaps from diddling it every time! ;)

Ponders... ... ...

Istenem

Post by Istenem »

on a similar topic, revolution missed a trick with donkey derby, they should have let you choose your own name and given the other nags fnarr-fnarr names: DORIS, WILLY, MABEL, FANNY, DICKY, FATSO, GINGE, BALDY, NADS; you know saucy end-of-the-pier, kiss-me-quick humour.

also given that you have to be 18 to play them how about something racy, (not loosey pinder).

also i would be hooked on a borat game, that guy has me in stitches.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

how about something racy
LOL - How about I work on a 'game' that I remember sampling one boring afternoon at work...

'Spot the Arse'

There was a 'game board' of about 200 sqaures, each with a picture on it, which was either a 'peach' or an 'arse'.

You had to, ahem, finger the arse correctly to progress...

Nah, don't think I better pursue that line any further... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Nice idea Matt!

Countdown has already been done, I'm afraid, though no reason why they couldn't do it again.

I'm devoid of good ideas for a new SWP, but something that didn't obviously diddle you if it didn't want to pay out would be a start. Take the 2 crystal maze machines (or rather the new one compared to the old versions). The old one was a £1 a shot / £5 jackpot, you got a decent length of time on it, you chose which types of games to play, and they were usually fun and the more practice, the easier they got. The end game was fun as well, and even when it obviously didn't want to pay out, you still had a good laugh and didn't feel cheated (it was always possible to win the jackpot from the end game although very unlikely if it was at 51/60 gold tokens).

Take the new version. No choice of which kinds of games to play. Half of them ridiculously easy (the torpedo one, the battering ram one etc), half bloody impossible (the bowling, the jigsaw ... i've ended up with burn marks on my fingers). Graphics are worse, if that were possible. And the end game not half as good, it doesn't seem to register half the time that you are hammering away at the gold tokens.

So, if you were wanting advice for new SWPs, you could do a lot worse than seeing what worked well in the past!
Schuey

Post by Schuey »

Yes Matt, I did mean 'Knightmare'.

I'm also sure that there must be some scope for a game to be based around Only Fools and Horses, whereby you answer questions to set up deals and determine if you make any money or not on them, though the only way I can think of this really working would be a monopoly type clone. I reckon this would be quite popular with the punters that'll just stick their loose change in.

Post by Guest »

unknownpseudonym wrote: also given that you have to be 18 to play them how about something racy, (not loosey pinder).
How about LOTHARIO

You are faced with a woman of increasing eagerness and, underneath her mugshot (with animated winking etc), you are given jumbled chat-up lines of increasing length, like:

easy you i'm are

or

eyes are like spanners every time you look at me my nuts tighten your

which you have to re-assemble within a certain time limit (which itself diminishes the further on you are in the game).

Each chat-up line leads to a new photo of said woman, looking keener and keener (possibly in different situations too) on a sliding scale of at the supermarket to falling out of a taxi sloshed but requiring syntactically more and more complex chat-up lines to convince her to take the short walk to the groinwagon you have parked outside.

I HAVE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE THAT THIS IS EXACTLY HOW SEDUCTION WORKS IN REAL LIFE, BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON IT.

PS - Pubs can customise the game to include the landlady's features, if the game is proving too popular.

copyright VB 2006
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

I'm speechless! LOL

That is quality...!

davejon

Post by davejon »

word up with a new level once you clear the board.
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

That's verging on Leisure Suit Larry territory. Can't wait to see the end game where you win the money.