What would you like to play?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
SWP

Post by SWP »

That would be the part where the game stiffs you, pounding away and no money shot er... money at the end of it

Post by Guest »

davejon wrote:word up with a new level once you clear the board.
Yeah - that should be easy for you to program too (tho there may be copyright issues):

10 RUN 'WORD UP'
20 IF GRID CLEARED THEN GOTO 10
30 END 'WORD UP'
tka

Post by tka »

Good post, and good ideas. I'd like to see a decent poker game which wasn't so obviously rigged.

And EWQ, Leisure Suit Larry was class. I remember waiting 10 minutes for it to load and then get electrocuted straight away. :( . Never got to the bird :( :(
No wonder I drink!
tka

Post by tka »

About Knightmare I found this which was quite funny...

http://www.playgroundlaw.com/cgi-bin/browse.pl?sid=2344
No wonder I drink!
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

I look forward to the word "groinwagon" appearing in quiz machine games at the next update.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Yeah - that should be easy for you to program too (tho there may be copyright issues):

10 RUN 'WORD UP'
20 IF GRID CLEARED THEN GOTO 10
30 END 'WORD UP'
LOL!!!!

If something in this ilk were to be made, each level would have to be a lot easier / smaller than current WU variety - getting progressively more complicated as you go.

Another factor to remember when making these games, is that you have to limit each play to a reasonable time scale...

Will start work this weekend (after the little task of moving house this Friday!) and keep peeps up to date...

Cheers All!

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

New games

SPOILERS
The quiz game where all questions are Spoilers. You are given 20 lifelines but even with those twenty lifelines you will still find it impossible to win £1. If you somehow manage to blag a quid it gives you a double or quit that will be always be a mistyped question. All machines to come with shatterprooof screens. When you lose a picture of the programmer smirking appears.

SCRABBLE
As per the board game- you get a juicy 30 seconds to find your first word as you play against an intially thick AI. Very soon you have approximately 0.001 of a second to pick your word as the computer gives itself all the x's, z's and blanks whilst leaving you with 7 a's. Money awarded by points scored etc ie money never gets awarded
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Maybe a new game should be:

SOUR GRAPES

The object is to ruin the local vineyard's wine production for the season by lacing the wine with citric acid.

Alternatively:

GENOCIDER

You answer questions to build up an army, and when you think you've got enough you invade a country of your choice. You can also get bonuses like Russia supporting your campaign, cheap nukes from Kazakhstan, or bummers like your soldiers breaking the Geneva convention, North Korea turning you into a wasteland, etc.
cool

Post by cool »

I WOULD LIKE A NEW LUCY PINDER MACHINE FOR THE MORALLY
RIGHTEOUS AMONG US. SHE STARTS OFF NAKED AND YOU HAVE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND DO TASKS TO GET THE TART TO PUT HER CLOTHES BACK ON.NATURALLY I WOULD FAIL AT ANY QUESTIONS / TASKS FACED!
tka

Post by tka »

ZAX wrote:
SPOILERS
The quiz game where all questions are Spoilers. You are given 20 lifelines but even with those twenty lifelines you will still find it impossible to win £1. If you somehow manage to blag a quid it gives you a double or quit that will be always be a mistyped question. All machines to come with shatterprooof screens. When you lose a picture of the programmer smirking appears.
Sounds about right!
No wonder I drink!
cool

Post by cool »

FOR SPOILERS SEE ITBOX.....................
cool

Post by cool »

INTRODUCING DICKHEADS. YOU ARE UP AGAINST FOUR COMPUTER
GENERATED SMUG GITS . YOU ARE ASKED A QUESTION . YOU ANSWER
A OR B, C , D . THEY ANSWER A QUESTION IN TURN BUT GO INTO
EXCRUTIATING DETAIL OF HOW THEY REACHED THE CONCLUSION THAT THEY DID AND GIVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR WOW LOOK AT ME IM A GENIUS. E.G WHAT IS THE HIGHEST MT IN THE WORLD. ITS ' A 'EVEREST , A MOUNTAIN SITUATED IN THE HIMILAYAS RISING TO A HEIGHT OF 29,028FT AND FIRST CLIMBED BY EDMUND HILLARY A BEEKEEPER FROM NEW ZEALAND , AND FIRST CLIMBED BY A WOMAN IN 1975 .............. YAWN YAWN AD NAUSEUM .
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

an SWP crossover with the tv quiz going for gold would appeal to the nostalgics. if they could get footage of when i was on it that would have punters queueing up to poke me in the eye. i behaved only marginally less excruciatingly than tarrant does.

the format of GFG seems ideally suited to SWP and i can't imagine the license would be that expensive.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh - I remember the GFG show, can't remember much about the actual gameplay though... Anyone care to enlighten?

TV gameshows are definitely good starters for SWPs. (The game I'm currently working on (11th Heaven) is loosely based around the numbers round in Countdown.

Just a OT question about 'Sum Up' - now I've never played this, so shoot me if I get this wrong, but do I assume you have to make the highest score possible from a sequence of numbers / operators? Does anyone know how (or if) bracketing is implemented? I want to try and use this in my game, as obviously:

2x3+1-2 can be interpreted differently depending on where the brackets are.

Or, does Sum Up just work on a 'sum by sum' basis, such as:

2 times 3 then add 1 to that total then take 2 from that total etc...

Hope I'm being clear there...

:)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

yep, it works on your sum by sum basis. (also consequential numbers without operators imagine a +)

gfg was 9 people from different countries, first 4 to get answers right went into the next round where there were questions of incremental difficulty for 1,2 or 3 points first 3 to get up to 8 points went through.
3rd round you chose a category from a choice of 4 and had to get 4 answers correct in a row.
in the final you had a tiered time grid allocated in turn to each player. if you won you got a paperweight and a place in the weekly final.
look on wikipedia for a more detailed lowdown.
it is actually remarkably sophisticated compared to some of today's tv dross.
nobody ever wins on those things.