Quiz

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
blackmogu

Post by blackmogu »

I was talking balderdash. On closer inspection the advantage is removed when the higher prize is eliminated under DOND when you have the middling prize. This situation cannot occur in Monty as the high prize is not allowed to be eliminated.

H = high prize, M = middle prize, L = low prize.

[Dond]

1. Pick H, swap loses.
2. Pick M, eliminate L. Swap wins.
3. Pick M, eliminate H. Swap loses.
4. Pick L swap wins.

[Monty]

1. Pick H, swap loses.
3. Pick M, eliminate L. Swap wins.
4. Pick L, eliminate M. Swap wins.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
cp999

Post by cp999 »

-deleted- gone away to think about this!

I have seen the £20 come up though. @David Healy, I was also offered 11,000 to qualify but eliminated boxes "too quickly" due to them not having questions in them, and the banker's offer after the first round was about 6k despite all the high boxes remaining(!) I might add that that particular terminal was one where I also got one of my (five, I think) 1-100 £20s.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

I only ever won £20 once on the original DOND, but I do remember from that time that very low points targets (was 11,000 the lowest possible?) didn't seem to provide any guarantee of a bigger prize.

To pick up David Healy's original theme, I nabbed my first ever "top prize" on a slightly more recent old game on Friday night - Choose to Lose, which appeared on a KUDOS. I say "top prize" as the JP was £20 for 20 correct answers but I always played that one in what I suspect was the more common way, namely to try for 20 wrong answers for £10. The controls the game kept when you got closer to a full set of 20 wrong answers were to switch to two answers instead of four, and to speed up the timer considerably. I had both of those kick in for all of the last eight questions, four or five of which were real 50/50 guesses, so it was a nice moment to see all 20 come in.