quizard

Post by quizard »

cool wrote:But I wouldnt like an enforced layoff missing out on a fortune
You making that much then cool? LOL
cool

Post by cool »

No!

Potless.

What little I win goes on day to day living and thats the truthe.

As I am paying nought into my account for at least two years my bank is getting on my case.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

grecian wrote:I can vouch for both Nil Satis and cp999 as being truly excellent players, having met them both, although as one would expect, cp999 being a full-timer is performing at the very highest of levels which NS being a part-timer has not been able to equal other than on occasional titles. For me that illustrates what has happened: the very best full-timers have been able to survive this downturn fairly easily, but the cut-off mark for profitability, which was previously low enough to allow talented part-timers to make decent amounts, has risen sufficiently high to make life very tough for talented part-timers. I’m not in NS’s league so I expect he’s doing better than me, but I’m not surprised if it’s a struggle for him.
Thank you - very kind. I have been away (far from quiz machines) for 10 days so am only just catching up now.

As it happens, I am on track to make pretty much the same amount (+/- 10%) as in three of the last five years - 2011 was a poorer year as for work and other reasons I didn't get to play or travel as much, and 2009 was a very good year as I managed to 'crack' Are You Smarter Than a 10 Year Old? at a time when it didn't seem anyone else in my main geographical area had. That was certainly a time exactly like you describe in your post, especially as finding a virgin location often meant taking both the £50 and the £25 prizes!

I've kept things up this year by travelling to some locations I hadn't really explored before so I have found lots of new (to me) sites but in the places relatively close to me which are of the right size to allow me to be confident of keeping track of every location, I have logged a loss rate of between 30% and 50%, i.e. no machine at all where there used to be one or more. In addition much of what is left is not worth repeat visits, for me at least - most Gamesnets, Ind:es, Opens, the cutdown Paragons after they've been 'done' once and so on.

I don't see how or why things will get better from here on in, although as cp999 says things have been very good for a select few. The economics and changing demographics of the pub trade and the poverty of most of the industry's offerings seem to guarantee a continuing decline. There will however still be money out there for that select few for a while yet and if they have saved sufficiently during the good years then they should be able to manage.

Hope to see some of you again in the real world from time to time!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

I'd be delighted to make this year what I did in 2010 or 2011. Funny thing is, I looked at some of the videos I had on my old phone from back then, and thought "how did I make so little?" ;)
cool

Post by cool »

Major change on QZONES

games warehouse hav taken flak about display and now hav installed a screen where you can see all the games in one place

No games seem to have gone but there are tweaks the most notable of which is a reduction to 5pounds (MOTD) with completely different skillgames..
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

is that V 6.4?

skill games are now?
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

cool wrote:Major change on QZONES

games warehouse hav taken flak about display and now hav installed a screen where you can see all the games in one place

No games seem to have gone but there are tweaks the most notable of which is a reduction to 5pounds (MOTD) with completely different skillgames..
Interesting. Hopefully Pointless will be on a few more machines...still only two in the north east at the moment. I actually have never tried to JP MOTD as the bonuses go too easily. Tended to bank on £2 or £3. Rarely on the £5.
cool

Post by cool »

pointless is on! Afraid I didnt check the edition (d'oh) or look for skill games as they dont interest me.
I will do a better job as soon as I spot another one , unlikely to be out again this wk so will prob get beaten to it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

For the answers to the above questions see here:

http://gwhl.co.uk/index.php?Company=News
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Pub Quiz returns, presumably with 30,000 new questions, lots of them asking which of these extraordinarily obscure films was made first...
cool

Post by cool »

Press release 'An improved MOTD'
Who hav they got testing the games stevie wonder? (Or nil satis / grecian on)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Not me, guv - if I'd have been involved in their testing, I'd have done something about the world's loudest warning siren that went off on me tonight for an alleged attempt at 'Note Fraud' - the Paragon in question was not taking coins, and the plug wasn't accessible for the usual 'turn off and on again' routine that often cures that still all too common problem, and all I'd tried to do was have a couple of goes at putting a perfectly legitimate tenner into the note acceptor. Luckily the siren only lasted about 10 seconds and the staff showed no interest in it but it certainly woke me up I can tell you...

The claim about Pub Quiz coming back is an odd one, given that it's never been away, unless they mean they have removed that stupid 10p per go introductory game, which anyone on here could have told them was a duff idea.

I only spotted one possible version 7.0 on my travels this weekend, which was a box with just Pointless and The Chase on (and nothing else) - as close as you can get to a standalone without actually being a standalone.
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

I don't play much on quizzers but seen many be replaced by a table (this used to happen with fruit machines) or they get swapped for a fruity because they make loads more money.
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
cool

Post by cool »

I dont think anybody has explained the wide variation in total number of games available within updates, Is it due to number of plays , wins or rental costs? (The maximum number of games available on the new 7.0 update appears to be 25)