Game Over

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
BFK

Post by BFK »

Ha ha Romford had some good stuff a while back!!
ob

Post by ob »

Full empty deleted
JG

Post by JG »

Gibberish minimised
JG
JG

Post by JG »

Gibberish minimised
JG
AMK

Post by AMK »

Gibberish maximised.
... Join The Party!
JG

Post by JG »

Gibberish! Give me my gibberish!
JG
amazing

Post by amazing »

JG wrote:Lose small femur excavation.

When I got to Queen's Marsh they were being done. Really Rowgis was burnt and the machhenine x is still there on version twenty to midday. Up to grizzlytreesubstance road and also crap. I was considering saying hi to Arnold or drinking some Bulwell cider but at 3pm the thingy bone was no longer there so I played a trump card and poached for the sash.
Oy get off my land!
Enjoying life to the max!

I'll be back
Plumy2k

Post by Plumy2k »

Actually JG rob landed 2 500's. Slow day for him really.
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

Nil Satis wrote:Without wishing to put words into his mouth for him, I think you'll find David was talking about the SWP/quiz machine world rather than the wider AWP/fruit machine world.

I made a typing error! It was meant to be SWP!!!
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Pretty much Game Over imo. I keep finding pubs that have replaced their paragon with a fluffy toy machine! I remember when I first came across this site - well, the original version - and there'd be almost monthly updates on the itbox. There's barely a new game that appears now. Nearly all the machines apart from the Paragon are worthless - very hard to win more than a couple of quid. Even on the Paragon it's all £10 JPs. Sad days.
David Healy

Post by David Healy »

David Healy wrote:Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong.
I have to admit that I posted this message after spending an evening traipsing around my locale for the first time in many weeks to find nothing but the 4 quiz game menus on offer. I had assumed that this situation must have been replicated across the country, but recent forays wider afield have shown this not to be the case.

Therefore I take back my "Game over" comment despite the overwhelming silence from the majority of quiz regulars (I am ignoring the gibberish posted in this thread by our AWP cousins), but even Cool has to admit that he can hear the fat lady clearing her throat..........
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's not Game Over yet but there certainly aren't many Try Agains left for the business.

As you have noted, there isn't yet a full takeover by the rubbishy cut-down Paragons, and indeed in some of my locations they have appeared and then been replaced by a full menu Paragon again, but where they have appeared it's basically that pub giving up on trying to have a quiz machine with a decent turnover.

The problem is that the full menu Paragons are basically all that now remain in terms of anything worth playing. The other companies have either completely stopped developing and updating their products or what they do release is 95% pitiful. Take that latest version of Millionaire on the Gamesnets as an example - can there ever have been a paler imitation of a classic game than that? As far as I can tell the questions have been graded by someone who has never done a quiz in their life. I have had plenty of questions at around the 500 points mark that are as close to unknowable as makes no difference. Joe Punter doesn't stand a chance.

But the single most important issue is machines being removed. Once they go, it's less and less likely that they will ever come back. On Monday I found three gone from a relatively small town centre since my last visit there only a few months ago, including from a Wetherspoon's that had previously always had one, and lost two more from my local area last night.
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Was in the pub and mate was on a Seal...Meanwhile a guy on the quizzer next to it loaded up Word Soup. He completed the grid and the £1 wasn't even in sight. That's the kind of shit that puts me off a whole lot of games. You've played the game to the maximum extent that it can be. No more words, no extra grid or anything, when that 500 bonus points has been given, that's game end. It's been round the Q&A games for some time as well, winning piddly amounts like 20p for a perfect clear.
The new Pointless isn't too bad though. A bit reliant on lucky guessing and it could make up the results, but chances to win are always there...unlike Eggheads which essentially could just have everything correct and even if you were Brain of the Universe you'd be stuck in an endless Sudden Death.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:It's not Game Over yet but there certainly aren't many Try Agains left for the business.

As you have noted, there isn't yet a full takeover by the rubbishy cut-down Paragons, and indeed in some of my locations they have appeared and then been replaced by a full menu Paragon again, but where they have appeared it's basically that pub giving up on trying to have a quiz machine with a decent turnover.

The problem is that the full menu Paragons are basically all that now remain in terms of anything worth playing. The other companies have either completely stopped developing and updating their products or what they do release is 95% pitiful. Take that latest version of Millionaire on the Gamesnets as an example - can there ever have been a paler imitation of a classic game than that? As far as I can tell the questions have been graded by someone who has never done a quiz in their life. I have had plenty of questions at around the 500 points mark that are as close to unknowable as makes no difference. Joe Punter doesn't stand a chance.

But the single most important issue is machines being removed. Once they go, it's less and less likely that they will ever come back. On Monday I found three gone from a relatively small town centre since my last visit there only a few months ago, including from a Wetherspoon's that had previously always had one, and lost two more from my local area last night.
A Wetherspoons near me which always had two machines now has none - plenty more going as well. Not sure if it could be because they don't make money any more or if they break down too often and the staff can't be bothered with all the rigmarole of "Leave your number and we'll ring you back to collect your two quid"
JG

Post by JG »

Am I right in thinking these rubbishy Paragons are the ones with the screen in quarters? One quarter being eliminator, 100-1, million pound drop and The Chase. Traditional SWP fayre. The rest is MegaTouch, roulette style gambling games and other such pointlessness.
JG