Pointless

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
paragoon

Pointless

Post by paragoon »

I've said this before but seeing as there's no other banter on here I'll say it again: Why the hell hasn't Pointless made it onto the menus as a game? It's really popular and Joe Punter would love it.
HornyNick

Post by HornyNick »

I agree. but it depends how it works. The chase is is actually a terrible game for the passersby. Too much work for what is not enough a decent prize. I can see any pointless game going the same way.
Sex is not the answer.
Sex is the question.
"Yes" is the answer!
cool

Post by cool »

its just a rip off of family fortunes in reverse.amazing how the helper becomes the 'celebrity' and quiz shows in general are just vehicles for the buffoons that present them.a good question to the forum which presenter is the biggest twat.at least in most incidences when converted to a game we dont have to put up with them and when we do can latterly turn off their banal witterings.
cool

Post by cool »

unfortunately nobody has attempted to turf me off the forum for my banal witterings!
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Spookily I have had my first few goes at a new game on a Paragon tonight and guess what it was...? Yep, Pointless. It has actually already been trailed for a little while on GWHL's redesigned website, so I assume it's one of theirs (and incidentally the same website also seems to confirm my guess that the licensing issue with The Chase has now been resolved).

My first impressions are that it's a very faithful adaptation of the show and that it will definitely get some punter play. You go through knockout rounds against a reducing number of opponents, ending up in a cash round against the CPU (the first time I've ever seen that terminology used on a quiz game). Here the prize pot seemingly starts at £5.00 and increases by 10p after each losing game. I made the cash round once and didn't get anywhere as the opponent's answers suddenly moved into genius territory (i.e. 3 or 4 points only each time) after previously being a lot more sensible. Maybe it will get a little easier once a certain amount of cash has gone through it.

It's not a game I can see myself devoting any time to but I am sure it will find its fans both here and in Punterland.
cool

Post by cool »

10p increase per loss sounds like eggheads
Sixbomb

Post by Sixbomb »

Had a go and got to the final round. You have to get a perfect 0 answer to win the cashpot. At least the irritating bloke who presents the tv show is not in it.
wires74

Post by wires74 »

anybody won anything on this yet ?
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Won on it twice. OK it wasn't just me there but our group won. Cashpots were £7.30 and £4.
Seems to be decent enough I find. Can often let you through to the 3rd round unless you get a really obvious/incorrect answer. The opponents do move into genius territory but it relies on some lucky picking here. Least if it's a draw, you get the point. Only concern is if it bends results sometimes, then again if the same topic comes up they'll have to keep the results the same.
Decent adaption, far better than Eggheads, and no Alexander bloody Armstrong!
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:Spookily I have had my first few goes at a new game on a Paragon tonight and guess what it was...? Yep, Pointless. It has actually already been trailed for a little while on GWHL's redesigned website, so I assume it's one of theirs (and incidentally the same website also seems to confirm my guess that the licensing issue with The Chase has now been resolved).

My first impressions are that it's a very faithful adaptation of the show and that it will definitely get some punter play. You go through knockout rounds against a reducing number of opponents, ending up in a cash round against the CPU (the first time I've ever seen that terminology used on a quiz game). Here the prize pot seemingly starts at £5.00 and increases by 10p after each losing game. I made the cash round once and didn't get anywhere as the opponent's answers suddenly moved into genius territory (i.e. 3 or 4 points only each time) after previously being a lot more sensible. Maybe it will get a little easier once a certain amount of cash has gone through it.

It's not a game I can see myself devoting any time to but I am sure it will find its fans both here and in Punterland.
Seen it once. Won £3.50.
Next go - impossible.
As you say, punters will play it and to be fair it's better designed than The Chase.
grecian

Post by grecian »

I've played this a few times. Quite fun but highly controlled and far too many film questions of a prodaic kind.
JG

Post by JG »

Cashpot at £6.60

Through to the final round heads up. We both have equal points, I think this was for the decider.

Monty Python sketches.

I chose the Lumberjack Song (42)
They chose Restaurant Sketch (6)

Uber blast! So close yet so far

Quite entertaining for a quiz munter like me.
JG
grecian

Post by grecian »

Surely 'Lumberjack' is one of the most famous of all Python sketches!
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

grecian wrote:Surely 'Lumberjack' is one of the most famous of all Python sketches!
Don't get me started!
Quite like this now although it's bonkers. It's all about the penultimate round really.
Cf

Post by Cf »

I think it'd be better if they found a way to do it without the all or nothing format. Maybe getting 5 points in the last round = £1, 2 points £2, 0 points £whatever. It's not quite in the same spirit as the show but would make it a bit more accessible I think. There's only so many goes people will have without winning anything before they stop playing all together.

The chase has a similar problem whilst at the same time coming across as a bit impossible! A target of 19 in the final chase just to win £1 with the chaser getting every single push back seems absurd. Obviously if the game isn't ready to pay its not ready to pay but seeing all of the work required just to win £1 is very off putting.

Oh, and a question about the chase. Has it always had that final round? We could swear we have won before just by getting home with the money...