Current state of play then?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

what do the "top" quizzers like yourself make per year nil? fruit machines have had some huge earning potential in years gone by but i've always thought of quizzing as alot of hard work for fuck all - you don't even know the empties when they're about most of the time? my biggest day - a 4 hour session playing straight in 1 location would need you to find 50 quizes full, and for you to empty every single one for nothing every 4 minutes to match up....
quizard

Post by quizard »

bubbles wrote:fruit machines have had some huge earning potential in years gone by but i've always thought of quizzing as alot of hard work for fuck all.
Quiz machine pro's could make £1k a week back when Fruits had a JP of £4 in tokens, £2 in cash. LOL
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Yeah, how many quiz pros were taking those 'who wants to be a millionaire' jackpots all over the coast in the late 90's....

Quiz guys have made some decent money over the years, I've met a couple... There used to be quiz machines in places where you didn't need to buy anything to play them... Close to zero heat and usually the privacy to do whatever they want...

A couple of the guys on here have been on tv shows and won a decent amount through that too I believe?

Also, afaik, no one has ever run £400 through a quiz unit to get red boxes on an empty and ended up walking £50 down with an IOU and a barring.....

One guy I know claims a profit of 10-30 per decent pub, and at the most a £5 loss(including drinks) in a bad one...

Fruit machines (at the minute) offer a higher potential profit per machine, but also a much higher risk.

I just wish I was clever enough to be able to do the games on the SWP
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

i wasn't knocking the quizzers, just curious as to the figures. still i doubt very few have made a comparable amount to the successful fruit player over the years. Spyder, have you ever known anything about fruits? lots of comments, obviously made from someone with limited knowledge of the past and present in the world of fruits. from my viewpoint and knowledge it's drivel.
messiah

Post by messiah »

I remember wordwise or wordwheel or somethign similar had a load of names prepopulated on the high score board including vajjy b, and a few other common ones
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

bubbles wrote: just curious as to the figures. still i doubt very few have made a comparable amount to the successful fruit player over the years. Spyder, have you ever known anything about fruits? lots of comments, obviously made from someone with limited knowledge of the past and present in the world of fruits. from my viewpoint and knowledge it's drivel.
Yeah it probably is drivel.... I dont play much anymore, I used to play more years ago when they were £25jp.
as with all aspects of life, there's always someone above in the food chain.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

bit sniffy there Bubbles old chap, did your butler spit on your kippers again?
nobody ever wins on those things.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

lol sorry about that... history in another thread
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

bubbles wrote:what do the "top" quizzers like yourself make per year nil? fruit machines have had some huge earning potential in years gone by but i've always thought of quizzing as alot of hard work for fuck all - you don't even know the empties when they're about most of the time? my biggest day - a 4 hour session playing straight in 1 location would need you to find 50 quizes full, and for you to empty every single one for nothing every 4 minutes to match up....
If ever there was a "How long is a piece of string?" question but comparing the two (quiz machines and fruit machines) is all but impossible.

With fruit machines you can indeed win an awful lot more from one machine, and it can happen a lot quicker as well, but you can also have losing sessions and days to a level that would be physically impossible on a quiz machine - how long would it take to lose say £100 on an ordinary £70 pub fruit machine in a bad mood (even without that mood having been caused by the previous player being a pro and having milked it for whatever it was worth) - 5 minutes? Even less than that on £1 a go? I'm not sure how long it would take to lose the same amount on a quiz machine even if you were losing deliberately but I certainly don't have the boredom threshold to try to find out!

The other difference with fruit machines is that you are far more reliant on inside knowledge, methods, empties and so on, so that your good times may be good but your bad times will be much worse, unless you have a regular and reliable source of the information you need.

Playing quiz machines to a high level, on the other hand, is much more like a normal job, particularly these days. If you have the required knowledge and skills and have been prepared to put in the countless hours and days of hard work and travelling to reach the right level then you can rely on a reasonably standard income based on the hours you are prepared to put in. This is of course a generalisation, in that you are still reliant on the obvious problems such as faulty machines and/or games, machines being removed, getting barred (albeit that is much less of an issue for quizzers), other players beating you to the best games, decent games being removed and replaced by dross and so on, but you simply won't have losing days and you will virtually never have even a losing machine.

You also are not reliant on empties or methods or inside info, although of course an opportunity to use something of that nature does come up occasionally.

In the end, as I try to explain to friends, the actual activity isn't gambling at all, what you are gambling with is what could you otherwise be doing (work or leisure) in the many hours it takes to travel between locations and to play the machines themselves.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Sorry, but I disagree with a lot of that. No pro is going to throw £100 at an obviously screwed fruit unless there is a very specific reason (e.g. a combination of very high cashpots on certain machines). Yes, they may be reliant to some extent on inside knowledge but that doesn't stop anyone with a brain from trying methods or subsets thereof on clone or semi-clone machines. I'm pretty sure I can say with confidence that any serious pros I know treat fruit machine-playing as a job in exactly the same way that I treat quiz machine-playing. As to who earns more, comparisons can be drawn but are pointless. The theoretical earning potential for fruits is obviously higher but it's compromised by the vastly greater number of players. I met someone once who said he had literally met 2000 "proper" players on fruits but only 4 on quiz machines.
ob

Post by ob »

Quiz machine players must have bloody good memories I'll say that much for them!
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

you quizzers seen that film set in blackpool where les battersby keeps getting jackpot on the quiz machine at the end?!!
cool

Post by cool »

Fruit machine players tend to spunk money on smoking drinking and gambling on things they will lose money on.They tend to go around in two's or threes whilst quiz players are generally loners shunning company.Quiz machine players have a more disciplined approach to their work and holding on to their cash.Fruity players win fast and lose fast.Half expecting a local fruity player to appear on the fast and the furious.The fact that you never see a fruity player in a 'I make a 100 grand a year' type stories in the press probably means that everybody knows somebody who is doing it or alleged to be doing it.The fruity players I have met over the years have been often on meeting initially scary (one person followed me into the toilets and demanded to know who I was)but have always been friendly.The guy Ive seen the most is Shaun from the south coast and he is one of the friendliest and most entertaining people I have ever met.
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

lol does he look like a monkey?!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

cool wrote:Quiz machine players have a more disciplined approach to their work and holding on to their cash.Fruity players win fast and lose fast.
Ah, cool, your generalisations never fail to amuse. I'll have to tell someone I know that he holds on to his cash, is quiet and non-confrontational. I'll let you know how that goes.. :D