gerry?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
cool

gerry?

Post by cool »

saw an ancient article whilst surfing about 'Gerry' a law student in Coventry 1993 inThe Independent.Question for Quizmaster did you know the guy,was he any good and do you know if hes still at it? cheers and is it you!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ma ... 52988.html
bubbles

Post by bubbles »

interesting article. loved the final sentence ;)
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

lol.... bit harsh that last bit!!
quizard

Post by quizard »

You have a short memory span for a Quiz Machine player Cool.

showthread.php?11931-did-connect-four-k ... tbox/page2
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
cool

Post by cool »

I did vaguely remember seeing the article before but couldnt be bothered to try to dig it up from the depths of the forum.
Its a fair point though my quiz playing memory is a lot better than my actual general memory! Quizard you exposed my memory deficiency with your post! Bringing up old stuff at least benefits new members or perhaps not depending on the article.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

As I commented last time the article came up in this forum, I knew Gerry back in the dim and distant when it was written; I don't think I've seen him in the flesh since that time, so no idea if he stuck with quizzing (though in 25 years I've only once randomly bumped into another proper player when out and about, so that doesn't mean much). Things that I still know: parts of this are utter bollocks (wigs? you're having a laugh). Things that I still don't know: was I one of the nine West Midlands trivia masters? If not, who do I complain to?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The thing that always struck me as odd about that original article is why would they drive to a 'strange' town just to identify sites and then go back a week later. Why not just play the machines as and when you find them? However as with any such article there will always be facts that journalists misunderstand, summarise, simplify or just plain misrepresent, so you never know what the full details were.

As for your original question, cool, I would hazard a guess that the Gerry in question might well be one of the 'real world' SWP names that have kept appearing as the wrong answers to various questions down the years. I'm not going to give you the surname but you'll Kick yourself if you can't conjure it up with a bit of thought. I have always assumed those guys are either well-known players or industry names, so Gerry could be either.

(and, No, neither of the two allusions above refers to me!)
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Haven't been on for a while whilst house is being renovated, so apologies. I vaguely knew Gerry around the mid-90's, more by association than anything else. I used to knock around with a couple of his oppos for a while - Coventry John and Mad Matthew......I think John ma have passed away sadly. Don't know what became of Mad Matthew
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday