10p Pub Quiz

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
paragoon

10p Pub Quiz

Post by paragoon »

Good grief!
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Brace yourselves, the most spoiler of spoilers must be on their way with this humble offering!
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

could this be enough to get QM on the Soup?
ruthl3ss

Post by ruthl3ss »

edit: nonsensical abuse
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

how about an instant ban to help focus your time on your obvious mental health issues.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

For those that haven't seen this, it isn't actually a '10p a go' variant on an otherwise unchanged game - your 10p stake enables you to answer one question which then allows you to pick a box giving a number of moves along a trail, with something like 10 moves needed to qualify for the standard game. One of the picks takes you straight to the main game, but if you don't get that pick you can pay for a set of 10p goes to progress up the trail. The picking is no doubt meant to be skill-based, and presumably is in the development environment, but as we know in the real world the variable processing speeds and screen response times that you get from cabinets mean that you will be lucky to find a consistent experience.

The same idea has been applied to at least three other games - Piggy Bank, Hangman Saloon and Raiders of the Lost Quiz - and it is of course utter gash. Why spend 40p-60p to qualify yourself for a game that previously cost 50p to go straight into the main game?

On a similar note, has anyone seen the new variant on the Paragon cabinet which doesn't seem to have any branding (so may be someone else other than GWHL using a Paragon cabinet) but headlines Roulette and Blackjack as its two main games? It has a very limited selection of quiz/skill games, including the 10p Pub Quiz and that new game based on The Chase. It seems very odd to be releasing such a mixed set of games in one place, particularly since the spread of non-skill/gambling elements into the SWP world was what caused HMRC to intervene in the first place. The same applies to the two separate pseudo-Roulette games on the standard Paragons (Minesweeper and DOND).

It all stinks of desperation, and is just one more sign of an industry unable to fight back against the world changing around them. I have lost six pubs in the last week, i.e. they now have no quiz machine where no more than about two to three months ago they had one, and I don't mean rough backstreet boozers - these were the sort of city centre and/or suburban chain pubs that you have always been able to rely on for at least one quizzer - Wetherspoon's, Walkabout, Toby Carvery and Harvester.

Some of the trends that are working against the industry are clearly outside their control, but they seem to have lost the ability or the will to do anything positive about the situation.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Nil Satis wrote:For those that haven't seen this, it isn't actually a '10p a go' variant on an otherwise unchanged game - your 10p stake enables you to answer one question which then allows you to pick a box giving a number of moves along a trail, with something like 10 moves needed to qualify for the standard game. One of the picks takes you straight to the main game, but if you don't get that pick you can pay for a set of 10p goes to progress up the trail. The picking is no doubt meant to be skill-based, and presumably is in the development environment, but as we know in the real world the variable processing speeds and screen response times that you get from cabinets mean that you will be lucky to find a consistent experience.

The same idea has been applied to at least three other games - Piggy Bank, Hangman Saloon and Raiders of the Lost Quiz - and it is of course utter gash. Why spend 40p-60p to qualify yourself for a game that previously cost 50p to go straight into the main game?

On a similar note, has anyone seen the new variant on the Paragon cabinet which doesn't seem to have any branding (so may be someone else other than GWHL using a Paragon cabinet) but headlines Roulette and Blackjack as its two main games? It has a very limited selection of quiz/skill games, including the 10p Pub Quiz and that new game based on The Chase. It seems very odd to be releasing such a mixed set of games in one place, particularly since the spread of non-skill/gambling elements into the SWP world was what caused HMRC to intervene in the first place. The same applies to the two separate pseudo-Roulette games on the standard Paragons (Minesweeper and DOND).

It all stinks of desperation, and is just one more sign of an industry unable to fight back against the world changing around them. I have lost six pubs in the last week, i.e. they now have no quiz machine where no more than about two to three months ago they had one, and I don't mean rough backstreet boozers - these were the sort of city centre and/or suburban chain pubs that you have always been able to rely on for at least one quizzer - Wetherspoon's, Walkabout, Toby Carvery and Harvester.

Some of the trends that are working against the industry are clearly outside their control, but they seem to have lost the ability or the will to do anything positive about the situation.
Yes. Thanks for explaining it Nil - I'm just either too lazy or too frustrated to bother. As you say - why make people pay somewhere between 30 and 70pence to play a game you could just start for 50? It's insane. I got through to play having 'only' spent 30p (lucky me lol!) got hit by spoilers anyway. So when I lose - one look at going through hoops again made me not bother, even though I left 20p in the machine! These are called 'pub pods'. Why the hell they bothered wasting time and money into developing inferior product I don't know.
Up here in the north more and more pubs are going down the pretendy restaurant route - closing for refurbishment and reopening sans quizzer.
It's a royal pain in the ass.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Ah but they haven't changed the questions. Now is costs me 50p on average to win £10 instead of just costing me 50p. I'm just glad it's back.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday