SWP player breaking cover

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
wires74

Post by wires74 »

Beat the Clock what a great game that was 40 quid jackpots seems like a lifetime ago pissing around with 5 pound jp's doesnt quite have the same buzz
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Beat the Clock was an excellent if somewhat rip off of an earlier game called Every Second Counts. It had a fabulous feature in that you could rack up bonuses and passes until you had 9 of each, then go for the £40. Bastard when you messed it up though and had to start again.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
cp999

Post by cp999 »

QuizMaster wrote:Beat the Clock was an excellent if somewhat rip off of an earlier game called Every Second Counts. It had a fabulous feature in that you could rack up bonuses and passes until you had 9 of each, then go for the £40. Bastard when you messed it up though and had to start again.
Oh, thanks for reminding me of that scenario. I'd managed to erase the pain of it from my memory. ;)
Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

I remember when the milionaire machines made it on to prime time BBC watchdog program.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

had a couple of 40's out of wwtbam myself but they would have been on 1 or 2k for a quid lol, the thought of people doing it from 16k for a quid beggars belief( i might have been able to get a couple of quid lol). fastest finger would probably be a spoiler with a fast countdown and the nasty questions would kick in before the money surely?

so many of these about at the time even most arcades had them. there were 7 just on butlins in minehead and boy did they used to get played!
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

mr lugsy wrote:had a couple of 40's out of wwtbam myself but they would have been on 1 or 2k for a quid lol, the thought of people doing it from 16k for a quid beggars belief( i might have been able to get a couple of quid lol). fastest finger would probably be a spoiler with a fast countdown and the nasty questions would kick in before the money surely?

so many of these about at the time even most arcades had them. there were 7 just on butlins in minehead and boy did they used to get played!
Summer of 1999 or maybe 2000 EVERY arcade in Blackpool had at least one and often two with a broad split between £20.00 and £40.00. Such was the interest that you could play them for the JP on Saturday morning and they'd be ready for another punt by the Sunday afternoon. Was also the first place I saw one of the linked machines...
cool

Post by cool »

Linked machines still proudly keep the letters of acknowledgement and photocopies of the cheques.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

mr lugsy wrote:had a couple of 40's out of wwtbam myself but they would have been on 1 or 2k for a quid lol, the thought of people doing it from 16k for a quid beggars belief( i might have been able to get a couple of quid lol). fastest finger would probably be a spoiler with a fast countdown and the nasty questions would kick in before the money surely?
I preferred the 40s to the 20s but they were definitely rarer. From 16k it was only three extra questions.. 125k, 187.5k, 250k, 375k, 500k, 750k, 1m. The fastest finger question difficulty was random and didn't vary according to mode. Can't remember if it changed the speed though. Nasty questions didn't usually proliferate till about 64k/125k, though there could be exceptions. 4k or lower, you could get easy questions all the way up if you were lucky, and it was genuinely 15 questions.
maverick69

Post by maverick69 »

Roll_With_It_Russ

Post by Roll_With_It_Russ »

no mention of texas holdem game?
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

wires74 wrote:Beat the Clock what a great game that was 40 quid jackpots seems like a lifetime ago pissing around with 5 pound jp's doesnt quite have the same buzz
My local college had one of those in the student bar until the new rules came out. In March this year there was one in a chippy next door to Southport FC's ground. Great for a trip down memory lane.
BFK

Post by BFK »

Very interesting read this thread guys.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

My first JP was The Weakest Link. Can't understand how I spent years going to pubs in the nineties - actually up to 2002 and never took any notice of the quiz machines!
grecian

Post by grecian »

Excellent discussion - pleased to see at least someone began machining even later than I did, Paragoon (I started in 1996 aged 18, on the JPM Monopoly in our College Bar).

'Beat the Clock' was a magnificent machine which gave me quite a few JPs. I remember one time when out with pals in a pub on a Saturday night - despite having had a few, I potted it surrounded by an increasing large and impressed crowd. Ah, memories.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

My first JP was on 26 April 1986. I only know that because the Chernobyl disaster also occurred that day.