By Any Means UPDATED!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
rogerthymes

By Any Means UPDATED!

Post by rogerthymes »

HEy it's the new craze! Update the games! Change the water-course slightly! Change the balloon ride slightly! Put a spanner in the works of the cycle jump! Make it harder to win!
HAs there ever been a game where the update was easier than the earlier model?
Oops how could I forget - Caesar's Palace 2. What an update that was :-)
cool

Post by cool »

funny that eveybody mentions the caesars palace 'update' but never actually describes what the update was that allowed halfwits to empty the machines (halfwits in relation to their knowledge not in 'their' ability to find flaws in machines or games)
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Take it you heard it too late cool?
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

cool wrote:funny that eveybody mentions the caesars palace 'update' but never actually describes what the update was that allowed halfwits to empty the machines (halfwits in relation to their knowledge not in 'their' ability to find flaws in machines or games)
Hope you're not referring to me! I was already an expert on CP 1 and had JPed it many times, especially on the Gamesnets where it was £20 JP. Some kind soul finally told me what to do on CP2 as it was already on the way out - so sadly only got to do it about twice. If I'd known earlier I would have made a small fortune.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

rogerthymes wrote:Put a spanner in the works of the cycle jump! Make it harder to win!
This particular change is so dumb that I am genuinely mystified as to which of our two old friends (malice or incompetence) it should be ascribed to, but then surely no one would deliberately make such a snide and pointless change?

After the recent tweaks to several games it has become abundantly clear that no update is allowed to actually improve a game any more and so the demise of an industry carries slowly onwards...
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

rogerthymes wrote:Hope you're not referring to me! I was already an expert on CP 1 and had JPed it many times, especially on the Gamesnets where it was £20 JP. Some kind soul finally told me what to do on CP2 as it was already on the way out - so sadly only got to do it about twice. If I'd known earlier I would have made a small fortune.
I can't ever recall seeing CP1 on a Gamesnet. Wasn't it always a £20.00 JP?
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Nil Satis wrote:This particular change is so dumb that I am genuinely mystified as to which of our two old friends (malice or incompetence) it should be ascribed to, but then surely no one would deliberately make such a snide and pointless change?

After the recent tweaks to several games it has become abundantly clear that no update is allowed to actually improve a game any more and so the demise of an industry carries slowly onwards...
You have a brilliant way with words.
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

tonkarentino wrote:I can't ever recall seeing CP1 on a Gamesnet. Wasn't it always a £20.00 JP?
Yes you could well be right. I think it was easier to get the JP on the oval Gamesnet whereas on the itbox or the paragon you'd often have to settle for a fiver or maybe if you were really lucky a tenner.
It's odd to remember a time when the Gamesnet was the more generous machine now that you're lucky to get £2 out of it and it'll pretend to break down to avoid paying you even that!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Fwiw, whilst not disputing its eminent pottability under the right circumstances, CP1 could restrict you to only three keys. Not sure how you were getting £5 or £10 from those trails..

Dr Who was much better on the second incarnation incidentally.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

cp999 wrote:Dr Who was much better on the second incarnation incidentally.
Yep - agreed. Another example is the current Paragon Battleships game, where the first version only gave you one go at the end game, rather than five as it is now (with the metaphorical wind in your sails). My point was that you might be waiting a long time for the next game to be improved in such a way, certainly on the Q&A side at least.
tonkarentino wrote:You have a brilliant way with words.
You're too kind. I think I swallowed a dictionary as a child... :-)
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

cp999 wrote:Fwiw, whilst not disputing its eminent pottability under the right circumstances, CP1 could restrict you to only three keys. Not sure how you were getting £5 or £10 from those trails..

Dr Who was much better on the second incarnation incidentally.
Anyone who JP'd CP1 and had a game immediately afterwards will concur with that statement. Can anyone else verify that CP1 did in fact appear on Gamesnets?
cp999

Post by cp999 »

tonkarentino wrote: Can anyone else verify that CP1 did in fact appear on Gamesnets?
I'm fairly sure it was only on itbox.
Nil Satis wrote:After the recent tweaks to several games it has become abundantly clear that no update is allowed to actually improve a game any more and so the demise of an industry carries slowly onwards...
The Games Warehouse MOTD update has fixed one long-standing bug: namely that if you contrived to get the challenge bonus question wrong whilst having a try again, it took you back to the start of round one. Now it gives you another question (presumably if you get it wrong a second time, it's game over, but I couldn't summon up the ineptitude required to find out) and doesn't put you back. The ball shuffle is also different: now you can swap non-adjacent tiles, meaning that the "impossible" shuffle is now easy. Not that it was actually impossible, just long-winded.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Can we dare to hope that Gamestec might fix their import of MOTD then? I think we all know the answer to that one...

Unless it's just me being thick, I reckon a similarly annoying bug to the MOTD one occurs if you mistakenly pick three 'Redo Round' bonuses on Beat the Landlord - you get sent back to the previous round but are then asked to complete two rounds to get back to the beginning of the round where you had the Bonus, i.e. you have to redo the previous round twice.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Nil Satis wrote:Can we dare to hope that Gamestec might fix their import of MOTD then? I think we all know the answer to that one...

Unless it's just me being thick, I reckon a similarly annoying bug to the MOTD one occurs if you mistakenly pick three 'Redo Round' bonuses on Beat the Landlord - you get sent back to the previous round but are then asked to complete two rounds to get back to the beginning of the round where you had the Bonus, i.e. you have to redo the previous round twice.
1. Indeed we do.
2. You are correct. However, if in doubt, you can avoid selecting the third redo round by timing out.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Yep - that's what I meant by "mistakenly". However the urge is always there to pick quickly, given that you don't have a huge amount of time to find what is usually only three 'good' picks out of fifteen and trying consistently to follow one or more of the good picks as they move around at the beginning is certainly beyond me at least - it's much harder than it was on say You Have Won £20.