New Paragon Edition - Platinum Games

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

New Paragon Edition - Platinum Games

Post by Nil Satis »

I spotted a couple of these at the weekend. They are the latest release with the addition of three returning games:

- 1 vs 100
- Eliminator
- Nuts

1 vs 100 is a welcome return albeit that it seems to have been reinstalled in £3 JP mode. Eliminator has naturally had lots of new categories added but also seems to have been tweaked in difficulty - as far as I can tell you now only get 3 lives for the length of the game, rather than a lost life getting renewed in the early stages as in the previous version. Nuts has replaced the old layout's choice of two routes with a single (longer) route but otherwise the game seems very similar, although I only had the chance for one quick look at it so can't comment on how the end game might have changed.

As for what might have gone, I'd need to see more examples to be sure but the two cabinets I played were missing The Colour of Money and ... Pub Quiz. Could the long reign of that game finally be at an end?! Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth from one corner of Fruitchat if so...
Noels Beard

Post by Noels Beard »

I love Pub Quiz.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I always thought it slightly surprising that the update to Eliminator didn't come in more promptly. It seemed popular with Joe Public, so I presumed it was still a money maker despite the attention of professionals (I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd love to know how the figures stack up, just out of curiosity - do operators budget for losses due to the very small number of top-class players, and if so, do those losses ever have a significant impact on profits? Sorry, I used to be an accountant, but I'm better now, honestly). Plus there were already phantom categories in the original game which never appeared in their own right - the Blur songs which were the wrong options for "Oasis Singles", likewise the Welsh footballers who weren't Scottish, and the Brookside characters who appeared as red herrings in the Emmerdale category - so clearly those categories had already been written, but never appeared. Presumably the new categories are all tough ones along the lines of those sodding volcanoes and Cliff Richard songs?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Topical2009 wrote:Presumably the new categories are all tough ones along the lines of those sodding volcanoes and Cliff Richard songs?
The only one that sticks in my mind from the few goes I played at the weekend was 'Facebook Games', a true spoiler in that the list is long and it's very easy to make up plausible-sounding wrong answers.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Came across one of these units in Kent at the weekend. A welcome sight. What next? Bully??
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Came across one of these units...
They are almost that exciting... ;)

And yes, would love to see an un-rigged Bully make a comeback! ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

'Platinum games'?? is it a new machine or something? Off for a look around anyhow
cp999

Post by cp999 »

The Platinum Games machines are, in my experience, Sceptre units. Which of course means they aren't properly floated.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

rogerthymes wrote:'Platinum games'?? is it a new machine or something? Off for a look around anyhow
They aren't a new machine - they are Paragons in one of the existing cabinets. Of the two examples I saw at the weekend (both in Northampton), one had been branded 'Platinum Games' on the panel below the screen but I think the other one hadn't been altered at all other than the actual games having changed.
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

Nil Satis wrote:They aren't a new machine - they are Paragons in one of the existing cabinets. Of the two examples I saw at the weekend (both in Northampton), one had been branded 'Platinum Games' on the panel below the screen but I think the other one hadn't been altered at all other than the actual games having changed.
Cheers. Seen one today. Lots of different menus at the moment on Paragons.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Just posting as it says that I've not posted within the last 30 days.

Well, there is nothing to post about.
No new decent games, and the new (now old) message board layout is still dreadful.

Post made.

Can someone come up with a decent new game?

Can someone else change this cack message board? As mentioned before, I'm a member of a different Forum, powered by the same software. The other one is sooooooooooooo much better. Decent Avatars, decent icons, decent layout, decent front end, no adverts, not hosted on a commodore 64, etc, etc
Oh, I'm so scared.