The lights go out, one by one...

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
quizard

Post by quizard »

They have been overplayed by pros for the last 27 years. So what is new?
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
JG

Post by JG »

Because these pros have got an extra 27 years of knowledge that uffft, just guarantees jackpot every time and these machines can't handle the pressure any more.
JG
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

warburton wrote:The real reason that quiz machines are disappearing is that they are overplayed by pros.
This isn't the issue, or at least it is only a very small part of the issue - the number of real pros still playing is tiny, even if you widen the definition of 'pro' to include those able to win on specific games or types of games (the list changing as the games change). There have been more high level players around at just about any time since the first quiz machine came out than there are now.

What has happened is that other trends have developed outside the small spheres of influence that the game and machine companies have and they have become less and less able to respond to those trends - pubs have changed, the internet and mobile devices have appeared and gambling in general has become hugely more available to people - for those old enough to remember the days before the Lottery, mobile and phone betting, the betting companies actually being allowed to advertise (tot up the number of ads, sponsorships and product placements you see for gambling in and around just one live sports event these days), and so on, it's hard to conceive of just how things have changed. There are just so many more options available for the real/virtual spare change in punters' pockets.

The multigame cabinets now have too many poor games, with the money they take spread too thinly to make 95% of games appealing to anyone at any one time. I have just spent a full weekend playing, in which I visited 15 or so pubs and in not one pub did I (a) have to wait to get on the machine or (b) have anyone watching me or waiting to take over from me after I'd finished playing. The lack of interest was stark. THAT is why the business is dying.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

warburton wrote:The real reason that quiz machines are disappearing is that they are overplayed by pros.

I don't buy that at all. How come machines survived in the days of Adders and Ladders and Inquizitor? They were being emptied on a regular basis and one that had been found probably made very little money. As NS says, there are very few players around now who are worthy of the term pro and for them to be overplaying the nation's machines implies they must be working ridiculously hard.. the industry appears completely obsessed by the damage that pros can do.
cool

Post by cool »

Totally agree warburton is crackers.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

These Give Us A Break videos are fab - happy memories! Is this machine 'in the wild' somewhere or is it in someone's private collection?
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

Warburton is blowing his crumpet!
streakseims

Post by streakseims »

Is that the quizzer in the film I.D Where he pretends he cant read or write?
6 million ways to pie....choose 1
cool

Post by cool »

Warburton has intimated that the swp scene is brown bread.
cool

Post by cool »

Moderator needs to block warburton from posting before he gets on a roll.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

streakseims wrote:Is that the quizzer in the film I.D Where he pretends he cant read or write?
iirc it is
quizard

Post by quizard »

Nil Satis wrote:These Give Us A Break videos are fab - happy memories! Is this machine 'in the wild' somewhere or is it in someone's private collection?
It seems to be some guy who likes restoring old fruit machines as he seems to have a few of them as well. I don't know if he sells them.
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

cool wrote:Moderator needs to block warburton from posting before he gets on a roll.
moderator 'braces' himself
titchno1

Post by titchno1 »

Warburton is a thick cut
JG

Post by JG »

Yeast we not forget, this thread is not about taking the rise out of Warburton, but about who kneads the dough the most in these stale times.
JG