Pro and Casual Players

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
kingzilla

Pro and Casual Players

Post by kingzilla »

Just who are the pro and casual players that post on here.
Reading things that people say sometimes is puzzling regarding games that are good or bad. I mean some of you may say a game is good because it pays out a lot and bad because it doesn't but that could be from a Pro point of view and not from a casual player. Myself i would class as a casual player who likes word games and games that look slick and rich with great graphics and attention to detail, i know these are few and far between but i do enjoy them and not necessarily because they pay out a lot.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

I am extremely casual although I do go in Pubs purely to play the quiz machine/ actively seek out new pubs with machines etc which i guess is one notch up the seriousness ratings from Joe Public
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I play Pub Quiz, so on the graphics argument, I think it's fair to say I'm not in it for the look and feel of it.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

I play Pub Quiz, so on the graphics argument, I think it's fair to say I'm not in it for the look and feel of it.
Although I do particularly like the chalk-sfx when it's drawing up a question. :)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
messiah

Post by messiah »

Casual, mainly word games, more looking to pay for drinks rather than to make money. Expect to break even at least.

If I'm out with Bob or Fotherz expect them to do the hard work and win money and give it to me.

Except on John Parrot where I am a legend, obv.
grecian

Re: Pro and Casual Players

Post by grecian »

kingzilla wrote:Just who are the pro and casual players that post on here.
Reading things that people say sometimes is puzzling regarding games that are good or bad. I mean some of you may say a game is good because it pays out a lot and bad because it doesn't but that could be from a Pro point of view and not from a casual player. Myself i would class as a casual player who likes word games and games that look slick and rich with great graphics and attention to detail, i know these are few and far between but i do enjoy them and not necessarily because they pay out a lot.
I'm probably at the most serious end of the "casual player" description. I work full-time and rely on that for my income, and playing machines is just a rewarding hobby. That said, I take a good deal of pride in playing machines (and doing quizzes generally) well, and my main criterion for persevering with something is that I think it is or will become profitable. That said, there are some games I play for the enjoyable gameplay without a serious expectation of profit - I usually have a game of Monopoly for instance, as it's enjoyable and a good opportunity to see a fair few Channel One questions, and occasionally gifts you £4 or £5 (albeit not often enough to make it worthwhile in purely financial terms).

All the above is subject to the point that, because of work demands at the moment, I'm hardly playing at all (and when I do, it's on the same few burnt machines, so I hardly win anything!)
ROSSKEEN

Post by ROSSKEEN »

I would say I'm a casual player.

Gladly lose a tenner as long as I've had fun doing it, but would expect some form of return as I put my tenner through it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Look and feel is a 'nice to have' but for me it can never replace profitability. Take the current M&B Battleships game - the one that appears only on the Ind:es (I think). It looks beautiful but how many of us have bothered to keep playing it after seeing the garbage that is the end game a few times?

Here's a nice proxy for the distinction between pro and casual - a pro will look for, and use, the shortcuts that some games provide to speed them up - I'm thinking of games like By Any Means, Pub Quiz and Millionaire, where tapping the screen at the end of one question brings up the next one quickly (or some other similar timesaver). Casual players will not look for, or if they find them probably won't use, such shortcuts.
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

NOT casual :D
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Kaash
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

I occasionally seem to be suffering from white finger or some such rsi due to over-tappage of screen.
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Casual, mega casual, and crap, but enjoy it whenever I feel like a quiz. I'm awful at the questions and the skill but who cares, it's a bit of fun :)
steveseagull

Post by steveseagull »

Casual, but i play most days and expect to win. Rarely more than my beer money but i usually have some very cheap afternoons. Like others on here i enjoy finding new places to have a punt. If i do lose its no big deal and never more than a fiver or so, and anyway i can always go back and have another go!
In Gustavo Augusto Poyet Dominguez we trust.
Sakpi

Post by Sakpi »

I don't think there will ever be professionals like there were in the late 80's.
From 1986 to 1990/ 91 £200 was a bad day - after expenses .
Once the silly , random " skill " features were introduced and stopper questions arranged in sequence consistent heavy wins on machines became all but impossible .
I now play mostly for fun , even knowing 99% of a programme might get you a return of £1.20 on a 50p investment
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

Sakpi wrote:I don't think there will ever be professionals like there were in the late 80's.
From 1986 to 1990/ 91 £200 was a bad day - after expenses .
Once the silly , random " skill " features were introduced and stopper questions arranged in sequence consistent heavy wins on machines became all but impossible .
I now play mostly for fun , even knowing 99% of a programme might get you a return of £1.20 on a 50p investment

Welcome new member.
Your generalisations are erroneous. It has been quite possible to earn very acceptable rewards over the last twenty years and this is still the case to this day. Despite doom and gloom being currently spread on this forum (don't be put off, look for the sound advice) you really just need to identify the right banks to take on and the right games to play.
It's an open secret so I'll give you "By Any Means" as a starter, well worth looking at you just need to be good enough. Happy playing.