old skool bulbous ones
10%
gwhl oval machines
5%

Total votes: 20

Istenem

best choice of games

Post by Istenem »

we all know that less is more when it comes to win potential.
imo the paragon cabinets (upright machines, nine games with pint rests beneath edges of screen) have a brilliant selection at the moment. and i have had the best %age profit for a long time as well as actually enjoying playing on a choice of at least 5 good games, only trouble is whenever i go into a pub with a paragon someone is already playing it.
from machines in my area the games are 9 from:
bullseye (classic)
word up (classic)
golden showers (new and outstanding)
hex appeal (new and overpaying)
pink panther (reconfigured but okay)
scrabble (has a tribute to me! good spot prizes (and flight paths))
scary hangman (classic)
bollockbusters (tight as a gnat's árse)
std deluxe (reconfigured but still mean on time)
stb (potentially okay; see previous thread)
monopoly (classic but doesn't pay out often)
show me the mummy (takes too long)
i spy (not words, sometimes pays big)
magnificent 7s (reconfigured and now much easier)
ultimate movie quiz (never played it)
pool game (çrap)
trivia for dummies (shït)

probably some others like wwtbam and triple towers

anyway my opinion is that this is the best selection around at the moment (certainly better than the new offerings from itbox, notwithstanding hex appeal).

what are your thoughts about these games?
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

I've not really played the other machines so I can't give a more detailed analysis, butI prefer the Itbox to anything else, although I think it's just a case of personal preference. There aren't many Paragon cabinets in my area and I'm not overly keen on the single main screen; I prefer to hunt around for ages looking for games (it makes it more interesting and it fools you into thinking there are far more of them).

The pint rests are better positioned on the Itbox, too. They're tucked away on either side so are safer; on more than one occasion I've knocked my pint over whilst reaching behind the screen! Both the Paragon and the Itbox suffer in that there's nowhere to put an ash tray; I do like a smoke when I'm down to my last try again and its 50/50 for £5....

The games themselves seem to be pretty good at the moment. I'm a celebrity is back (and much harder to get anywhere) but you can't beat Stand and Deliver (a deliberately ambiguous statement) or Matrix. I've played neither Hex Appeal nor Silve.. sorry Golden Showers and it seems I'm missing out. I tend to stick to what I know but I must give them a try.

At the end of the day I play to enjoy before playing for cash so the more interesting the cabinet and the interface is, the more money I'll throw in the slot. Simple.

Oh, and Nic will be happy to hear your comment!
Still kicking about.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Paragon absolutely the best option for normal players currently in terms of payout. This is down to the fact that the top boys only care about itBox and Gamesnet, since they are the easiest to locate, have similar games, and you can make £100 a day without having to travel too far (cuts down on exes). You're lucky if you can find more than about 3 Paragons per town. INDE the same since they are harder to locate, and have less games than itBox and Gamesnet, making money turn round fater.

Seem to find that Paragon's get moved a lot more than the INDE's however - not sure why - but most don't last on site more than about 6 months - think it's becasue they only ever have about 5 really good games going at any one time and the other 4 are utter shite. Shite games discourage new punters
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

Technically, your post should read fewer games. I'm a pedantic bugger and I apologise for that.

Incidentally, did you all know that Squoze is an acceptable alternative to squeezed, and was actually the accepted alternative until 150 years or so ago? The more you know, eh?
Still kicking about.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

completely off-topic but Alan Lomax once said (of the 1920's in USA):

"They squoze and they squoze and they produced another generation of pedants just like the generation of pedants they wanted to replace. But without the beautiful manners."
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

QM, a couple of the big boys you refer to are guys i know. one of them goes by the name of hyena (axe on 3 letter games) and plays all over southern england. but some of my scores on word up were enough to make a hyena cry.
anyway, i won a bit on a sh;tbox yesterday but it is a pyrrhic victory to get £8 out of wwtbam and a few quid from mousetrap and spidey, i'd much prefer to shove a tenner through golden showers and eventually get £5 out.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

Demmers, where about in north Yorkshire are you from? I can't seem to find any quiz machines near me in whitby, maybe i'm just not looking hard enough, if you know of any near me can you tell me where to look, as i'm curious to see what all the fuss about these are and i'm yet to see one here.

Cheers
Demmerz

Post by Demmerz »

I'm from Skipton / Keighley. Can't think of anywhere near Whitby that has an itBox; strange considering the arcade games that plague an otherwise lovely town!

There are a few in Skipton, couple in Keighley and loads of itBoxes and Paragons in Halifax (both in West Yorks). Other than that, I can't help you!
Still kicking about.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Good post Unknown. I can't see how there's anything pyrrhic about winning £8 on a Millionaire, however. Golden Showers is curiously addictive, but shoving £10 in anything to come away with £5 is a strategy that's doomed to failure. You'd be better off going to a bookies and putting £10 on red.

Try the Resolution Hotel and The George Hotel in Whitby town centre if you want to find an itBox.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

maybe i was a bit clumsy in my choice of words; what i meant was that although i won £8 i lost the will to live.
personally i find wwtbam terrifically dull, and spidey and mousetrap (although relatively easy to win a few quid) take so bloody looooooooong.
at the moment i have a decent income from elsewhere so only play for recreation and to pay for my drinks.
agreed about golden showers though; addictive even if you lose.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Freedoddy

Post by Freedoddy »

drpepper...in whitby, you will find an Itbox in the George Hotel on the main road into the town! There was a gamebox somewhere else but i can't remember the name of the place...it was next to the harbour though!