premier league of darts

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

premier league of darts

Post by Istenem »

i love it.
bells and whistles and all that, it is a nice touch that each player has his own darts, down to the knurling and deflectors, i realise this is simple photoshopping but it does show high production values which your man in the pub will appreciate even if subliminally. i like that when you play jelle klaasen, the gameplay is noticeably quicker than e.g. PTPT. it is pretty offputting when john part throws like a spacker but that is part of the game.

there are several touches which, while essentially fripperies, do please me. for example, when your dart is near a wire it skews ever so slightly. it is wholly unneccessary but i enjoy it. as an amateur darts player myself, i get as much pleasure from daft accessorizing as from the game itself so it might have been a nice option to choose/design your own flights and/or loud shirt.

also, presumably PLOD owns the image rights to the players so a few more options of some of the funnier players (co stompe, anastasia dobromyslova, the gaunt viking etc.) would have been welcomed and if there is an update in the offing i'd put that as the second most pressing fix.
the first is that the computer players are too efficient. i don't mind if the computer needs to win but to do so in such a robotic manner will discourage punters. a better defence mechanism which i noticed was that it will often make you leave 166, 162 etc. this won't be nearly as noticeable to casual players as the efficiency of the computer.

it captures the essentially naff nature of darts which is a ridiculous sport, but one that i like very much. any pub game is good in my book.
one negative is that during one game where i was doing well (£7 from the quarters and cruising to the £9 prize for the semis), the game crashed out for no discernable reason, needless to say when it rebooted the money had been lost. i don't really mind but the next man surely will.

far from being plodding, it is an excellent title and i played it through four pints which i have not done with any other single game.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Re: premier league of darts

Post by grecian »

Istenem wrote: far from being plodding, it is an excellent title and i played it through four pints which i have not done with any other single game.
This doesn't sound like my kind of game, and any game which might mean punters are blocking a machine for four pints leaves me a bit nervous! Which cabinet is it on - Gamesnet?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

it is on the paragon. possibly a limited part of their estate (or a staggered rollout) as i went to three pubs yesterday and it was only on one of the terminals.
i agree that it will be of little interest to Q&A devotees but i doubt many people in the pub will play it as solidly as i was.
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

I have not seen this but with istis description it does sound like a re do of PTWD of few years back.
thecannonball89

Post by thecannonball89 »

Played this tonite while in a pub for the fruit. A fun game but probly skipps of the doubles.
Nixxy

Post by Nixxy »

I have a soft spot for Anastasia Dobromyslova - such a shame she went and got married.
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy
harry13.50

Post by harry13.50 »

This thing was flying first time i played it ( prob from fresh ).But now ive seen it when it wants you " beat " so to speak.

Bit different but i like it.
Barry Trotter

Post by Barry Trotter »

Premier League Darts crashing? Battleships offering no money in the end game? Who the hell tests these games.. or do they just send them out and hope for the best!
harry13.50

Post by harry13.50 »

Barry Trotter wrote:Premier League Darts crashing? Battleships offering no money in the end game? Who the hell tests these games.. or do they just send them out and hope for the best!
Ive just had this crash on me today too.Got beat in semi's and won £8.Pressed collect and got the blue screen sydrome .Hopper error call engineer !! The buggers wont pay untill its checked.The cheek.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Played this a few times the other night - needless to say it was after a few pints. However, I didn't immediately see how it could stop you from beating it (if you threw first and were actually any good at timing / aiming). Fair do, I was crap at it (will blame the beer in this instance!) - I like the way the reticle overshoots the bullseye to make it more difficult to go for!
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
ob

Post by ob »

this game aint the easiest is it, you pretty much have to get it within 12 darts the 501 usually as the computer always gets big scores and makes the checkouts nearly every time!!!

Not exactly over realistic really that!!!

Got that mystery prize for 180... guess what the prize was...

yes £1...
borgcontact4

Post by borgcontact4 »

Don't get used to it ...its one for the bin as HMRC have designated a gaming machine game. Skill it is not.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

perhaps true, but it is a game and a good game at that.
i have had the pot on it (never on the 2x bonus as yet) but got more pleasure from a nine-darter. admittedly both were on easy mode but it gives little league me a chance to mix it with the big boys and the opportunity to use my checkout arithmetic with a reasonable chance of making the shot.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

borgcontact4 wrote:Don't get used to it ...its one for the bin as HMRC have designated a gaming machine game. Skill it is not.
In what way is it not skill? Looked like skill to me
Oh, I'm so scared.
cool

Post by cool »

Ive hardly played it but if it is like the darts game on the opens where you toss a coin to see who throws first, if you are near the money and the computer is throwing first it is obviously programmed to check out first as the programme can deliver 9 dart games and you are stuffed whatever you do.I think that is what Borg means.We will have to wait for a response.