ItBox 67

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

ItBox 67

Post by Nil Satis »

Don't anyone be holding their breath out there...

Here is my understanding of what has changed, given the usual caveat that versions do differ so some of this may not apply to 'your' boxes:

NEW GAMES

- Battleships

This is the one with the really annoying 'screen shake' effect when you score a hit. The game itself seems very highly controlled - it will give the odd £2 or £3 (on the £1 game) but will happily then give the killer questions and/or only one or two ships to find.

- Go for Gold

A slightly new take on the numerous 'fill in the letters' games. There are three prize levels - Gold, Silver and Bronze - for which you need to collect 5 coins by moving up and across a grid (in a similar manner to some fruit machines, e.g. the 'Aliens' one). The prizes start at £3, £2 and £1 respectively and there are 'Cash Up' squares that add smallish amounts to those. I can see this one having quite a lot of appeal to punters but in terms of more serious dosh you are very unlikely to ever find it in a paying state as punters will nibble at those low prizes.

- Bounty Hunter

This has been on the Gamesnets for a while. I find it a poor and overcomplicated take on Caesar's Palace (made by the same people I think - Libra Games) with noddy 'skill' games and uninteresting questions. Hard to see who this would appeal to.

- John Parrott Sports Quiz

The same game as on the Gamesnets, i.e. some low-hanging fruit if you are lucky but it seems to be installed in non-pay mode on the ItBoxes and so you are equally likely to see impossible questions only 4 or 5 in.

- Hex Maniac

? - May not be new as it was on the back screen.

MOVED TO BACK SCREEN

(hence out of sight as far as many punters are concerned)

- Choose to Lose

- Robin Hood

GONE

- Rocket Money

In true Brando style this one really could (and should) have been a contender but was ruined by a ridiculous question set that had no concept of difficulty grading. If any game would have benefited from the sort of visit grecian and I made to GWHL to advise on its quality beforehand, this was it.

- Word Soup

:shock: A loyal customer base (not just the top boys on here - this is one of the games you ALWAYS see punters playing) and not liable to pay out huge amounts of cash to anyone. Mystifying to see it go when you see some of the garbage that has been retained.

DODGY INSTALLATION

One of the two 'headline' games on the front screen claims to be the £1/£50 Monopoly but disappointingly you find only the inferior 50p/£20 game instead.

Overall another poor showing from what was once the clear market leader.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Haven't seen one of these yet, but the departure of Word Soup sounds like a bit of a shocker - as you say, a favourite not just with the word mavens on here, but also with Joe Public.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Re Word Soup: I smell a disagreement between developer and operator. PITA when that happens.
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

Word Soup, gone?

(puts rope around neck)

I'd always assumed Bounty Hunter was purely a skill game. Will have to check this one out now.
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy! :D
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Wait until Istenem &/or QM see this! :shock:
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Indeed. Please do all bear my caveat in mind though - local variations do exist and it may be that the box I saw last night (in a Wetherspoon's place in the rural splendour of Oxfordshire) was a one-off. Nothing would surprise me however about the choices of those responsible for the ItBox!
cool

Post by cool »

with the sad news about wordsoup Quizmaster should be placed on suicide watch for his own good.......
cool

Post by cool »

not that Im inferring that Quizmaster is enjoying time at Her Majestys Pleasure.
dmac

Re: ItBox 67

Post by dmac »

xyz
BigEd

Re: ItBox 67

Post by BigEd »

Nil Satis wrote:GONE

- Rocket Money

In true Brando style this one really could (and should) have been a contender but was ruined by a ridiculous question set that had no concept of difficulty grading. If any game would have benefited from the sort of visit grecian and I made to GWHL to advise on its quality beforehand, this was it.

- Word Soup

:shock: A loyal customer base (not just the top boys on here - this is one of the games you ALWAYS see punters playing) and not liable to pay out huge amounts of cash to anyone. Mystifying to see it go when you see some of the garbage that has been retained.

Party!

My place!

Right Now!

Word Soup has gone!

There is a god!

Conga, Conga, Conga! It's party time!

So Sad, Too Bad, Ta Tar!

:D
Oh, I'm so scared.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

pity: now i can't write MORIBUND on an itbox.
nobody ever wins on those things.
foxy

Post by foxy »

Oh so much schadenfreude! (is that accepted incidentally?!!)
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

On the contrary. Feel sad for you guys who have lost your daily word meal. But 4 of the country liking it didn't mean it was a ground breaker. It went off because it didn't get enough plays I'd guess. NOW SIT UP AND LOOK YOU ARROGANT GAME DESIGNERS!
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

grecian wrote:Haven't seen one of these yet, but the departure of Word Soup sounds like a bit of a shocker - as you say, a favourite not just with the word mavens on here, but also with Joe Public.
Indeed. Hard to imagine they were losing money on it.