SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
theoak

Post by theoak »

I cant be arsed to read all of this, but I have always considered myself one of the best on SpotTD, it sounds vain I realise that, but I have never failed to get the top score on any std machine and obvioulsy always reach level 8 on the deluxe version. I never found much profit in these (after orginal spotTD) and have spoken to tsietisin recently, who apparently gave up around the std 2/deluxe time. Anyone still playing these for much profit? BJ/Ash?
ash83

Post by ash83 »

I am still playing these and making a small profit. I used to spend a considerable amount of time travelling around the UK playing these and made a fair few quid on each trip (especially when the emptyable versions were still around). Funnily enough, i went back to Melton Mowbry the other week to find that the last known emptyable version had been re-installed with the newer version of STDD.

The trouble these days is that there are so many dead machines. Many places now have paragons/Indie's/etc without STDD on and you have to go into the pub to find this out. I also got fed up with the amount of gamesnets that failed to pay out, crashed whilst playing or reset themselves. More gamesnets seem to be tunre doff these days as well.

The main problem these days is that nobody is really playing the game, so there is very little cash going into the game, meaning that once i have visited a machine, there is no real point going back to it for a while.

However, that said, the average amount of money i take from each new machine (i.e one that i havn't played before) is about £8-£11, so if i go to a new city and find 5 gamesnets, then there is about £50 to be made. It won't turn me into a millionaire, but it is a nice little earner when they can be found.

As i am now in full time work, i just don't have the time anymore though. I am going down south soon, where i have been told the location of 15 gamesnets which should make me a few quid.

It really is about time a new version of the spot the difference was released though. The version 2 on the itboxes is a complete and utter waste of space. Im sure that it must contravene some of the gaming boards regulations due to the fact that it is 100% impossible to ever win the stated prizes.

So yes, all in all, i am still playing, but no where near as much as i used to. Its still great to know that you are guarneteed a tenner when a new machine turns up.

PS - Try playing spot the difference on any gamesnet/paragon/paragon pro/Indie in Nottingham - every one is stone dead. I have taken all available profit out of them over the past year and the fact that they are contantly dead (very often not even offering a single £1 win on level 8) shows that hardly anyone i splaying them. the £1 version was good for a while, but again not enough people play it in between resets (as this version is constantly reset) meaing the cash amounts never have time to stabalise.
theoak

Post by theoak »

If im up there Ill make sure I do, whats do you log your name as? 'ASH'? random ?, but do you get head/eyeaches from the method?
grecian

Post by grecian »

Is anyone prepared to give any hints about the method? I'm not interesting in trying to use it; I'm just fascinated! Have you all developed it independently? How many others in the country do you reckon use it, going by scoreboards?
theoak

Post by theoak »

I worked it out myself many moons ago, before it was even on quiz machines! used to use it in newspapers etc. Its practically worthless now, unless they have a new national tournament for it and I can give the top score a battering!
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

I have tried and failed to implement 'the method'. While I have been able to get the images to overlap, the images became too blurred to make out any differences :(
theoak

Post by theoak »

there are two methods for magic eye. the 'relax' method wont really work on them. I had loads of magic eye books as a kid, then I found myself trying it on things in everyday life that were the same and next to each other, I remember doing it on the tube a lot; people must have though 'what is that cross-eyed freak doing?!' then I put it to a good use!
BJ2006

Post by BJ2006 »

grecian wrote:Is anyone prepared to give any hints about the method? I'm not interesting in trying to use it]

I have played extensively across the country, in all I think I have come across around 6 others who, judging by their scores, must have been using the method, add Ash, theoak, myself, the "autisic" guy and you have at least 10. The give away on deluxe is multiple scores on the same day over 190,000.
theoak wrote:Its practically worthless now, unless they have a new national tournament for it and I can give the top score a battering!
Expect some stiff competition should there ever be another tournament!
ggdr

Post by ggdr »

Apropos of not much, today's featured picture on Wikipedia looks extraordinarily like one of the Spot The Difference set images...
theoak

Post by theoak »

BJ2006 wrote:
grecian wrote:Is anyone prepared to give any hints about the method? I'm not interesting in trying to use it]

I have played extensively across the country, in all I think I have come across around 6 others who, judging by their scores, must have been using the method, add Ash, theoak, myself, the "autisic" guy and you have at least 10. The give away on deluxe is multiple scores on the same day over 190,000.
theoak wrote:Its practically worthless now, unless they have a new national tournament for it and I can give the top score a battering!
Expect some stiff competition should there ever be another tournament!
Can't wait! I'll ask my mate to make it happen.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

ash83 wrote: PS - Try playing spot the difference on any gamesnet/paragon/paragon pro/Indie in Nottingham - every one is stone dead. I have taken all available profit out of them over the past year and the fact that they are contantly dead (very often not even offering a single £1 win on level 8) shows that hardly anyone i splaying them. the £1 version was good for a while, but again not enough people play it in between resets (as this version is constantly reset) meaing the cash amounts never have time to stabalise.
Ash- know what I think Ive seen your handiwork - you dont put your name on the hi-score as ash though do you? Never play STD except in female company, so dont normally check the hi-scores etc , but the hi-score table had one persons name, in one day, on it about 5 times with scores of about 190,000+ :shock: that was in sherwood
roberto la vigna

Post by roberto la vigna »

Found out that one of my friends does the crossed eyes trick on this recently.
ash83

Post by ash83 »

Yeah, i always put my name on the hi-score list as 'ash83'. It amazing to walk into a pub, play a machine and find that my name was last entererd over 600 days ago!!

I am still playing machines in pubs accross the country that have been played by myself in other locations!! I walked into a brand new pub in Leicester the other day and played the spot the difference only to find that i had played the machine somewhere else previously!!!

I still have machines that i make regular profit on, but i dont have much time to travel round at the moment due to work commitments etc.

there seems to be so many dead machines around the midlands at the moment that i struggle to make more than £5 on. We need more people playing the machines, as most of the spot the difference's on gamesnets never settle down to their percentage.

Versions on the paragons and Indies regulary offer £5 and £7 and i have even had a £10 at level 8. Because these mahcine have far less games, more poeple play the spot the difference game. This proves that the only real reason why many gamesnet versions are dead is because they just don't get played enough. Everyone is played DOND instead!!!

And please if Sabec or Leisure link are reading this, please get rid of Spot the Difference 2 from the itboxes. This game is over 5 years old now and in my view, contravences several gaming board regulations (offering prizes that cannot be won). I don't know why advertising standards or the gaming board havn't investigated this bloody game. £20 cannot be won , never, 0% of the time and neither can prizes above £5 so why suggest to the player that they can!! All this game serves to do is show the lack of interest that Leisure link has in the players and the complete unfareness of their games!! It simply puts the company in a bad light.

Right, rant over, im off to take a tenner out of the gamesnet in the cornerhouse as i need to buy a new print cartridge.

Happy spotting people!!!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Maybe people are playing the DOND because they have 1 shot on STD and realise that it is absolutely impossible to win money because you've eked every last penny of value out of it?

I'm not having a go at you - I'd be doing the same thing in your position. But I wouldn't be moaning about the fact that not enough people are filling them up for me!
theoak

Post by theoak »

ash83 wrote:Yeah, i always put my name on the hi-score list as 'ash83'. It amazing to walk into a pub, play a machine and find that my name was last entererd over 600 days ago!!
Which pub? I'll come knock it off :wink:

Yeah, I agree with Cardinal Somewhat, people NOT using the method probably win a grand total of never. not suprised people never play it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing it actually!