Sceptre outed

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

More than 25 years later I can still remember the first time I realised machines could pay out in anything other than pound coins (it was a Barquest in the King's Arms, Oxford, and it was a bank of about £12, which all came out in 10p pieces). By the time the dreadful hammering had ceased - and it certainly felt as if it went on a looong time - the pub had gone completely silent, and everyone was staring curiously at the embarrassed individual who was scrabbling for small change in the coin tray. I'm breaking into a slight sweat just thinking about it.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Cops and robbers clubber used to as well
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

I'm in York on a little holiday and a Kudos with a Sceptre sticker on has just turned out to contain a grand total of 2 (two) pound coins. As I put a pound in myself to start with, that seems a slightly unambitious float on their part. Or is York one of those areas where a giant of the machine world has his home, and I should count myself lucky to have been paid out anything at all?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's possible that someone decent has played on the machine in the recent past but it is certainly a ridiculous situation. I managed to make a Sceptre Paragon IOU after paying out £14 (including a couple of my own coins) at the weekend, which I thought was bad enough - previously they have always paid out exactly or very close to £20 in the same situation, which is the best evidence we have that something dodgy is going on.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Machines which have not been won on recently should contain £20 (some rare exceptions are floated with more, usually £40). If it had £2 in it, that's just unlucky that you played after someone had been on it. The typical float level is set artificially through hopper manipulation so as to ensure that it cannot exceed £20. This is a consequence of a directive emanating from management level.
cool

Post by cool »

Probably said it much earlier on in this thread but I managed to have a half hour conversation with the managing director of this company who shamelessly admitted to keeping £20 limits to his swp in contravention of the advisory hooper levels suggested by the manufacturers of the machines.Contacted the manufacturers of the swp's who agreed that the non paying out of their machines makes it looks like they are culpable rather than the installer of the machines to the pubs, but once the units are out of their hands and in Sceptres there is nothing they could do.If Sceptre were a small company the machine manufacturers would undoutedly tell them to take a run and jump but as long as they remain a major player, indeed probably the biggest player in the sector they will have to live with it.The way to play Sceptre is to play regularly but keep a check on what goes in and comes out and to keep a note of the games you play so that you dont end up playing against yourself.If the machine comes up with an an iou of a couple of quid reboot the machine to reset the screen and that will wipe the iou and allow the muppets to start filling the machine for your next visit.Important to only ever put one pound coins into their machines for obvious reasons.Also try to find out the day the collector visits as they should (but not always) reset the hopper levels.To extract as much cash as possible from their machines collectors visit once a week unlike other operators who visit generally twice monthly.
cool

Post by cool »

And forgot to say collectors are in general an amiable bunch but a sizeable minority equate to Cletus in intelligence so strike up a conversation with them and you may be surprised to find out just how much they are willing to divulge about their employer.
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

On Friday I was 'unpaid' £14 from one of these and decided to play along with the old 'leave your name and number' with the barstaff. I found out the collector comes out today and also got the name of the person I was talking to (I find this to be a very important part of the transaction).
Anyway, will see what happens. I'll be amazed if he calls me this afternoon, if he doesn't I'm going to keep calling until I get my fourteen quid.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

cool wrote:The way to play Sceptre is to play regularly but keep a check on what goes in and comes out and to keep a note of the games you play so that you dont end up playing against yourself.If the machine comes up with an an iou of a couple of quid reboot the machine to reset the screen and that will wipe the iou and allow the muppets to start filling the machine for your next visit.Important to only ever put one pound coins into their machines for obvious reasons.Also try to find out the day the collector visits as they should (but not always) reset the hopper levels.To extract as much cash as possible from their machines collectors visit once a week unlike other operators who visit generally twice monthly.
I agree with most of this, but in my experience the collector doesn't reset the hopper level. I don't bother resetting the iou screen for two reasons: I prefer not to plug machines (unless absolutely necessary) in case it is seen and misinterpreted, secondly leaving the machine inoperative costs Sceptre money.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

cp999 wrote:Machines which have not been won on recently should contain £20 (some rare exceptions are floated with more, usually £40). If it had £2 in it, that's just unlucky that you played after someone had been on it. The typical float level is set artificially through hopper manipulation so as to ensure that it cannot exceed £20. This is a consequence of a directive emanating from management level.
One this week seemed to be full (coins dropping) but had exactly £30 in it. (I was counting, and for the previous months it had been set to £20). A new amount!
cp999 wrote:I prefer not to plug machines (unless absolutely necessary) in case it is seen and misinterpreted

On another one IOUd this week (bank £25, cash paid £16) it seems the bar staff plugged it for me after I left!
Real Pro gamer

Post by Real Pro gamer »

Keep IOUing them it costs sceptre money and on top of them the pubs will get fed up with their machines being broken and may change vendors which will hit them where it hurts the most
BFK

Post by BFK »

Well it could be worse.

I've known Gamestec site AWP's with not a single pound in the hopper.

Numerous times I've played one after audit that's also had not one coin in the hopper.
AMK

Post by AMK »

I received a cheque for £63 from Talirious or whoever owns Quicksilver. I was very surprised that the cheque cleared. Unlike the £400 cheque that bounced from Burnham on Sea pier. Robbing bastards. Little or no leg to stand on :(
... Join The Party!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Real Pro gamer wrote:Keep IOUing them it costs sceptre money and on top of them the pubs will get fed up with their machines being broken and may change vendors which will hit them where it hurts the most
I will. Another two IOUd yesterday..
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

Any other supplier who finds out that the quizzers kept going empty will be a little apprehensive about taking the site on after Sceptre i would think.