Quiz machine bugs

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Very tough question on Bully today:

"In Denmark, ?"

The four answers began with B, but I'm afraid I had to pass.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

fotherz wrote:Very tough question on Bully today:

"In Denmark, ?"

The four answers began with B, but I'm afraid I had to pass.
toughy but i'd fancy it. Æ is peculiar to danish (and stolen swedish words) in scandinavia and any F can be helpful too. SK is interesting as well depending on how it is pronounced. the language Qs are good because you can have a best guess. i like vowel patterns and dîåèrêsìs is great fun. Dutch is really easy but that was years ago. geek out, sorry.

had japseye 201 earlier; six for eleven. only had to press the screen on the endgame. i spent the money getting horribly drunk and sleeping on the sofa.
nobody ever wins on those things.
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

The four answers were all English words!
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Northern Monkey wrote:came across the previously mentioned DOND for the first time on Friday. The one where it just asks the same questipon over and over again until you get to the end game.
Do you mean from the first question onwards or after a certain number of questions? If it's the latter then that's the standard behaviour for DOND on the Open cabinets (but only on those as far as I know); luckily it isn't a bug that is exploitable by just anyone as you still need to get through a couple of full rounds before it starts to appear. In addition it isn't usually just one question that gets repeated; instead you get strings of four or five repeats.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

Ha been round so many new sites recently cant actually remember the unit- could have been an Open as rarely play these and it was not from the off - just kicked off quite far in. Also was the same question not a string of questions.
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

A rather annoying one courtesy of our Bully.

Which of the following people plays professional football?

A) Alan Shearer
B) Steve Davis

Now the Rangers player Steve Davis may not be as well known as his snooker namesake, but at least he IS a professional footballer, rather than Shearer who WAS one.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Was playing an Open the other night, although for some reason it was on a cabinet with 2 screens and insisted on printing the rules to everything on the top screen.

Blockbusters decided to freeze on me in the middle of a game which was annoying since it meant I had to reset it. It then put all my bank accumulated to that point into credit (I think somebody has mentioned this before).

This meant I was forced to play the insipid thing for another half hour. Amazing what you can find to take money out of when forced to dig through their unnavigable menu. Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

On a lighter note, it would appear that Beat the Landlord thinks that Spiderman once dated the Lizard.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
cool

Post by cool »

'Blockbusters decided to freeze on me in the middle of a game which was annoying since it meant I had to reset it. It then put all my bank accumulated to that point into credit (I think somebody has mentioned this before)'

It was me! Fat Spanner had a habit of doing this
grecian

Post by grecian »

QuizMaster wrote: Blockbusters decided to freeze on me in the middle of a game which was annoying since it meant I had to reset it. It then put all my bank accumulated to that point into credit (I think somebody has mentioned this before).
Yes, this happened to me recently - I had unearthed a new Open, but foolishly over-egged the pudding and emptied the hoppers - the remaining £15 non-paid and was converted to credits. No point my playing those away, so I complained at the bar, and on this occasion got given £15 back in cash the next day.

I expect Open think this is better than whacking up an error message, but frankly I'd rather have the error message as it makes it easier to complain.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Just to be clear, there are two separate issues at play here:

- the Super Gold Run Blockbusters bug

This one regularly freezes during the cash game, and I'm pretty sure that the event that causes this is getting the right answer on your second attempt after using a Try Again. I posted about this one a couple of months ago (while also warning about that Baker's Dozen game) and it has happened to me several times since to confirm that this isn't an isolated issue.

- unpayable winnings turned into credits

As you say, when the machine has run out of cash - which sometimes appears to be pathetically early - it will transfer your winnings to credits (that you can't actually win from obviously :roll: ).

It wouldn't be so bad if the Open had retained the excellent games selection it had six or so months ago, albeit hidden behind that ridiculous menu system, but sadly the good games seem to be disappearing (or are hopefully just better hidden).
grecian

Post by grecian »

Nil Satis - yes, agree with you there, there are obviously two separate issues which were combined in QuizMaster's case. Oddly, despite playing it a reasonable amount, I've never experienced the SGR bug. Not sure why this is.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Maybe you're so good you don't need the try agains*

Mine was indeed, as Nil points out, getting a question correct after having used a try again.

* Alternate theory is that you're so crap you have no try agains left by the time you get to the cash game
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
grecian

Post by grecian »

Pretty certain I've had to use a try again on rare occasions.

;-)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

QuizMaster wrote:Maybe you're so good you don't need the try agains*

Mine was indeed, as Nil points out, getting a question correct after having used a try again.

* Alternate theory is that you're so crap you have no try agains left by the time you get to the cash game
I was going to raise those as possibilities, but the third is that there are two versions of this game - the earlier one with both 50p and £1 options and the more recent £1-only version - and it is possible I suppose that the bug has been fixed on the more recent version and that that is the one you are seeing. I can't say it happens 100% of the time but it is certainly at least 50%; for this reason I always leave that game to the end of a 'session' if there are other things to play.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Nil Satis wrote:
QuizMaster wrote:Maybe you're so good you don't need the try agains*

I was going to raise those as possibilities, but the third is that there are two versions of this game - the earlier one with both 50p and £1 options and the more recent £1-only version - and it is possible I suppose that the bug has been fixed on the more recent version and that that is the one you are seeing. I can't say it happens 100% of the time but it is certainly at least 50%]

On the contrary, I played the 50p/£1 version a lot more than I play the current £1-only version (where the prizes seem very ungenerous, on the whole). Never seen the bug on either - it's certainly most odd and I can't think why not. Might there be some other factor to consider I wonder?