Millionaire

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
grecian

Post by grecian »

Good work on the wins Ross - that's a very decent set of wins from one machine.

I've found WWTBAM III to be pretty kind on the whole. I initially wrote it off but then managed to JP it one day (I think I posted about that on here, such was my surprise), and from then I've found it to be quite a generous payer. I think there's a potential JP in each 'virgin' ItBox. When the machine wants to pay, the endgame is generally pretty guessable, but as NS says it can get quite brutal when it wants.

All in all this is a vast improvement on WWTBAM II (still to be found on some GamesNets and unupdated ItBoxes) which, IMHO, gravely damaged the good name of one of the most lasting SWP formats.

Quite agree with NS's remarks on the GamesNet variant of WWTBAM III. The key thing is that, whether by chance or deliberately, the endgame has been programmed so that (unlike the ItBox version) there is no pause before the time starts running to ingest the photos. I'd also say it's significantly more difficult to reach good prizes to play the endgame with. Given that the stake is half as much as on the ItBox, with the same prizes, perhaps this is to be expected, but as NS says I'd rather play £1 for a fair shot at a prize than 50p for an illusory half-chance. A rare example of an ItBox variant being better than variants on other formats.
ROSSKEEN

Post by ROSSKEEN »

ROSSKEEN wrote: I'd hazard a guess on the jackpot age game you might get something hard like 4 boyband members or footballers?

Sorry to quote myself but just took £20 out of this in a local Brewers Fayre. Celebs were:

Anthony Hopkins
Prince
Abi Titmuss
Andy Murray

Was chuffed.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Abi Titmuss is at least 45 - it's all done by mirrors...

:wink:
grecian

Post by grecian »

grecian wrote: All in all this is a vast improvement on WWTBAM II (still to be found on some GamesNets and unupdated ItBoxes) which, IMHO, gravely damaged the good name of one of the most lasting SWP formats.
Having said that, I did manage this lunchtime to JP WWTBAM II (for the first time in over two years) on an unupdated ItBox 53. Already had some good wins on the Box in question so was prepared to gamble a bit more than I'd otherwise have done, but fundamentally it didn't make it *that* hard to take the JP.
grecian

Post by grecian »

I found a WWTBAM II today on a GamesNet where the starting prize was on 125k points (i.e. two notches above the 32k level). I've seen it start at 64k plenty of times but never 125k. Anyone else seen this? I presume it means Suri or another real boy had recently visited. Can the game retreat to £1 at 1m points level if it so wishes, in the style of X Factor or Caveman Capers?
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

I haven't seen that but then that particular edition of an otherwise top notch game only ever gets my briefest attention - it always was and still is an abomination!
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

grecian wrote:I found a WWTBAM II today on a GamesNet where the starting prize was on 125k points (i.e. two notches above the 32k level). I've seen it start at 64k plenty of times but never 125k. Anyone else seen this? I presume it means Suri or another real boy had recently visited. Can the game retreat to £1 at 1m points level if it so wishes, in the style of X Factor or Caveman Capers?

It doesn't need to. WWTBAM has the ability to 'split' its points on every level, 2000 a question, that sort of thing. I once worked out that even if you knew every answer a game would take about an hour. :shock:
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

I've been making a good amount on WWTBAM celebrity edition recently, seemes very fair most of the time, and the endgame is usually ok.....though can obviously be a pig if it wants to. Got to 250,000 twice this weekend (which may seem crap to you esteemed sirs, but it's a good effotr on my part) and got both lineups right too. :D
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
grecian

Post by grecian »

Celebrity WWTBAM on the ItBox is a nice little earner, and what with £1 a play it doesn't take long to "recharge" either, if it's getting punter play.

Celebrity WWTBAM on the Paragon is quite a bit tougher and I've had to up my game a bit, but have had a few good wins recently.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I haven't seen a celeb version split. Think that applied to the older versions
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
grecian

Post by grecian »

QuizMaster wrote:I haven't seen a celeb version split. Think that applied to the older versions
Nor me, nor have I seen the different prize levels move. I wonder, though, how the game would protect against a real boy with almost-perfect question knowledge (maybe it's got a huge bank of spoilers, or a huge bank of near impossible celebrity faces with only days or weeks between them?)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

If you play the next game after a Jackpot - foolish I know but sometimes you just think 'What If...?' - you will usually see questions from the spoiler set well before you even get to £1.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Nil Satis wrote:If you play the next game after a Jackpot - foolish I know but sometimes you just think 'What If...?' - you will usually see questions from the spoiler set well before you even get to £1.
Yes, I agree - but assuming there are people out there good / dedicated enough to learn the spoiler set (as e.g. INCA must be on certain games), what then?