Secret Letter

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
messiah

Post by messiah »

Istenem wrote:a faceful of beer didn't help with clarity on my last post.

suffice it to say that the matrix of letters the game offered on round five, (even with perfect play) had too few of the secret/bonus letter to reach the points target.
I've had that before.

Then realised that I'd spooned by including the secret and bonus letters in the same word.

This has in fact happened on many occasions, with a frequency that seems to correspond to the number of pints drunk.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Just to clarify, the new version of Secret Letter that has been added to the Gamesnets is completely rigged. I played one last night and after winning £1 it set a target of 1400 points to win £2. The letter matrix and contents were standard, i.e. 36 letters with 2 Secret Letters and 5 Magic Letters. Hence the maximum possible score was the usual 1050:

2 x 250 for two words using the Secret Letters
5 x 100 for five words using the Magic Letters
2 x 25 points for the remaining two words

With those letters 1050 is the maximum points available even if you make no mistakes by including more than one Secret or Magic Letter in the same word.

I was already trying to deal with the standard problem with any time-based game on the Gamesnets, namely a slower processor speed making it harder to complete each round in time, but this setting of impossible targets is more than just shoddy, it is unethical and presumably a violation of the regulations that now govern SWP games.

It will be interesting to see if this game gets pulled as quickly as Caesar's Palace 2 was, albeit for a somewhat different reason!
logopolis

Post by logopolis »

Yes I imagine the gameplay would be a lot slower on the gamesnet but a target of over 1050 points is a bit much!!!!!
mouse75

Post by mouse75 »

Nil Satis wrote:Just to clarify, the new version of Secret Letter that has been added to the Gamesnets is completely rigged. I played one last night and after winning £1 it set a target of 1400 points to win £2. The letter matrix and contents were standard, i.e. 36 letters with 2 Secret Letters and 5 Magic Letters. Hence the maximum possible score was the usual 1050:

2 x 250 for two words using the Secret Letters
5 x 100 for five words using the Magic Letters
2 x 25 points for the remaining two words

With those letters 1050 is the maximum points available even if you make no mistakes by including more than one Secret or Magic Letter in the same word.

I was already trying to deal with the standard problem with any time-based game on the Gamesnets, namely a slower processor speed making it harder to complete each round in time, but this setting of impossible targets is more than just shoddy, it is unethical and presumably a violation of the regulations that now govern SWP games.

It will be interesting to see if this game gets pulled as quickly as Caesar's Palace 2 was, albeit for a somewhat different reason!
Gamesnet version had four magic letters - but on the higher levels you start with 10 seconds - and the letters move super slow so you quickly run out of time. Goes up to level 10 - unlike the 1st version.