Pro and Casual Players

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Sakpi

Post by Sakpi »

Humblest apologies , I did not mean to belittle the efforts of todays players .I have been out of the loop for many years and have very little experience of modern machines .
I do , however , find it difficult to see how a player could achieve profits of £500 + in a day on todays machines .
A full QM would have had £38 in £1 coins . A full " Give us a Clue " £60 . Happy days !
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

£500+ is pushing it, but back in the day even that was a long day.

£30 an hour is well within reach currently, but you've got to be selective.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
Sakpi

Post by Sakpi »

I'm just dabbling at the moment , so no competition . Even if I did go back full time my liver would never forgive me .
Signing off for the week ,
Mike
cool

Post by cool »

'£30 an hour is well within reach currently, but you've got to be selective'

like me may not be eveybodys cup of tea but QM is bang on the money.

Only problem is being too selective can be dangerous when somebody has wiped out an area.

QM can you jackpot PUB QUIZ at will.If you can impressive as I long ago gave up on it.Longetivity SHOWS ITS DIFFICULTY.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I used to be able to consistently finish in the £3 & £5 zone with the occasional £10, but they've moved the bank on again. The root of it is still there and I put a lot of hours in keeping up to speed, so hopefully I'll get back up to previous performance levels.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

Sakpi wrote:I don't think there will ever be professionals like there were in the late 80's.
From 1986 to 1990/ 91 £200 was a bad day - after expenses .
Once the silly , random " skill " features were introduced and stopper questions arranged in sequence consistent heavy wins on machines became all but impossible .
I now play mostly for fun , even knowing 99% of a programme might get you a return of £1.20 on a 50p investment

I happen to broadly agree with you. Players like Q.M. are very rare.

I would profoundly disagree about the reasons though. It isn't down to skill features. My late, lamented brother in law was absolutely brilliant at Tetris, the game where you had to shoot red hearts (forget the name) and various other skill based games. I believe that the problems started when IT boxes and others began producing consoles that had multi-games on. In the days of Quizmaster and the other single game machines (hereafter called "stand alone") the games quickly filled up because all the money taken went either into bank or into the tray for the company profit. The result was that you could have your £38.00 out of a QM on the Friday and go back on the Monday and do the same again. This in turn meant that you didn't have to travel as far. The games also had much smaller, learnable programmes. (I think it was the first edition of Give Us A Break which had only about 1000 questions.) Now if you Jackpot a game, because of the variety of games available, it takes ages to fill up again...often as long as a couple of months. You can also see a question out of the "hard" section once and not see the same question again for weeks.
For me the heyday was the years 2001/02 when Royle Family and Sun and Moon were on the go...a real license to print wonga. At that time £500.00 a day was a bad day...
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Tetris is one of my alltime favourite skill games on SWP. The normal standalone ones were 29 lines for jackpot and held £34/35, c. 1m 45s for each jackpot iirc. There were a few with double tubes and extracting the full whack discreetly in deserted country pubs presented an interesting problem (usually involving copious amounts of ham acting.) There was a rarer, harder version (sometimes named as Blox) which at least made an attempt at presenting a challenge.

Don't agree with Sakpi's post at all, tbh, though I understand part of his reasoning.
cool

Post by cool »

realised the potential of tetris when witnessing a guy take 3 consecutive jackpots in early 90's one lunchtime.He constructed a skeleton to just below the maximum pts line then bingo.sadly I was never good enough to make much from it and once lost 30pound on one trying to get a tenner only to find Id got a ticket when I got outside the pub!
cp999

Post by cp999 »

cool wrote:realised the potential of tetris when witnessing a guy take 3 consecutive jackpots in early 90's one lunchtime.He constructed a skeleton to just below the maximum pts line then bingo.
Sounds right. It was very easy once you had it sussed.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

The one with the red hearts was called The Mating Game.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

QuizMaster wrote:The one with the red hearts was called The Mating Game.
Indeed. Good memory...
cool

Post by cool »

thats why he's the master
WaterGate

Post by WaterGate »

Ha ha, yeah I remember playing that with the little chap and chappette in it. Fun game. Was it Bell Fruit?
grecian

Post by grecian »

WaterGate wrote:yeah I remember playing that with the little chap
Bloody hell, I'm surprised you weren't barred for that!
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

:lol:
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."