Lost my OPEN virginity

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Hi

Yep it was good service - but as you say a bit worrying it went so quickly!

The Fantasy Footballers have attacked the machine in the last 2 days and the chap who was top before has a score of 98 and has regained his top spot.

Not too sure how good a score this is.

Dave
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

98 is very solid. obviously it depends on the questions he was asked but that is a very good effort and will take some beating.

just being nosey but where is your white swan Dave? don't feel obliged to answer if you don't want to.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Yes, 98 is a solid mark for all but the Suris of this world. On a brand spanking new Open, it might have paid him £20 for that. Good work to him.
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Hi

My pub aint called the White Swan - its a long story but I am based in Oldham.

Looks like there's a new OPEN machine on the way!

http://www.fatspanner.com/open_black_main_event.htm

New Games and a new improved playing interface !

Hope my update disc contains both the new content and the new interface.

Dave
dmac

Post by dmac »

xyz
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Believe it or not thats one guy on his own.........

2nd and 3rd I think are 89 and 90 and they are groups of at least 2 people.

Played Spinner Takes All last night for first time - it gives you a very long play but little chance of achieving the £20 Jackpot.

Dave
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

whiteswan wrote:Played Spinner Takes All last night for first time - it gives you a very long play but little chance of achieving the £20 Jackpot.
Spinner Takes All in its original format was a very decent game and the Jackpot (admittedly only £7 for 50p or £12 for £1 rather than £20) was achievable with patience and a bit of luck on the 'All In' questions - when it's Game Over if you get one wrong.

Unfortunately the Spinner Takes All on the Open (at least the version on the two or three I've seen) has been chipped so as to be almost comically tight - the "Jackpots" are now just £1.50 and £3 respectively and to get to those you have to know the entire Dewey Decimal System and the dates of birth of 100s of pop stars you have never heard of. In its current state it is easily one of the worst games I have ever seen!
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

The Jackpot on my OPEN is £20.00.

Dave
cool

Post by cool »

advertised jackpots are getting to be irrelevant today.Its ok for a game to advertise an amount,but if its only achievable once in a million games its out of order. trueskill poker advertises £50- I will be amazed if anybody has ever got it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Cool is right, Dave - Spinner Takes All may advertise a £20 Jackpot but if I say that I've won it 100 or so times on the £1 variant and that every single time it was £12 (for [£1 + £2 + £3] x 2) then I think you can take it as read that the true Jackpot is £12 and and, as I mentioned earlier, the true jackpot on the chipped version, which is what you are likely to have, is in fact just a pathetic £3 (for [£1 + £1 + £1] x 1).

Thanks, by the way, for all your very interesting posts on here - they have been well worth reading.
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Thanks Nil

Without this board I would not have a clue about most of the games on my OPEN machine - so its been bloody enlightening for me too!

Dave
Mat Ingram

Post by Mat Ingram »

whiteswan wrote:The Jackpot on my OPEN is £20.00.

Dave
Right, Stop this. I can barely hold down my sausage and mustard cob.

Having read your posts, there seems to be more that a slight bias towards FS.
Everyone else thinks that their box takes less than Danny Minogue on a first date.

Stop posting utter shite, and get a GN5.

"This one bloke walked in an handed me £100 to put into the Open, so he could lose it all cause he liked it so much, said Alfio...."

Watergate have a word, or is this just me being paranoid?
Show me more.....
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Mat Ingram wrote:Watergate have a word, or is this just me being paranoid?
The latter, or possible there is something else on that sausage and mustard cob!

Dave has done something quite rare on here in that he has come on and supplied an honest perspective from "the other side", by which I don't mean we need to enlist Derek Acorahs's help to contact him, rather that he has given a lot of useful information as someone who it seems is relatively new to the business of hosting a quiz machine.

As for the general view on here re the FatSpanner Opens, I'd say that it certainly ISN'T as negative as you make out. We'd all agree I think that the current menu system is annoying and counter-productive - why not simply provide access to all the available games via an A-Z lookup like on digital jukeboxes? - but the range of available games seems to offer something for just about everyone.

The cabinet that gets a lot of stick on here (rightly in my view) is the Paragon, which to me and many others provides a uninspiring set with a few decent games, but set to play a lot tighter than previously, combined with a whole raft of dross. They also have a few cabinet-specific bugs that have discussed elsewhere on here. Paragons may improve over time but for now their growing availability seems a pretty depressing trend on the whole.

Dave may seem to display some bias towards the Open as you say but surely that is natural if he (a) is relatively new to the business and (b) only has an Open available to him at present.

For the rest of us, his posts have been interesting and illuminating. Hopefully he won't be put off by your dodgy-mustard-inspired outburst! :wink:
dmac

Post by dmac »

xyz
whiteswan

Post by whiteswan »

Hi

I think every comment is valid............

I am biasedf towards Fat Spanner because they supplied me with a machine direct cheaper than the re-sellers and the back up suport has been excellent.

But I have also been negative (read the tread) - Pub Quiz crashed from Day 1 of the machine - the menu system is awful - and finally my OPEN blowing up !!

I have presented both sides of the coin.

My OPEN machine has performed very respectably - both cash taken and paid out - for the last 2 months.

And another good thing is that whilst it was out of action for a few days - I did not lose credits on there way of a license because you only pay for days the machine is actually switched on !

I am pleased with it.

End of.................but lets see what the next 12 months bring.

Dave