Smarter than a 10 Year Old!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Matt Vinyl

Smarter than a 10 Year Old!

Post by Matt Vinyl »

OK, not strictly a quiz machine 'post', but thought you might like to hear about ol beardy 'getting it wrong'!

You may need to sign up to read this thread, but: Clicky!

Basically, one of the questions was:

What is the answer to 5 + 3 x 0? The guy gave the answer '5', but was shot down as the answer they thought was correct, was '0'.

Heh-heh! ;)

Ooh, and has anyone tried to go on the programme yet? Surely an easy quarter of a mil for most on here? :) :) :)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

The woman rushed it and actually said 15 I think. all the kids correctly said it was zero.

How did ol beardy get it wrong?

The game is harder than you'd think because it might be 30 years since you last heard the relevant nursary rhyme.

Good show though, and I expect the SWP game is in development as we speak.
Drpepper

Post by Drpepper »

Opening a can of worms probably, but i don't understand why people think it's 5.
cool

Post by cool »

its because they think 3 x 0 = 0 + 5 = 5
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Drpepper wrote:Opening a can of worms probably, but i don't understand why people think it's 5.
Depends on the order of operations, remember BIDMAS: Brackets, Indices, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

(5 + 3) * 0 == 8 * 0 == 0

BUT

5 + (3 * 0) == 5 + 0 == 5

5 is correct here because you would do the multiplication first, UNLESS brackets are used to give the addition precedence. Which they weren't.
DildoDez

Post by DildoDez »

5 + 3 x 0 DOES = 5
Attachments
sp_a0766_528.jpg
sp_a0766_528.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 286 times
pokerpete

Post by pokerpete »

:o ops: oops, I should know that.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Agree with Weyland and Dez. If brackets are not used, the answer is 5.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh - certainly interesting! :)

I no doubt would lay money on the SWP version of this being under development. Would probably use somehthing like the newer Millionaire 'lifelines' for the kids.

Yet another excuse to get Edmonds into my local... ;)
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i'll never watch this show but it seems (from admittedly a sample of one) that the questions are apt to be woolly. with that sum you could argue lucidly for more than one answer.

who is for SWPing becoming like that late night scam-call or whatever it's called?

how many p in this picture?
can you get it? the codebreakers at bletchley park couldn't
nobody ever wins on those things.
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Well, the total of the values in the box comes to 438 (I think - is that 16p in the purple star?) But that clearly isn't it, far too easy. Do they want you to add in the £30000 at the bottom of the screen as well?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

it does say 16p in that star.

spoiler follows:

the answer they wanted was 506; how they came to this seemingly arbitrary answer is anyone's guess
nobody ever wins on those things.
darcle

Post by darcle »

Was it 68p per minute or call or however they charge it that was added to that sum?
JG

Post by JG »

Oh lots of lol! That's ridiculous. I thought they were over that infancy period of blatantly ripping people off and now onto less blatantly ripping people off. For example.

Top ...
Top ...
Top ...
Top ...
Top ...

£500 BIG MONEY PRIZE

Hiya guys! How's it going? I'm streaky and this is Quizchat Live. Do you know what? My pockets are full to the brim of lovely cash, oozing with cash. You've just got to dial me up and give me one word and you'll be £500 richer! Come on dial me up now, why is no one phoning through why? why? why? We have to take a call in the next minute, I'm going to start a timer. Can we have a timer please?

1:00

Ok, there will be a caller in the next minute, there has to be a winner very soon. Look at the time, look at the time. That phone could ring at any time and it could be you on the end. It could ring in one seconds time.....<<pause>>.......or the timer could get down to a couple of seconds. It's totally random.

1:00

Come on guys start the timer, get ringing in....59.....58......there we are. What could it be? Top........well I'm not saying anything, but maybe you should look around your house. If you have any pets what are they? Maybe that would fill the slot. Just a clue. 42....41. Come on guys and gals get ringing in, it's only 70p and you could win more than 500 times that just for giving me a simple word. Please get the bill payer's permission before calling in though. Actually fuck 'em, just ring up anyway the tight sods. 33.....32 Why not say limit yourself to ten tries......if you don't get through on the first try...dial up again, you might be more lucky. Come on, it coudl be you. 24....23. Ummmmm I had a lovely Indian Takeaway tonight. A Chicken Tikka Masala, it was lovely. With a garlic Naan. Hmmmmmm.....come on dial in, if you win, you coudl buy an Indian Restaurant. Yeah! Well er.....no....but you know what I mean. 12...11 OK, caller in the next ten seconds........9.......8.......7........6........5........4.......3.....come on countdown with me.....2.......1......<<pause>>

<<outrageous pause>>

<<coining it in pause>>

BRRRRRRRRRRRRIING!!!

Hello who am I speaking to?

"It's Mike."

Mike, where are you calling from?

"Enfield"

Ok, Mike from Enfield <<<whoooooooop blooooop feedback>> what's your answer?

"Enfield"

Top Enfield. Let's see........UNLUCKY.

"No dog, I meant to" <<click>>

Nope sorry. I have to accept the first answer. OK, let's have another timer.

>>>>>>FAST FORWARD

Four hours later. Still the same tarnished spiel.

TOP CAT (the easy one to show people it can be done, but not as easy as TOP DOG which is what everyone will say first, if they don't say Enfield or there aren't 'technical faults' or mysterious callers who just hang up.)

TOP .... (no one will ever, ever get this one. It's actually TOP SNO an artifical analogue of real snow that is currently being tested on certain dry ski slopes in New Zealand)

TOP SPIN (A respectable answer)

TOP ... (Not quite sure about this one, it's actually TOP BAT. Nah, I didn't understand it either)

TOP OF THE CLASS (This is the trick one, especially geared at senile people, after all, they're responsible for most of the revenue, so give 'em something back eh?)

In a way they feel much fairer, but they're still a con. The original count the weights or how many snowflakes in the picture or add all the numbers are pure insanity. Lateral thinking it is not. It's pure gobbledecodswallop.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Streaky (bacon): That is absolutely brilliant! :) :) :)

An aside: When is the 'Christmas Story' going to find it's way to the forum for 2007? :)