ISSUE 54 - WORD UP HAS GONE

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

seen it, played it twice. a free fiver is very easy (1800) but to get up to £8 is very tricky: it wants 2005 from what i have seen and there are only 2 people better than me at WU unless Mr Bob gets his stooges out again.
nobody ever wins on those things.
MILTON

Post by MILTON »

Sue Denim wrote:seen it, played it twice.
I saw it for the first time on about my 23rd 54. Definitely a rogue as it had TV Times and other oddities on it.
unless Mr Bob gets his stooges out again.
Considering how well CARLOS, PZD, DANNYPOTTA & co. did on their first ever play, we're all in trouble if they start playing regularly. :roll:
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Sue Denim wrote:there are only 2 people better than me at WU unless Mr Bob gets his stooges out again.
I wonder who you have in mind?

Are you only counting Londoners?
MILTON

Post by MILTON »

After posting that, virtually every Issue 54 I've come across in London has had Word Shoop on it. :?

Quid seems to be 1000-1100 and I've HACKD my way to £3 or £4 on each of them
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

I got a £4 last night. Then £3 on Battleships. Then £6.85 on TIOLI. About £18 profit all told.
wigwamsun

Post by wigwamsun »

Sorry ppl I've been away and missed the 54 issue as such, curious conversation with a leisuelink guy regarding word up/soup revealed that the disappearance of it, is due to a legal battle i.e one owns 'soup' the other owns 'up'. So it may yet return fully, god forbid!!!
Well, I wrestled with
reality for years, Doctor.
And I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i'll be a character witness for up.
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Properpro wrote:
wires74 wrote:properpro did u ever bump into GILLIVER on your travels ?
I know Gilliver very well!!!
I last bumped into Alan about eighteen months ago. He was 'hale and hearty' despite a very serious health scare. I hope this is still the case.
He said he was less involved with the SWP circuit, the proliferation of It Boxes, Gamesnets etc. had negated his amazing 'search and find' abilities.

As Quiz Master has alluded, most pro players north of London would know of/have met Gilliver, a true character!
Has anyone seen the question on Hell's Bells asking for the name of the first ever Mastermind contestant? One wrong option is Alan Gilliver - obviously a tribute to him.
MILTON

Post by MILTON »

wigwamsun wrote:Sorry ppl I've been away and missed the 54 issue as such, curious conversation with a leisuelink guy regarding word up/soup revealed that the disappearance of it, is due to a legal battle i.e one owns 'soup' the other owns 'up'. So it may yet return fully, god forbid!!!
I think they have done an update and put Word Soup back onto the machines that were missing it
Properpro

Post by Properpro »

grecian wrote:
Has anyone seen the question on Hell's Bells asking for the name of the first ever Mastermind contestant? One wrong option is Alan Gilliver - obviously a tribute to him.

Use of player's names as a choice of answer has been around many years. I have long thought that at least one poacher has turned gamekeeper, but maybe some game makers or question writers are merely players themselves and have access to circuit information.
I think it’s probably just a bit of fun, after all we know Fruitchat itself has been ‘outed’.
I have seen my own (real) name on machines a few times, admittedly over a period of several years, and have recognised other players known to me. I have, perhaps niavely, thought this is a Midland thing, as I believe it started on Maygay games, (Wolverhampton). Of course I may well be wrong, I only know six or seven names from south of Watford and I’m sure there must be many.

One thing I sure of is that if I was given money for every time I’ve seen the name Richard Terry ........
:D

Money goes in, some have taken out more than others.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Properpro wrote:One thing I sure of is that if I was given money for every time I’ve seen the name Richard Terry ........
This has always puzzled me - who is Richard "Teacher" Terry?

Nil Satis (of Every Loser Wins "fame")

:wink:
cool

Post by cool »

there was a teacher mopping up the £1000millionaires from up north. Only appeared down south when it was half term / end of term travelling as one family unit 2 parents 2 children- even pretended to the staff of the megabowl that his wife had answered all the questions correctly- as if!
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Lovely bit of sexism on behalf of cool there! :)
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

Don't know if its widespread yet, but played an updated 54 yesterday and Hells Bells, Crossword Quiz, TIOLI and Won in 60 seconds had all gone gone gone. Not even replaced- just usual crap (bar two) now left behind and gaps on the second menu. Oh, and no word soup.

So ends my best ever run on the titboxes. And if I was having my best ever run, then... :wink:
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

ZAX wrote:Don't know if its widespread yet, but played an updated 54 yesterday and Hells Bells, Crossword Quiz, TIOLI and Won in 60 seconds had all gone gone gone. Not even replaced- just usual crap (bar two) now left behind and gaps on the second menu. Oh, and no word soup.

So ends my best ever run on the titboxes. And if I was having my best ever run, then... :wink:
I wouldn't call that 'updated'! Could jus be a fluke - sometimes happens. I came across an old Issue 44 yesterday! For the record has anyone ever won twice on the same crossword Quiz (ie on the same machine)? I've just took the fiver and moved on each time presuming it then becomes impossible...