More new ItBox games

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Nil Satis

More new ItBox games

Post by Nil Satis »

I've only seen these in one location so I don't know how common they are yet but all seem worth looking out for:

Hell's Bells

This is a Caveman Capers clone where the only main differences seem to be that (a) there is a 'following wind' factor that varies with each shot and which seems to push the maximum shot up into the c. 230 points territory and (b) the prizes seem further away by default - it was 2000 for £1 and 10,000 for £20. The pub in question was one which I'd be surprised to find any decent players frequenting (it's in rural Oxfordshire) and as the game must have been pretty new, it seems that, unlike Caveman Capers, this one has been designed not to start in paying mode but it could well be a decent find if you catch it right.

Top of the Pops

I was amazed to see this. Despite a really ropey colour scheme/look and feel it is basically Top of the Pops 2 with a new question set, and hence it is definitely good news if this one gets a general release. The only slight quirk seems to be that it has a lot more 'NOT' questions in the set, e.g. "Which of these musicians was NOT ever in Blondie?" which is fine unless you play it straight after Every Loser Wins, in which case it really addles your brain!

Crossword Quiz

I didn't get a chance to play this but it should definitely be worth a look - I'm assuming it isn't just a rebrand of Quids for Grids.

In general, the new games all seem more promising than the vast proportion of recent releases.

"Nil Satis in Optimistic Post Shocker!"

8)
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Will keep a hopeful eye open for CQ.

Cheers Nil.
wires74

Post by wires74 »

nil satis do you think this was a test site ?
grecian

Post by grecian »

I visited my local test site last night in the hope of finding some or all of these but it contained none of them to my regret!
dm

Post by dm »

grecian wrote:I visited my local test site last night in the hope of finding some or all of these but it contained none of them to my regret!
were you in finchley rd. spoons then? :lol:
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

wires74 wrote:nil satis do you think this was a test site ?
It might have been, given that I also haven't seen these games anywhere else but it was in a very nondescript pub, one that I haven't seen being used for testing new games before. It did seem odd however to see these extra games, given that the latest release (52?) is still so recent.

P.S. I was driving that night so sticking to Diet Coke and hence it wasn't 'ale goggles' that helped me spot these new games!

:wink:
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

That TOTP game was on Gamesnet tonight, along with a new game called Give it a Whirl... not that bad, a cross between Wheel of Fortune and Pub Quiz... you can't collect inbetween prizes so beware.
grecian

Post by grecian »

dmac07 wrote:
grecian wrote:I visited my local test site last night in the hope of finding some or all of these but it contained none of them to my regret!
No! A pub local to work not local to home - I still haven't visited Finchley Road Wetherspoons since it became a test site...
dm

Post by dm »

grecian wrote:
dmac07 wrote:
No! A pub local to work not local to home - I still haven't visited Finchley Road Wetherspoons since it became a test site...
ohhh chancery lane...
grecian

Post by grecian »

dmac07 wrote: ohhh chancery lane...
That's the one dmac - for someone relatively new to London you're learning fast!
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

Cardinal Richelieu wrote:That TOTP game was on Gamesnet tonight, along with a new game called Give it a Whirl... not that bad, a cross between Wheel of Fortune and Pub Quiz... you can't collect inbetween prizes so beware.
TOTP2 has been on some gamesnet for a few months now. I presumed this was on an itbox and a different version. Am I right?
Cardinal Sin

Post by Cardinal Sin »

Don't know... didn't play it, as my knowledge of modern pop music is somewhat lacking... but it did look like a "new version" unlike any I'd seen before - in fact, it looked a bit like Trivia for Dummies now that I think of it.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The new version of Top of the Pops is easily identifiable because of its garish yellow colour scheme - this is maybe what reminded you of Trivia for Dummies. Luckily you don't have to spot some impossible difference to win a few quid on this one...
q-time

Post by q-time »

I'm looking forward to Hell's Bells. Caveman Capers is one of my favourites and has been known to keep me at the quiz oche for a good hour.

Problems with Every Loser Wins? Simply find the correct answer then direct your hand away from it without even looking at the other options (unless of course you are looking for the 'least correct option' if you're not sure).

Otherwise, I agree, you will end up getting confused in your next choice of game.

I'm sure there used to be a similar offering whereby one had either to get all right or all wrong to win the jackpot, but a mixture of right and wrong would see you walking away with nothing. A good game which didn't enjoy the longevity it deserved. Rather like the prodigious Space Quest which I miss terribly.

QT
grecian

Post by grecian »

q-time wrote: I'm sure there used to be a similar offering whereby one had either to get all right or all wrong to win the jackpot, but a mixture of right and wrong would see you walking away with nothing. A good game which didn't enjoy the longevity it deserved. Rather like the prodigious Space Quest which I miss terribly.
That was 'Ten Out Of Ten'. One was given ten true/false questions with prizes for getting all ten either true or false, or (depending upon generosity of machine) nine true and one false or vice versa. It was a nice game with a nicely counter-intuitive best strategy. It's currently on the new Fatbox mega-play terminal which I posted about a while back.