What are people playing these days?

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
dangerous

Post by dangerous »

Deal or No Deal - Seems a lot easier these days. Even I took out £5 followed by £10 on one machine.

Word Up - Is also easier now with the new dictionary

Monkey Business - Good for a £2-4 usually

I reckon Tetris is the worst game at the minute. Its so dull
grecian

Post by grecian »

I think Tetris is quite good.

Very impressed that Wigwam can get to the DOND endgame at 70k on average - that must make him a lot of cash. I normally accept the first offer except where the target is achievable, the machine is behaving nicely, I have two lifelines, and it's offered me under half of the target. In that instance I normally carry on to try to get offered just over half the target. Don't listen to me though as I find any endgame much offer 40k a tough call in general.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

wigwamsun wrote:... so I just thought I try something out. I decided never to take the deal offered and subsequently cleared the boxes three times and got offered 10 points each time. Eventually, died with a massive 210 pts. Answered sixty+ questions and lost 20 mins of my life. Interesting experiment, anyone done somethin' similar . Played then next game properly and took a tenner. Sweet!!!
I don't think this is necessarily a pattern that would be repeated. The fact that the target was at 52,000 is probably more salient, i.e. the game was probably in 'non-pay' mode which also entails (a) the 250,000 points box going in the first five sets of questions each time and (b) the early appearance of spoilers. When the game is in pay mode, I'd say that the box selection is as fair as anything on any current game *, and so you are just as like to end up with a really high points offer as a really low one by using this tactic. The problem of course is that you are having to answer more questions using this tactic, thereby endangering your Try Agains.

* the only exclusion to this being the cash game, where the Jackpot amount is protected much more than any other amount - you are never going to get that 1 in 16 times which is what would be the case if the end game were random.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

1 in 16 times
Is that not over-estimating it a bit? I guess that would be valid if the number of the box containing the JP stayed the same until it was won, but I don't beleive that to be the case. ;)
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

That's exactly the point. If the boxes for the end game were assigned randomly you would have a 1 in 16 chance of selecting the £20 box initially and if you then played the game as I (and I suspect many others) do and ended up with the final choice of two virtually every time (rather than accepting an intermediate offer), you would win the £20 once in every 16 games. The fact that that doesn't happen is the clearest proof, if anyone still needs it, that the end game is fixed. This doesn't prevent it from being one of the last few decent games, mind you - there is probably no other game out there where anyone is winning £10 with the frequency that some on here are doing with DOND.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Nil Satis wrote:if you then played the game as I (and I suspect many others) do and ended up with the final choice of two virtually every time (rather than accepting an intermediate offer), you would win the £20 once in every 16 games
Actually, inspired by QM's suggestion that the average win was £3.20 I've now started collecting anything above £3.50! Dare I say it I may be averaging slightly more than was previously the case. There's also the issue that if it wants to give you £10 and you take £3.50, generally it will be paying the next game as well.
SWP

Post by SWP »

There's also the issue that if it wants to give you £10 and you take £3.50, generally it will be paying the next game as well.
Is there something to be learnt form the AWP world here?
grecian

Post by grecian »

SWP wrote:
There's also the issue that if it wants to give you £10 and you take £3.50, generally it will be paying the next game as well.
Is there something to be learnt form the AWP world here?
Not sure, as I almost never play AWPs...
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Nil Satis wrote:there is probably no other game out there where anyone is winning £10 with the frequency that some on here are doing with DOND.
Word Up.
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

Ive found 1 to 100 pretty good value for money. Im completely mediocre as well so I can imagine the pros are lovin it

DoW is ok and Ive found on occasion you can force it a bit as well, although it does try to prevent this with built in early money q's.

Hex appeal is one of my faves and Ive noticed its a guilty pleasure for a few others on here as well. It sure isnt a payer tho.

Alien Attack is normally ok for a quid or two, but it does try to spolier you to death before the money question more often than other games.

New games - great escape and the fish one are toss and totally avoided. Likewise monopoly, cleudo and hangman 3 which have now been made totally rubbish by the publishers.

Milli is still ok for a few quid now and then, but overall, on the itbox I reckon Im with Nil Satis, most of them are completely rubbish.
dm

Post by dm »

ZAX wrote: Milli is still ok for a few quid now and then, but overall, on the itbox I reckon Im with Nil Satis, most of them are completely rubbish.
I wouldn't care about the money if there were games I actually looked forward to playing. I mean the cash I am likely to win or lose ( a few quid up or down) is trivial compared to what I earn (nothing spectacular). Even going into a new pub and getting 50000+ on Itbox Soccer gets me 3 quid if I'm lucky. I do the same on Shoot for the Stars and I more or less pay for my pint .... which I only bought so I could play on the quizzer....

To be honest I'd pay 50p for the odd game of Boggle/Word Wall/Brainteaser/other-genuine-skill-game even if the only "prize" was getting on the scoreboard or a free game. [Programmers are you reading?]
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

dmac07 wrote:
ZAX wrote: Milli is still ok for a few quid now and then, but overall, on the itbox I reckon Im with Nil Satis, most of them are completely rubbish.
To be honest I'd pay 50p for the odd game of Boggle/Word Wall/Brainteaser/other-genuine-skill-game even if the only "prize" was getting on the scoreboard or a free game. [Programmers are you reading?]
Yeah I suppose thats why I used to play cryptic and s and d so much - if youre not a pro (and lets face it there are only three (sic- see other thread)) then if nothing else you want a decent bang for your buck and some sort of kudos. Nice to have a steady earner though. I used to play Itbox soccer quite a bit actually, mainly for the fun of it with my old man whose a footie whizz, but as you point out it I found it could easily go 20.000+ for a quid after any win and get worse from there. Then, another game and 20000 would get you four quid just like that. Cant imagine what the jp level is- dont know whether youve ever had a sniff of one?
grecian

Post by grecian »

I was going to ask dmac what his biggest IS prize is. Also he's not answered my questions about his technique on the other thread!
dm

Post by dm »

ZAX wrote:
dmac07 wrote:
Yeah I suppose thats why I used to play cryptic and s and d so much - if youre not a pro (and lets face it there are only three (sic- see other thread)) then if nothing else you want a decent bang for your buck and some sort of kudos. Nice to have a steady earner though. I used to play Itbox soccer quite a bit actually, mainly for the fun of it with my old man whose a footie whizz, but as you point out it I found it could easily go 20.000+ for a quid after any win and get worse from there. Then, another game and 20000 would get you four quid just like that. Cant imagine what the jp level is- dont know whether youve ever had a sniff of one?
never been anywhere near the jp mate. Nothing more than 4 or 5 quid as far as I remember. I've had better prizes in games I don't even understand

And if it's going to pay out it'll pay it all out by 25,000 although sometimes there's an extra quid at 35 - 40k.

There's a spolier level which usually kicks in at fifty-something thousand, just like there was in the old Football Crazy. Probably still doable if you see it often enough, things like NON-LEAGUE CLUB --------, DEFENDER ------ etc.

I was onto the spoilers at my work pub last week before I'd even got a quid (my fault for playing it every lunchtime heh)
ZAX

Post by ZAX »

dmac07 wrote:
There's a spolier level which usually kicks in at fifty-something thousand, just like there was in the old Football Crazy. Probably still doable if you see it often enough, things like NON-LEAGUE CLUB --------, DEFENDER ------ etc.

I was onto the spoilers at my work pub last week before I'd even got a quid (my fault for playing it every lunchtime heh)
Yeah, I used to like FC as well. Someone on here posted a load of answers to the old FC ages back, but I think that was just in frustration that no matter how many answers you had the prize structure made it impossible for it to be a steady earner. One thing Ive noticed is that the IS's round where I live (Nottingham) never have any Notts players categories or Mansfield or any 'local' teams. Do you think this is delib? Reading back you look like you play in London - do you get London teams categories then or are you bombarded with obscure Notts County/Forest players instead?!!