Caveman Capers- ridiculous prize structure

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Northern Monkey

Caveman Capers- ridiculous prize structure

Post by Northern Monkey »

Hello everyone, stumbled across your board today looking for info on the above - great read.

Reason I was looking is played it in a pub on Sunday and the first win ie £1 was at the extreme left of the prize structure and no other prizes. Suggests to me that someone knows a way of emptying it??
grecian

Re: Caveman Capers- ridiculous prize structure

Post by grecian »

Interesting - I've not seen that prize structure but it does suggest it's very recently been emptied. I don't think there would be any great magic to JPing Captain Caveman - I've never done it, but sometimes the prize targets are pretty low and you can move up a prize every one or maybe two questions. That said, I've never taken more than about £4 from it thus far, but I'm not *that* good at timing the batting element properly.
grecian

Post by grecian »

grecian wrote:Interesting - I've not seen that prize structure but it does suggest it's very recently been emptied. I don't think there would be any great magic to JPing Caveman Capers - I've never done it, but sometimes the prize targets are pretty low and you can move up a prize every one or maybe two questions. That said, I've never taken more than about £4 from it thus far, but I'm not *that* good at timing the batting element properly.
Ernest W. Quality

Post by Ernest W. Quality »

Hi Hornby, are you the Hornby who had some WU scores in the Hammersmith area?
grecian

Post by grecian »

Bo**ocks! Meant to edit rather than quote my post above. I am rubbish; I'll get my coat.

Post by Guest »

Ernest W. Quality wrote:Hi Hornby, are you the Hornby who had some WU scores in the Hammersmith area?
Hmm yeah we've seen Hornby around, haven't we...
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

the hornby wrote:Hello everyone, stumbled across your board today looking for info on the above - great read.

Reason I was looking is played it in a pub on Sunday and the first win ie £1 was at the extreme left of the prize structure and no other prizes. Suggests to me that someone knows a way of emptying it??
What you are likely to have seen (unless it was a bug of some sort) is a prize structure where the first prize of £1 was a long way from the start of the 'skeleton' - I've seen it up around 3000 points - but that the other prizes were still located to the left of that.

I may be wrong, and this is definitely a game where practice helps a lot, both in the skill element and on the harder questions, but I'd be very surprised if someone had been able to learn it to the extent of forcing the prize structure to be THAT difficult. The spoilers kick in with some predictability to guard against that very possibility.

What is disappointing for me in this game is how quickly it seems to have been killed, and this is in a range of locations and types of pub which I'd find very hard to believe the same people could be covering. What seems more likely to me is that it reacts very badly to a reasonable win (say £5+) being collected and decides to climb back into its metaphorical cave for a long time. It's a shame because I really hoped this was a decent game but it now seems unplayable in at least 90% of pubs after only having been out a couple of months. Ho hum...
cool

Post by cool »

correct Mr Satis! Just as the guaranteed win on a millionaire would ruin the prize structure, the cash prize on a Caveman (£2) ruined the prize structure for me recently.
Northern Monkey

vaginalbob wrote:
Ernest W. Quality wrote:Hi Hornby, are you the Hornby who had some WU scores in the Hammersmith area?
Hmm yeah we've seen Hornby around, haven't we...
Probably is me- I do like the Word Up but tend to be more round Fleet Street area- not sure I have played in Hammersmith area but could have been a machine that's been moved there as Ive certainly played it everywhere else.
:shock:
Northern Monkey

[/quote] What you are likely to have seen (unless it was a bug of some sort) is a prize structure where the first prize of £1 was a long way from the start of the 'skeleton' - I've seen it up around 3000 points - but that the other prizes were still located to the left of that.[quote]

No the £1 was on the extreme left ie the end of the skeleton at whatever that is say 20k. There were no more prizes WTF
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

hi Hornby, welcome to the fruitchat.
i've seen the skellington with £1 at the end (i.e. JP) too. a couple of times, so i'll back you up on it.

i've also seen your name on WU in ye olde cock and walkabout on victoria embankment.

let Ernest know your scores for his national leaderboard (http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/nfm24/scores.html)
nobody ever wins on those things.
grecian

Post by grecian »

Fleet Street is my main machining area as well. With at least two other decent players in the street, no wonder the yields are so average!
Northern Monkey

grecian wrote:Fleet Street is my main machining area as well. With at least two other decent players in the street, no wonder the yields are so average!
Which pubs- I tend to go in the Devereux, the Walkabout as noted, occasionally Ye Olde Cock, v occasionally- the Bell, the Cartoonist, Hog's Head on Fetter lane

Used to go in O'Neills on New Bridge Street (a lot) but no SWP in there anymore nor the George and of course Hogshead on Ludgate Circes is no more