Post by wires74 »

I think they are called I-Quest
cool

Post by cool »

At least they are not giving up.
Of course they havent manufactured eggs for years
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Don't get what the problem is here. One keeps it going up - but it's rare you'll find it much above say 7 quid. The other keeps going back to a fiver.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

Am I right in thinking the Paragon jackpot never drops below £0.60? If so, I guess someone really good - the sort of person Sir Alex Ferguson might describe as a "top, top player" - could play relentlessly for a return of - ooh, I don't know, anything up to £1.50 an hour (minus expenses). There's your easy money, right there. It reminds me of BarQuest in the old days when you could trudge around the 50p and £1 trails even when the machine was in Hard Mode, if you knew all the questions (and had a very high boredom threshold).

Seriously, though, kudos to the Pointless designers, who have come up with a prize structure which means you don't have to pull the game from a cabinet completely to defend it against really good players, which always seemed like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
cool

Post by cool »

if you win it drops to £2.50 and jackpot never goes above £5.00. Now do you get it.
cool

Post by cool »

yes in the barquest days there was a guy from the New Forest who trudged round the pubs with the barquest . He knew just about every answer and always made money but it was mind numbingly boring. He was one of those caught up in the Paddy Spooner Ill pay for the phones calls and be your friend for a percentage of your winnings 'scandal'. Although it wasnt a scandal at all Paddy Spooner wasnt doing anything illegal.Still able to google it up.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

I know someone who brought cryptic crosswords along to keep him occupied while he did Barquests.
cool

Post by cool »

Remember the name although his name is prob on this site from yrs back , it was Gareth.
As Ive said before Paddy thought of himself as a showman and courted attention playing the machines in the middle of winter in shorts and reading a broadsheet at the same time as playing the machine.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Oh dear. I did once play two side-by-side machines simultaneously. And indulge in the "cover the question" game .
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

cool wrote:Remember the name although his name is prob on this site from yrs back , it was Gareth.
As Ive said before Paddy thought of himself as a showman and courted attention playing the machines in the middle of winter in shorts and reading a broadsheet at the same time as playing the machine.
I've done that plenty of times - read a paper, not worn ostentatious shorts. Last thing I want is to draw attention to myself mind.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

muddle wrote: Also,there seems few time-based games.I can only think of The Chase (anyone think that needs more spoilers?!) at this moment.There's been plenty of such games in the past.How about a game along these lines: You get 20 questions,you have to score so many points to win a tenner.The quicker you answer each question correctly,the more points you get.You don't get the jackpot,the points total drops a little.Simple as that.It could be protected from pro play by,after a win,setting the points total at a level where lightning reflexes would be required.Some spoilers could be used too of course!
Ok,I'll leave it there as I'm about to visit a succession of public houses,and sadly may not see a quiz machine all night.
Well I go back to 1986 and at the start just about every game required pretty quick reactions. People got those reactions then so would undoubtedly do so again. The current programmers mindset seems to preclude anything which might give "pros" a chance!

Whenever I've played "The Chase" on anything over about 19 the spoilers are there in abundance
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

cool wrote:yes in the barquest days there was a guy from the New Forest who trudged round the pubs with the barquest . He knew just about every answer and always made money but it was mind numbingly boring. He was one of those caught up in the Paddy Spooner Ill pay for the phones calls and be your friend for a percentage of your winnings 'scandal'. Although it wasnt a scandal at all Paddy Spooner wasnt doing anything illegal.Still able to google it up.
Ha ha! Reminds me of a Brum lad we used to see occasionally who used to play those "11-move monopolies" (i.e. the ones that didn't give you "go back three spaces")-so named because the chance/community chest cards moved 11 times not 10 as with the original monopoly. We gave him a lift to Leeds/Bradford airport and he spent 6 hours taking the money out in £2.00 wins for the Old Kent Road/Whitechapel set...