£1 Quiz Master Jackpot

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
davey

£1 Quiz Master Jackpot

Post by davey »

Went to a paragon today and played quiz master, the top prize was £1 rather than £10??? Is this because a pro has just won and the rate is no longer available. Also apart from million pound drop, what other games can pros make any money on, as when looking at the games, most seemed to have a get out clause?? One more question, do any of the machines hold any money, I won £3 and the machine went i.o.u for £2???
Thanks
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

Yep - the £1 Jackpot is what happens after a certain amount of money has been won on the game. It doesn't usually happen after just one £10 JP has been won, but of course you never know how the game has been played up to the point when you win that £10. The £1 JP state is of course a waste of time to pro and punter alike, and it's basically the same as the game being self-removed by the machine - it seems inconceivable that enough losing games will ever be played again with that as the top prize for the game to recover to its normal state.

Some Paragon games have this particular form of protection and at least one (By Any Means) does actually self-remove. Other machines have different forms of protection - eg the Open/Hotwire games all tend to move into a recognisable set of impossible questions (Star Wars minor characters, exact attendances at football matches etc) if they don't want to pay out.

There are certainly more games to win on than Million Pound Drop but there are only a very small number of people out there still able to do so, and it is always worth bearing in mind the one really useful piece of advice that that Colour of Money guy put forward in those recent press articles - games can and will get as hard as they need to so don't try to 'force' one that doesn't want to pay, move on to something/somewhere else.

As for the last question re your IOU, non-payments are an occupational hazard. Quiz machines don't tend to hold as much cash as fruit machines - they don't take as much and in 99% of cases they don't need to. One company (Sceptre) have taken this principle to what they seem to think is its logical conclusion, by deliberately restricting to £20 the amount that a machine is able to pay, ignoring how much it might actually have taken. This immoral (and presumably illegal) practice means it is always worth checking for a Sceptre sticker on a machine if there is chance you might win a decent prize or two.

A non-payment is not always deliberate however - as with anything electronic there will always be faults, eg I had a Paragon error on me last night - it said 'Hopper Error' after I tried to claim my first £5 or so. It was in a nice suburban pub where I had easy access to the plug socket so I switched it on and off again and tried something that has worked in the past, namely 'counting to 10' before pressing Collect after winning on a game, and that did the trick and I was able to collect several subsequent prizes without the problem reoccurring.
cool

Post by cool »

Totally agree with the above comments particularly with regard to Sceptre.The only positive thing I will say about them is that they do issue refunds for non-payouts (when evident) although it makes it annoying when its due to the machine running out of money.Possibly the biggest culprit in scamming punters is Games Warehouse who have devised a whole series of error messages that hide the winnings so that there is no evidence for the punter to prove he is owed (he as women are shite at swp's!) .
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Been caught out by a Gameswarehouse deciding to cock up a payout a few times. Why I've taken to always filming the payout. If anyone moans, I'll replay them. A 10 second piece of footage with a clear bank and me pressing collect won't be a big waste of time.

Also I'm a guy that on the whole does force out MPDs. I just love the game. If it's 3-4-4 from the start and spoilers I leave it but I do just enjoy a good quizzer binge, couple of pints and answering questions/educating ones self. One of the few games where you do get to see the correct answer if you go wrong. I used to only dabble in Monopoly Hot Property but MPD is now outright my fave and I'll sit on it all day.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Nil Satis wrote:Yep - the £1 Jackpot is what happens after a certain amount of money has been won on the game. It doesn't usually happen after just one £10 JP has been won, but of course you never know how the game has been played up to the point when you win that £10. The £1 JP state is of course a waste of time to pro and punter alike, and it's basically the same as the game being self-removed by the machine - it seems inconceivable that enough losing games will ever be played again with that as the top prize for the game to recover to its normal state.
Wrong. I've seen plenty £1 JPs come back. It depends how much it's been put to £1 by. Most obvious scenario on QM is where it's on the cusp, you're chasing the £10 and you f*** up and win £1, next game is £1 JP. Then you have to work out whether to sacrifice £3 to bring it back.
cool

Post by cool »

I can see that that is the case but it would take a retard to play game after game when £1 is on offer so consequently if somebody wins a jackpot it will take a mighty long time to revert .Fair enough if it the player themselves that has won a pound and its gone into protective mode but the general rule of thumb must be when on £1 mode, avoid,other than have a 1 game check every few months.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

I've seen games getting play whilst on £1. Don't ask me to explain why. In my experience it just depends; if I win £10 when it's on the cusp it's likely to be screwed in perpetuity, but plenty games where I've put it to £1 by winning £5 or thereabouts its been back next visit. Also depends whether the game is front menu or not.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

A little bit of good news when there isn't much of it about. Presumably the people playing it have no chance of winning the jackpot whether it's £1 or £10, so it must be that they just like playing the game for its own sake, despite having no realistic chance of winning. If all games were like that, the industry wouldn't be in trouble.
cool

Post by cool »

That is a very pertinent point.The games in the old days went into blatant protection mode , for example questions marks in a fruit machine quiz switched the jackpot from £20 to 70p in an instant until the machine had take enough to switch back.Supernudges would make it almost impossible with increasing the number of nudges needed and the speed needed to answer the questions.Blockbusters would increase the ceiling needed to get into the second phase although with some manipulation you could own the machine.The list is endless.
I would rather know immediately whether I can win or not,than faff around for half an hour to get my stake back.The programmers should learn lessons from the past.An old game could give the muppets some entertainment without them knowing they hadnt a chance of winning a bean whilst the pro's would see the tells and move on keeping the pro and the punter happy.Today nobody is (or very few) are happy.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

They can't do that any more Cool - regulations state that all advertised prizes must be available in very game. The days of Coinmaster question marks are long gone, as are thankfully the £20 wins that couldn't be won. It's a case of what you see is what you can get these days.....which isn't much.
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday