SWP player breaking cover

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Scott

Post by Scott »

Its clearly some sort of ego trip, now its in a national paper he will notice the difference with barrings, he deserves everything he gets
Cobwebs 👆
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The link to the story is here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -king.html

As for why he has done it, an ego trip is certainly one possibility but my guess is that he has been putting all his eggs in one basket (The Colour of Money) for a long time and now he has seen at least one and possibly two changes in that game:

(1) a new question bank in the current Paragon release, which has definitely happened and would mean him starting all over again in terms of learning enough of the spoilers to succeed

(2) perhaps the predictability in the end game has been removed at the same time (and, No, I don't know the details of this predictability, other than that it is alleged to exist) but if it was there and is no longer there then he would no longer have that specific advantage over everyone else and would no longer be able to win at anything like the same rate

If both these two things have indeed happened, maybe he has decided it is time to start planning his exit.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

I used to play this game a bit and felt I could kind of predict how the numbers would add up on the qualifying round but not on the endgame.
The game's too long and tedious for me though.
Why The Sun of all papers? Is he hoping to become a minor celebrity and go on next years IACGMOOH?
Anyway, it's a very in depth article - not. Can't recall any game that would need you to learn 500 Dickens characters. Well done Christian - surely he posts on here?
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

not so bloomin' eager to break cover on here if he does eh?
cool

Post by cool »

If he does break cover here judging by the bulk of comments he will endure a metaphorical kicking and a few Glasgow kisses.Funny how the Sun claims the story as an exclusive when we know it appeared weeks earlier.
Topical2009

Post by Topical2009 »

And he's in the Mail today. Maybe he's hoping somebody will see it and offer him an interesting and well-paid job? Sadly my experience of having long gaps on your cv where you've been playing machines is not positive (in fact, I'd go so far as to say you might as well add "molesting farmyard animals" to your Interests).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ng-it.html
cp999

Post by cp999 »

And in the Metro. The Max Clifford of machine playing! Alleged C4 documentary next..
Scott

Post by Scott »

Now it makes sense, he's looking for a proper job, still not a good idea to put your story in the paper, also, he says he's only ever seen one other pro quizzer, shows how good they are at staying under the radar. Its a very different world to the fruit machine circuit, i wonder how long it will be before a fruit player does a story?
Cobwebs 👆
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Scott wrote: he says he's only ever seen one other pro quizzer, shows how good they are at staying under the radar.
There are far fewer of them. He only saw one (me) because I tried to have a conversation with him; we also bumped into each other another time in a completely different city. Not sure how observant he is - he didn't think there were any fruit pros.
Scott

Post by Scott »

cp999 wrote:There are far fewer of them. He only saw one (me) because I tried to have a conversation with him; we also bumped into each other another time in a completely different city. Not sure how observant he is - he didn't think there were any fruit pros.
Will you be having 'words' with him if your paths cross again?
Cobwebs 👆
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Scott wrote:Will you be having 'words' with him if your paths cross again?
I don't see the point. To be fair, whilst I think what he's done is stupid, he did tell me he was going to do this, and apologised in advance.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

maybe he's getting the 'story' out there to add substance to a very sparse looking c.v when he does go for a proper job
grecian

Post by grecian »

Like JG, I thought the suggestion he made £80 on his first day was unbelievable - certainly at any time since the mid-90s. Even for a naturally highly knowledgeable and skilled individual, in my view there's quite a lot of learning of spoilers, getting the hang of things etc. to be done before you can make those sorts of amounts.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

......unless he was purely sharking mugs all day on the original wwtbam's
wires74

Post by wires74 »

Cp99 in which city did u meet him?