By Any Means UPDATED!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
rogerthymes

Post by rogerthymes »

cp999 wrote:I'm fairly sure it was only on itbox.
That's as maybe but you're still wrong.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

rogerthymes wrote:That's as maybe but you're still wrong.
Definitely on Paragons but I'm positive version 1 never made it to a Gamesnet in any area of the country I visited..(which is a lot)
wires74

Post by wires74 »

they were on gamesnet maybe for only one edition and played considerably easier than on warehouses or itbox's
grecian

Post by grecian »

Been told to post something so has anyone seen the new 40p per play variant of BAM? There's an irritating new feature in it too, which appears later in the game.
wires74

Post by wires74 »

What's the irritating new feature grecian?
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

40p Play? Sounds value. What's next - 10p for a game of Pub Quiz?
Stupid punters. Telly all the week, screw the wife Saturday
AMK

Post by AMK »

I love pub quiz. However I usually stumble after the £5 round. Anyone got any tips for getting to £10? Please nothing sarcastic, I have just ordered in twenty six moustache shaped kilos of tetra-benzoyl-levo-hydroxyoxypoxyboxy-gabubutalinoaminoic-para-benzo-nitrate and am feeling a little bit highly strung. One stray malodorous stress induced fart could send the whole place up.
... Join The Party!
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

Learn a shit load of lists. The last round is full of 'em
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

grecian wrote:Been told to post something so has anyone seen the new 40p per play variant of BAM? There's an irritating new feature in it too, which appears later in the game.
My guess is that grecian means the fact that once you are in the money rounds on the new 40p per play variant, the moves start to get shorter and shorter, with one of the three choices usually only 10% of the mileage remaining. Hence the reduction in the stake money has been accompanied by an increase in difficulty. It's hard to see any punters rushing to play an 'old' game more even if they notice the stake reduction, and making it close to impossible for them to win even the lowest prize is hardly going to encourage them to keep playing.

If all that wasn't enough, I saw two separate examples at the weekend of something I hadn't ever seen before - a £1 Jackpot By Any Means game (both on the new version). Yep, that's right - how do you fancy trying to win 60p for answering 100+ questions?!

I've felt for some time that GWHL are all that's left now - if the other machine companies were all that was around then the SWP game would be dead and gone for any semi-serious player. I still think that is the case but after 3 and a half stinkers in a row on their Q&A games and not one but two 'Let's Play Skill Roulette' games (Minesweeper and DOND No Questions), there's a real hint of desperation about even them now.
QuizMaster

Post by QuizMaster »

I've seen that £1 jackpot game a few times, notably in Scotland and around Stoke. Clearly there are some hotshots out there on this game.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

It's something that has been introduced with the new variant of the game - previously the game would self-remove after a certain number of prizes had been won, rather than going to £1 Jackpot mode.

By Any Means has been an undisputed winner from GWHL, both for players and punters - its longevity must mean that it has been a reliable payer for the machine operators as well as a game offering decent prizes to players, and over more than one game. Now though it seems clear that its days are numbered and the real shame is the poor quality of their newer Q&A games, which aren't going to do anything to properly replace it.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

Nil Satis wrote:It's something that has been introduced with the new variant of the game - previously the game would self-remove after a certain number of prizes had been won, rather than going to £1 Jackpot mode.
Wrong. The original version reliably went to £1; that feature has probably remained within the program throughout the lifetime of the various different editions, just that usually the self-removal has come before the £1 activation so that you don't normally see the £1 on the intervening editions.

(edit: self-removal didn't occur on the first edition of BAM, or several other games for that matter..)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

OK - fair enough. I haven't seen it up till now and that covers lots of machines in many locations but I accept it might have been there all along. It's a moot point I suppose whether it's any better to have the game in £1 JP mode rather than self-removed, i.e. can sufficient punter play return it into 'normal' mode? In my very scientific survey of around 20 pubs in a large Midlands conurbation at the weekend, I'd say it was something like 50% missing (assume self-removed), 40% normal mode and 10% £1 JP mode, with those 20 machines probably split roughly 50:50 into new variant vs old.
Captain.Tattybojangles

Post by Captain.Tattybojangles »

Here's something...It's 40p play which MIGHT entice a few more people, but what about Quizmaster and other games taht offer the "10p to continue" sometimes? Now normally I'd do that, have 47p or whatever it is sitting in credit and put a quid in again because I can't be bothered fumbling for change. But now i'd just switch to BAM for a game. Wonder what the cheaper game will mean in terms of money put through and how many more Joe public play this game?
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

The £1.00 jackpot was seen two years ago in Scotland-well before the disappearing game trick made it's debut