PMP back on Paragons again!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
rogerthymes

PMP back on Paragons again!

Post by rogerthymes »

Saw the latest version for the first time today. Loads of new categories - especially film ones:

Films starring Angelica Huston
Films starring Al Pacino
Films starring Annette Bening etc etc
plus Death and others I can't remember.

The odder 'update' was MOTD (the Q & A one) which seemed exactly the same except when you answer correctly the green 'tick' is surrounded by kind of little stars. That honestly seemed the only difference unless I've missed something obvious.

Anyway, got no real gripes about these machines, only ones worth playing now.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

rogerthymes wrote:The odder 'update' was MOTD (the Q & A one) which seemed exactly the same except when you answer correctly the green 'tick' is surrounded by kind of little stars. That honestly seemed the only difference unless I've missed something obvious.
That's my take on the update as well. It looks to be mainly cosmetic - as well as the little stars for a right answer, any Free Pass and Challenge moves are highlighted and you get a little 'rain shower' at the end of non-prize rounds, similar to the 'ticker tape' that appears at the end of prize rounds. There has been one small change to one of the Challenge games, in that you only have to put the football studs in, rather than take them out then put them back, and there's no doubt some new questions in there as well, but in the end it's just good news that at least the game has survived.

rogerthymes wrote:Anyway, got no real gripes about these machines, only ones worth playing now.
Amen to that. Despite the fact that three of their last four Q&A games have been such duds, with the fourth one merely acceptable, which isn't exactly a reassuring trend, without GWHL the quiz machine game really would be up, so pitiful are so many of the other offerings.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i found the new PMP on a terminal at lunchtime and a ripple of joy coursed through me; this is one of the games i've always liked. as well as being quite good at it, i still find it entertaining too.
so i welcome the challenge of all the new categories, the towns in >US state< didn't seem very obscure (apart from hawaii which is obviously a pig) and the films of >X< are normally guessable. these are not vastly interesting subjects, they should have used my list:
&quot wrote:~ ingredients in a big mac (or kebab if that is litigious).

~ rhetorical devices (chiasmus, litotes, zeugma etc.)

~ minor royals

~ darts players

~ synonyms for drunk

~ famous belgians (i can only think of SOETKIN BAPTIST)

~ poisons (equivalent to explosives)

~ gypsy misdemeanours

~ disgraced politicians
mind you i only squeezed in four games today so there will be others i didn't see.

on first glance it doesn't appear to have altered in gameplay since the previous update, that is to say the bonus round can still smell a bit like fish.
periodic updates on the games are needed to prevent them becoming stale, after the umpteenth time of seeing ONEIROGMOPHOBIA, the amusement of what the fear is soon fades, and it takes away the challenge. so although it is now harder to get a win, the new categories invigorate the game. so cheers.

despite it being hangman pimped, there is a certain amount of wit in the game which appeals to my infantile side. Cf the spoiler categories on hex appeal which are super-dull, i will play this one for enjoyment, and a brownie point to GWHL for putting a picture of esther rantzen on the horses category.
nobody ever wins on those things.
messiah

Post by messiah »

Isty are you out and about a lot at the moment then?

Making any money at all?
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

like the general population, i'm not playing much Messi. although i still enjoy tinkering. at least this might strike a blow for the wordgame menu (which has admittedly been generous recently).
nobody ever wins on those things.
messiah

Post by messiah »

Likewise, pop out for the odd game of the old favourite. But that's just for fun rather than anything else
Cf

Post by Cf »

I like the upgrade to this. Yorkshire towns as a spoiler category is quite agreeable. Especially when the prize question was a place just down the road from where I live!

Gone off Hex these days. Prize money never in sight and the categories are so dull. I often load up Hex and just kill myself on the first go as I cba trying to guess jockeys and welsh names. PMP by contrast is much more fun. Funny categories to start, and it'll let you answer quite a few as you need 3 to fill a pint.