The lights go out, one by one...

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
quizard

Post by quizard »

exactly wrote:If a pro is in his forties and has done nothing else for 20 years then he is probably not capable of doing much else now. They have no choice but to keep going I suspect.
Well I am older than that and have been at it 26 years. And are still quite capable of doing numerous things thank you LOL. Now where's my Sanatogen ;)
exactly

Post by exactly »

quizard wrote:Well I am older than that and have been at it 26 years. And are still quite capable of doing numerous things thank you LOL. Now where's my Sanatogen ;)
Lol... Fair enough
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

quizard wrote:Well I am older than that and have been at it 26 years. And are still quite capable of doing numerous things thank you LOL. Now where's my Sanatogen ;)
Have you noticed lately how some caring establishments have made room for our zimmers next to the machine? I must admit though the sheer task of standing for up to 11 hours a day is beginning to take it's toll.
cp999

Post by cp999 »

tonkarentino wrote: I must admit though the sheer task of standing for up to 11 hours a day is beginning to take it's toll.
Give yourself a break, take a seat! It helps when you slip into a diabetic coma after coke no. 15.
cool

Post by cool »

I ran 1.07.08 in the Salisbury 10mile race today and yesterday played board 4 for the u150 Hampshire team at Basingstoke (drawing) so Exactly can stick it! as my mental and physical capabilities arent diminishing with age(49). ok my chess and running is mediocre and doesnt have that far to fall anyway!
messiah

Post by messiah »

I think the point is that most employers would think twice about employing a 40-plus person with nothing on their CV, no matter what they are actually capable of.
cool

Post by cool »

Im intrigued I was filmed running up a snowy hill a few years ago by local television ....... That is the extent of my tv career to my knowledge!

JG edit: After racking my brain cells (what is left of them), I was getting mixed up with fotherz's appearance on some word based mid morning quiz show affair a fair few months back.
cool

Post by cool »

messiah you are quite right... My savings are supplementing my meagre winnings at the moment, but I was reasonably sensible at salting something away when times were good and unlike a lot of people I dont aspire to a bigger house more holidays and better car, Im happy as I am .
grecian

Post by grecian »

I think the point that a 40 year-old who's suddenly out of a job might struggle to find something new is a point that applies to most of us rather than solely to professional quiz machinists.

Yes, I'm sure some of the big guns of the SWP world will be looking nervously at the state of the industry at the moment. But equally I'd expect many of them, like Cool, to have saved money during the good times like any sensible person (in theory) would.
ruthl3ss

Post by ruthl3ss »

I`d be very curious to meet one of you Pro`s before its all over.
cool

Post by cool »

very few of the contributors to this part of fruitmachinechat are pro's(discussed before).There may be many lurking in the background who watch but dont actually write anything and virtually every contributor will never reveal actually who they are regardless of whether they are of a pro standard or absolute pants at quiz machines playing.Where are you based?
quizard

Post by quizard »

ruthl3ss wrote:I`d be very curious to meet one of you Pro`s before its all over.
Most players are 'Secret Agents' except for cool course ;) pic in the Morning Advertiser etc LOL
ruthl3ss

Post by ruthl3ss »

im around se10
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

e14
cool

Post by cool »

I am incredibly short sighted and not practically inclined ...... Please somebody tell me how to start a thread in this new fangled format? It would be logical to have 'start new thread' somewhere.Well I cant see it.Sorry to post in wrong place but if I posted in the right place I would have posted this in a new thread, but then if I could post the comment in a new thread then I wouldnt have the need to create a new post as I would have solved the subject of the new post by finding out how to make a new thread.