Aggro!

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Glendale

Aggro!

Post by Glendale »

As a fruit player do you quiz boys get as much trouble in pubs or less? Are people as aware of what you win?
I am Glendale, much better than you!
messiah

Post by messiah »

Never had a jot of trouble from landlords/bar staff (other than them failing to ring after the machine's short paid).

But then again, I'm not out that often, and don't win much, and usually have a pint in each pub.

Clearing wordsoup would often get some admiring comments though (even had an operator asking me about it pleasantly when he was waiting to get at the machine while I finished my go).
civ77

Post by civ77 »

Never had any agro, occasionally get a look or comment if I am fortunate enough to collect more than £20.

I am sure I would get a lot more heat if I was collecting out £70 regardless of if I had stuck £50 through the machine before winning, nobody sees the money going in, but everyone hears it paying out.

That is a big plus side for quizzers, the money in/money out ratio of a good player is huge.
paragoon

Post by paragoon »

Been asked to leave once from a fairly small pub. No aggro though, landlord was a lot smaller than me and seemed a bit apprehensive. I was just mortally embarrassed and left sharpish.
I think I'd put a quid in, got a JP, collected and was just playing out the other 50p. Long time ago now...
quizard

Post by quizard »

I used to get a fair bit of flak back in the standalone days, although no where near as much as you would have thought considering how brutal it was then LOL. It's a lot less so now. Taking money out of multi's in installments somehow seems a lot less brutal and people arent aware of how much you have won unless they are stood watching you. And the units are so widespread you don't really need to go into the sort of dives where you are more likley to be banned if you don't want to.

Another thing that makes it less conspicuous these days is the is the size of the prizes relative to fruits. In the early days of quiz machines people would win three or four £10 cash JPs on a quizzer in quick sucession when fruits were still paying JPs of £2.40 in cash and £4.80 in tokens. So it did look like you were winning a lot of money in thoses days and far more than anyone ever won on a fruit machine.

PS When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about BigEd :wink: LOL
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

civ77 wrote:Never had any agro, occasionally get a look or comment if I am fortunate enough to collect more than £20.

I am sure I would get a lot more heat if I was collecting out £70 regardless of if I had stuck £50 through the machine before winning, nobody sees the money going in, but everyone hears it paying out.

That is a big plus side for quizzers, the money in/money out ratio of a good player is huge.
Cannot agree more about winning £70 pound on a fruiti, I don't play them as much now because im a bit paranoid about the attention you get as the machine chugs out 70 quid.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

i've been barred from two places: the Foetid Arms in uxbridge and the Publican in Prison in covent garden, compared to the gauntlet run by AWP players, this is nothing. although essentially, we do the same thing: get paid to go to the pub.

only rarely do you get anything other than ambivalence. i've never been accused of fiddling/magnets/phone scam/etc. but if you conduct yourself well and use the pub properly there shouldn't be a problem.
occasionally you get an eager/bored/inquisitive publican who watches a little too obviously, but as soon as you collect and leave he busies himself polishing the pumps. equally, local joe sometimes offers to help. he is invariably cheerful and invariably hopeless. he will normally stick around for two unheeded wrong answers then skulk away in apology. as for people drinking nearby who are half-watching, when they shout out answers, from my experience, they tend to be right (regardless of whether you knew them anyway).

also it occurs to me that i've never had a stranger crack a funny like "drinks are on you then". there seems to be an understanding that SWP prizes are earned whereas AWP prizes are perceived to have been won.

so no, there is very little trouble; a deal of curiosity, occasional congratulation and general apathy.
nobody ever wins on those things.
cool

Post by cool »

the Foetid Arms in uxbridge - where is that? It calls for a cool visit.
quizard

Post by quizard »

I don't think that is is the real name of the pub lol. You know how Isty likes to use middle English LOL
Give Us A Break 30th Anniversary
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

why would anyone make a pilgrimage to the grottiest pub in the grottiest 'burb of the greatest city? tooting is much nicer.

but if anyone does care to go there, it is the ostler, ub8 1qs.
full of riff-raff, very unpleasant.

in comparison the blind beggar is very welcoming (but no SWP).

welcome back Cool.
nobody ever wins on those things.
cool

Post by cool »

Im back because I'm on a mates computer Ill have to set up a new account on my own computer.I initially thought I was being gagged! The Ostler , know it will report back if anything kicks off when I arrive on my mission of demolition.