Can't find the old WU thread, so I'll just make a new one

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
messiah

Post by messiah »

Looked like 2325 when I popped in Green Man yesterday.

Fucked off my face though so who knows.

BAM should pay well< was offering £2 for 4 rounds.

Failed to get close.

See above....
messiah

Post by messiah »

Fotherz banged in another quizzifications last night while I stood and watched (well ask him and that's what he'll say).

Pushed the pound to 2120 or something, and it stayed there for the next 10 games or whatever we played.

I'm coming more and more to think that the SWP need to up the percentage, otherwise one win of more than £2 turns them into unplayable for any random punter coming along - ie nobody will actually play them at all.
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

messiah wrote:Fotherz banged in another quizzifications last night while I stood and watched (well ask him and that's what he'll say).

Pushed the pound to 2120 or something, and it stayed there for the next 10 games or whatever we played.

I'm coming more and more to think that the SWP need to up the percentage, otherwise one win of more than £2 turns them into unplayable for any random punter coming along - ie nobody will actually play them at all.
And finally the penny drops!! (Not aimed at you individually!) Random punters need to be encouraged....just not when I'm trying to get on the bloody machine...
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

two humiliating 13-words which were allowed:

CONTAINERISED [sic]
IMPROVISATING [sic]

but it is still the best game. GRUESOMELY isn't going to win a gold medal but it is better than those two.

~ just checked my OED volumes and the first one is in there so it is my bad that i didn't know it, as for the other? well...
nobody ever wins on those things.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

REFLEXIVES longest
PIZZICATO scoringest
2219 total
in the same game.

it only won £4 but was still pleasing.
ailsa266

Post by ailsa266 »

my last three words for clearance tonight (without being intentionally set up) were , in order, "twas, always, thus". That impressed me no end, sad git that I am!!
cool

Post by cool »

re reprogrammed word soup it seems now your money is safe you dont lose it if you dont achieve next prize target
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

:lol: Nice!
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
messiah

Post by messiah »

cool wrote:re reprogrammed word soup it seems now your money is safe you dont lose it if you dont achieve next prize target
Shocker....
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

No more saving up for a big win then.
cool

Post by cool »

anyone noticed the dodgy reprogramming.low scores on high score.requirement for pound 2150 again and again and again.......
tonkarentino

Post by tonkarentino »

I must have dabbled with about 30 of these new "Word Soups" now and on just about every one there have been far more vowels than previously and not so many big scoring letters. Suits me because I'm only ever bothered how much money I can win but the purists on here will be having nightmares. One is somewhat limited with a J a couple of X's and a Q on a regular basis.
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

... but it's playing high-scoring words (for which the 'harder' letters are needed) that is the main way you win money on this game, not that winning money is the main reason for this game's longevity and popularity (which makes GWHL's decision to remove it all the more mystifying).

Besides, as cool points out, the rereleased version seems to have been set up on many boxes to not pay out a penny for a long time, with the initial target of 2150 out of the reach of all but the elite, without any major wins having been recorded to explain that. This seems to be a pattern with a lot of the games that have been tinkered with, supposedly to meet the HMRC guidelines - they have been made that much harder for ordinary punters to win on, never mind the small number of better players, that it's hard not to see how this will only hasten the decline of the SWPs.
Istenem

Post by Istenem »

it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. i don't pay much attention to numbers (except 11+). afaic a word's value has very little to do with arbitrary point values attributed to constituent letters. i hadn't noticed vowel predominance but now you mention it, perhaps. one thing which does seem to have changed is that there appear to be no increments after the £1 at the moment.

although it seems pertinent to comment that by playing the new version and winning £1 for a good clearance, it puts the game back and punters (who will not be aware why[/i] their games have changed) will see an impossible target.
so it seems counterproductive for the wellbeing of the game to play it too well too early.

by and large i'm leaving it alone for the time being and concentrating on improving my darts.
Northern Monkey

Post by Northern Monkey »

I played a wordsoup grandmasters on an itbox recently. Is grandmasters a new incarnation or a strange resurrection of the tourney version. It seemed updated in that it collected a fiver despite me pressing on and failing to clear???