High Scores...

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
j2k7311

High Scores...

Post by j2k7311 »

So I watched a couple films recently (they're kinda nerdy) relating to high score records on certain classic arcade games. The films were called 'King of Kong, a fistful of dollars' and 'High Score'.

I just wondered if there is any competitiveness between top boys on certain games in certain regions in the world of SWP. Is there any way of knowing national champs on different games, I guess not.

This post is kind of a random ramble - thought I would move away from the 'playing out of necessity' idea and just see what general thoughts are on the topic of competition. They are games of skill, with points and benchmarks after all!
cool

Post by cool »

To the pro high scores mean nowt its all about the money!
and anyway to be a good pro you need
(1) perserverance
(2) ability to recognise game potential for learning/playability
(3) ability to recognise games that are actually going to get played
(4) navigational skills
(5) mapping skills
(6) planning skills
(7) memory tactics / good ways of storing info
(8) ability at sniffing out pubs with swp's
(9) a strong right foot to whizz round the sites(I am shortly going to be attending a drivers awareness course!)
Nil Satis

Post by Nil Satis »

The only game I can think of where such stats exist (and in copious quantities too!) is Word Up/Word Soup - check out here for further enlightenment:

http://www.cantab.net/users/nfm24/ewq/wordup.html

There aren't many other games that would lend themselves to such a detailed approach - even if for some bizarre reason you wanted to keep a log of top scores on the Mini Bonus games on By Any Means, for example, it would have to be based on trust as no record is saved of such scores.

In the end though it's like cool says - for serious and semi-serious players, such matters are just an irrelevance. However did I ever tell you of the day I won £20 on WWTBAM in 1.7 seconds with my eyes closed? :wink:
pokerkingqueen

ermmmm

Post by pokerkingqueen »

Scrabble / Darts

both showed the winners and in a vicinity you would see the same names.
danzo

Post by danzo »

No matter where you are in the country, itbox games like Football Quiz have exactly the same high scores. What a coincidence! :roll:
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

Ok we all should no really that the pro player would be only interested in one result at the end of play and that is how much is in his pocket, there are some of us though who play for fun and i think having a high scores table is a major contribution to that fun. I would like to see more games that would not just give you a Top Ten but a placement such as you made 249th place with the repeat play draw to do a little better next time.
j2k7311

Post by j2k7311 »

Good replies thanks... I pretty much figured that cash would be the main incentive, just interesting I thought to draw a parallel with the arcade games and enthusiasts. Not nearly as cool as SWP players of course :wink:

I suppose the fundamental difference is the 'prize' element. They are played for the cash prizes, and in copious amounts for the top players I gather!

I am nowhere near being good on any of them, 1.7 seconds jp on WWTBAM... I can only do that with my eyes open right now, gotta start somwhere :lol: