sound

Discuss Quiz Machines here..
Istenem

sound

Post by Istenem »

another thing which occurred to me was the sound made by these games and potential opportunities. when i was a nipper i had an amiga and would have a rare old time with the very basic speech programme and tittering when i made my computer say things like KNOBCHEESE.

given the power of modern computers and the use of player names, a game which interacts by saying your screen name back to you in some sort of game scenario would appeal to pub folk, it could be any sort of android/spaceman/alien theme so the robotic voice would be in enough context to compensate for the neccessarily stilted pronunciation.

consider the old, old phileas fogg game where the voice would say "oh whizzbang old boy" and "top hole" if he then said the name of whoever was playing it would be great. obviously neanderthals would call themselves PHUQ or whatever and fall around laughing but they do that anyway on highscore tables and, a written swear is ten times uglier than one spoken.

it should be called Istenem's wicked game and have flashing lights and streamers. just my idle musings.
nobody ever wins on those things.
Weyland

Re: sound

Post by Weyland »

Istenem wrote:given the power of modern computers
Have you seen the machines that're in the average quiz cab? :)

It'd be nice, but I find the sound tends to have been muted on all the cabs I play on.
HornyNick

Post by HornyNick »

Great idea, but useless on 95% of machines due to loud music, loud customers, the sounds of stools being broken over heads etc.
Sex is not the answer.
Sex is the question.
"Yes" is the answer!

Post by 6502 »

HornyNick wrote:Great idea, but useless on 95% of machines due to loud music, loud customers, the sounds of stools being broken over heads etc.
Have to agree on that one, my local awp's & swp's are all mute!
unless I turn the volume up :wink:
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Ah, the amiga was a class beast! Cut my music-writing (pro-tracker!) and game-designing (AMOS & Deluxe Paint IV) on that lovely machine!

It is a shame that we don't get to hear the sounds too often on these games - is it true that 'Spoons don't allow for any volume whatsoever? The speech idea would be cool and pretty easy to implement with one of the many text-to-speech libraries available. But, if you never get to hear it... :(
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
fotherz

Post by fotherz »

Personally I always turn the volume down to avoid attention.

(Word Soup can be LOUD)
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Heh - I've never heard 'music' as tedious as that on Word Soup! It's almost just a 1-bar piece, is it not?
"And do you ever contradict yourself, Minister?" "Well, yes and no..."
kingzilla

Post by kingzilla »

fotherz wrote:Personally I always turn the volume down to avoid attention.

(Word Soup can be LOUD)
Actually i found the sound on word soup very important, the music seems to speed up if your running out of time. Very clever and i wish more developers would do this because i hate having to glance at the bloody timers.