Return of the 'One Arm Bandit'

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..

Red or Black?

Red
75%
Black
25%

Total votes: 8

stuart4010

Return of the 'One Arm Bandit'

Post by stuart4010 »

I don't know about you, but i'm bored with the conventional layout of the cabinets these days. Why don't the manu's stick a big silver arm with black knob onto the side of the machine, and make it a bit more enjoyable, just like when you went to the seaside and played 5p O-X-BAR for £1.00? Either that, or I want to see the return of 'G for Geroge'.... fucking genius!!! (Remember hitting club machine skillstops with it anyone?)

Obviously this isn't practical, but has anyone else got any ideas on how to spruse up boring cabinets?
Weyland

Re: Return of the 'One Arm Bandit'

Post by Weyland »

stuart4010 wrote:Obviously this isn't practical, but has anyone else got any ideas on how to spruse up boring cabinets?
<brace for flaming> Video? ;)
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

Fair comment, but the intention was to create more interaction with the player though. For example, a feature using a gun to shoot amounts that decrease in size, and increase in value... try to bring some kind of true skill into it??

I don't know, maybe i'm talking pish (again).
Weyland

Post by Weyland »

Well the trouble with true skill... is just that really. That's it's true skill. That would mean it wasn't an AWP anymore. I do take your point though, it would be very nice indeed to get more variety.

The main problem is almost certainly one of cost. Cabs and hardware aren't thrown away, they get a different picture and a new game stuck in them, and the factories are geared up to handle that. A unique bit like a gun or a lever will massively increase the cost. A video cab would solve that problem to some extent, because the game could have much more variety, even if there were no extra bits, and the games could be changed more easily than a current hitech.

Basically, while people still play the standard hitechs, nothing's gonna change. So, if you do happen to see something new... encourage it! ;)