Gaming Act

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Hunsford

Gaming Act

Post by Hunsford »

I am on the committee of a local social club, and we hire two £250 jackpot machines off a local company. I have recently had a disagreement with some of the other committee members over our relationship with this company over a certain issue.

At present this supplier opens the cash box on these machines, without any interference. However, I have been informed by a former committee member of the club that this is against the Gaming Act rules. Apparently, a supplier is not authorized to open the cash box – only a duly-authorized official of the club is allowed to do this. Is this ex-committee member right?
harry2

Post by harry2 »

Roulette free since December 2011.
mr lugsy

Post by mr lugsy »

it should really be supervised by yourselves and the money counted in front of you,it was at my local club before the smoking ban put it under.

not necessarily the law ,but the best way to ensure nobody gets screwed.
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

I too doubt that there is anything against it in the Gambling Act.
Sounds like an old committee rule that has become "Law" in people's minds.
stuart4010

Post by stuart4010 »

1. Stop hiring these machines - buy 2 instead (see ebay, pick up decent club machines around £200 + delivery). Not only will you save on the rental, but you can eliminate the possibility of any money going astray (not inferring that this was ever the case, of course... ever....)

2. Find out how much a maintenance contract would cost, then on a per visit basis to repair the machines if they are ever at fault. Ring round a few suppliers, don't just accept what the company you've previously been with say.
Hunsford

Post by Hunsford »

I see you have your own company aaamusements.co.uk. Have you ever been asked to count the takings out of the cash box, or do you already do it for any of your customers?

Thanks for the advice stuart4010.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

Hunsford wrote:I see you have your own company aaamusements.co.uk. Have you ever been asked to count the takings out of the cash box, or do you already do it for any of your customers?

Out of interest what machines are they?
The Duke of betchington Betchrider
aaamusements.co.uk

Post by aaamusements.co.uk »

Hunsford wrote:I see you have your own company aaamusements.co.uk. Have you ever been asked to count the takings out of the cash box, or do you already do it for any of your customers?

Back when I sited machines, I always used to count out the cash box takings myself (generally in front of the site owner) BUT this was because I always had straight 50/50 split on the machine profits rather than a rental aggreement - if I had rented the machines out then I would have left it up to the site to count the takings.

In some situations it is more complicated, for instance in some pubs the brewery pays the rental and gets the whole of or a split of the profits from it. This is usually administered by the machine supplier; hence they count the takings and split the money in whichever way is agreed.