Skegness dry as a bone ?

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
kidgloves

Skegness dry as a bone ?

Post by kidgloves »

Another half term, another trip to the coast.
We were on our way (wife and I) to Cleethorpes when I got to the A52 and thought fuck it, let's go to Skegness instead. Cleethorpes was a good choice for night time playing, lot's of pubs but what the hell was in them was a bit of a chance since last time we were there was 2 years ago.
Arcades in Cleethorpes were scant, so Skegness seemed the better venue.
After a couple of wrong turns around Boston we arrived a little late in Skeggy and booked into a b+b.
As it was now 3pm, immediate playing ensued and I was hitting things generally with good flavas, for those of you who don't know, I like my low tech stuff - chuzzy bar x's, Magic 10's, bar x 7's GG's Monop's and the like. Managed to avoid any real disasters and hit a few good 'uns for a fair profit.
The irony lay in the fact that the very first machine I played, a bar x 7 set to 30p play but £10, £20, £35 values was full but my suspicion alarm was on full alert so I left it after a tentative but dead £6 in. Went somewhere to get some dinner and came back an hour later to find the same machine some way off full. I thought I'd missed the boat here but it went full after £20 and proceeded to drop it's bollocks. A good £200 run saw it through to the end and I was a happy man.
Things got better from then on, little hits here and there for the odd £30-£50 then a few ready chuzzies for the streak feature sent me into comfortable profit.
It's amazing how many single zero l.e.d chuzzies Skegness has, coastal resorts all tend to adopt the same programs in my experience so there is always lots of choice.
I encountered a few locals along the way, lots of 'interested parties' whenever I got a nudge/win clocking where various machines were at, but not getting a look in when things seemed positive.
We generally move from 'arcade mode' to 'pub mode' at about 6pm and start drinking. Lot's of dross in the pubs, some venues still having the exact same machines in from 2-3 visits ago which is a good year/year and a half. The two bars to the left and right of the theatre, no action taken in the left bar as the machines didn't warrant any attention and at the same time the pier looked like it was going to go the same way as the Grand Hotel and the amusement/bar complex below it, fire engines galore and power off at the whole venue.
Luckily it was a false alarm or small problem and our knack of finding a fire roasting an arcade in Skegness was scuppered as we were also there last Summer when the Hotel went up.
The bar to the right of the theatre which loves it's karaoke nights has reduced machines by 1 and also has dross in. I succumbed to the urge to play and tried a few quid in a Money Spider. £9 in and no sign of a feature and I thought I'd be bailing with a £3 feature, telling myself to have better discipline, but luckily the first feature I got showed £10 on first cash shot so I indulged myself to wish it to be an IM.
I was rewarded after carrying on with the £35 cash shot a few presses later and turned it down and eventually got a normal Money Spider for £50 and no follow up.
A couple more pubs with dross/flat machines until we hit the two pubs near the train station. A Show Me The Mummy was full from the off and showing £10 nudge wins. Maybe the local players in Skeg don't bother with this, but I couldn't accept that as it was one of very few Red's in the pubs in Skegness and as such served as the mirage in the desert which should have been checked numerous times a day. I know it can be a bitch, but I've never had a nightmare on one after playing plenty and this proved no different. £105 + £20 or so afters for £70 in - par for the course on a good day for one of these and the satisfaction of playing it through as a local arrived who was obviously there to play it - he stalled for time on a Monopoly but alas there were no vulture pickings this time.
Across the road to the JDW's, A Cluedo was semi ready and did a £50 off lines then surpsingly didn't die but also wasn't showing a streak so a few more milked wins before it did go comatose.
I tried the local Pots of Gold in the hope that it was unchipped but alas the you-know-who yielded £19 before stopping. My first experience of a chipped one actually.
Even the chinese takeaway was covered, quiz machine usually pays for a bag of prawn crackers but as we waited for our food the owner took a good £8 or so out of millionaire.
The following day we decided to leave Skegness and go to Boston, as we arrived there I made an executive decision to drive on closer to home (Leicester) so we ended up going to Peterborough (Mattb stomping ground?)
The wife went shopping and I sought out the first local arcade I could find, by the name of New Horizon. Quite a big place with lot's of choice and I did quite well off the Bar x 7 brigade, the Cluedo was dead but before I realized this I had to resort to SSS/no lose board/follow up lines to break even.
I played a Mega Slots for fun which awarded the feature 4 times in a row after each spin for no more than £7 at a time (£35 version) and the GG's were dead.
A little more wandering and I found a Quicksilver which had a fairly ready/full Bar x 7 and some lucky wins off a Magic Poker and a Nuge/Wink sit down machine. I can't help think that Quicksilvers really are poorly maintained with drab decor and shite customer service to boot, they don't do themselves any favours.
Final wanderings saw me find a final New Horizon place where pretty much everything was dead, although I played the Jackpoteer's for old times sake and managed to miss both the JP and £10 off Locomotion reminding me how little skill is involved these days.
All good all in all, came back with at least the same sized float as I went away with plus a healthy changed up note bank in the wallet.
High point ? Visiting an it box which still had our high score on from 118 days ago for Spot the Difference and beating it !
Confucius say "man who know wombat know more than stupid looking monkey"
Mattb

Post by Mattb »

Skeggy isn't great mate, not much around a lot of the time. I do go to boro every now and then, usually ok for a good profit, but can be hit and miss like anywhere else. Probably only do the place once every 6 weeks, rather stay at home!
"Sixty percent of the time, it works, every time!"
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

is that card shark and italian job still in that bar near funfair? also is that austin powers still there?
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

they've been there since new
anfield road

Post by anfield road »

did a £50 off the lines? then it was the free board and its guarenteed another set of lines mate?

if when taking GUAC or getting the MS any way and it gives over £40 then its there for another set 100%.

Just bear that in mind next time the MS carries on!
justice For The 96
kidgloves

Post by kidgloves »

anfield road wrote:did a £50 off the lines? then it was the free board and its guarenteed another set of lines mate?

if when taking GUAC or getting the MS any way and it gives over £40 then its there for another set 100%.

Just bear that in mind next time the MS carries on!
Ah, bugger.

The card shark and AP are still in that arcade in Peterborough, I forced a JP out of Austin but no sweeties afterwards.
pickareel

Post by pickareel »

why do u mention locations in posts for u idiot!!!
i got more routes than loreal
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

who me? them machines have been there 6 yrs and ap chipped anyway
JG

Post by JG »

You must get stung on some of that lo-tech stuff, It's not all bixo winkyboxes and flash poopers. Magic electrocoins are long enough cycle to mean full or no, you're always just around the corner from a pasting. GGs are pretty useless on low %s, so unless you intend to float around waiting for that lovely breed of player, the 'lose a quick £50 and feck off leaving value', surely you've faced your fair share of DOOOOOM in your time Mr. Gloves?
pickareel

Post by pickareel »

no not u betch
i got more routes than loreal
mjd

Post by mjd »

Theres a CCP in North West London
boom
kidgloves

Post by kidgloves »

pickareel wrote:why do u mention locations in posts for u idiot!!!
Because in the 5 or so years I have been telling these tales It helps to tell the story, see I'm telling a tale here, some like to read things like this. I don't like being called an idiot, and your response just shows the extreme level of uptightness any kind of information on the internet has got to.
So what if the JDW's in Skegness has a Cluedo, or anywhere else has anything else for that matter, it's not like I've posted the latest emptier for all and sundry, jeez put it in perspective.
JG - The last trip happened to be fairly lucky, I do lose on these and don't have any golden info or system. I've posted before tales of losses and certainly don't want to create the image that I can do no wrong. DOOOOOM is always around the corner for all gamblers, including myself.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

i have NEVER EVER lost a penny on anything
trayhop123

Post by trayhop123 »

neither have i betch, i know exactly where it is, in the mc lol
CrosbyRules

Post by CrosbyRules »

kidgloves, how can u leave that cluedo after the freebie, grrrr at muggypuggywuggyness
Unbelievable Jeff