Attention: Desparate Compulsive Gamblers with Assets!!

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
jeffvickers

Attention: Desparate Compulsive Gamblers with Assets!!

Post by jeffvickers »

The Bailiffs Rights of Entry

The Bailiff cannot force entry into a domestic property. The bailiff can walk through an open door, an unlocked door, or go through an open window. Once in tthey will make a walking possessiion order (a list of all your goods/belongings). Usually once they have the list of goods they will enter into an arrangement, but this will be on their terms. If you do not keep to the arrangement the Bailiff can force entry and seize goods after default. Agreement can only be made after peaceful entry.
quizard

Post by quizard »

You expecting them then Jeff?
jeffvickers

Post by jeffvickers »

To be honest, like most of us on here, at one time I was a compulsive gambler and yes, debts did accumulate. I found out how debts were trasferred quite regularly between finance houses. Eventually the debt would be written off at minimal cost to the finance houses at each stage.

But as you become more wise, you become quite solvent, but obviously solvent on a personal note, not a governmental/system note.
PMK

Post by PMK »

Parking tickets for me? Refuse to pay 'em. Threats more threats then nothing.
YoungKai

Post by YoungKai »

bailifs have this thing called the 'foot in the door rule', or something. basically, if you try to shut the door on a bailiff they a re allowed to put their foot in the door and shove it open to get into your house, they can dothe same with windows aswell. can't be bothered to find a wikipedia link or anything but it's true. . . coz i saw it on daytime tv. :D
Fuck you Noel.
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

Ditto what youngkai said. if they can get in without breaking anything, they can get in however they like.

TV licensing is another interesting matter, this guy > http://www.bbctvlicence.com/site/ has been receiving threats for over 2 years and he never got a home visit! Its all paper.
megastreaker

Post by megastreaker »

I'm 13k in debt between about 5 loans. Wanna stay paying them off but never get round it. My credit score is buggered so no consolidation loans for me but hey no more debts which is good.

Anyway I've lived in 2 houses over 4 years and I've had letters but not one court summons and not one bayliff. They keep using scare tactics by saying its due to go to our leagal team etc. I owe one loan 5k and haven't made a payment for about 4 years and they just don't seem to wanna take me to court. I'll pay them off though.

I heard about a company that can get ANYONE a mortgage and I can wipe my debts in the process. Hope this is the case or I'll be paying about £500 a month for 2 years and I can't afford that.
ma71lda

Post by ma71lda »

I don't understand how people can get into so much debt, people who earn very little ( I earn less than £20k) should learn to live within their means. Personally if I was £13k in debt the first thing I would do is file for bankruptcy - so many people seem to be doing it these days it lost the stigma once associated with it. Beats paying £500 per month on top of the usual rent, bills etc, especially when £400 of it is probably interest.
megastreaker

Post by megastreaker »

Banckrupcy is still not a good idea. You still have to pay something back. And its always on your record that you were bacnkrupt
cashino

Post by cashino »

megastreaker wrote:Banckrupcy is still not a good idea. You still have to pay something back. And its always on your record that you were bacnkrupt
I like the sheer paradox within the thread titile:

"Compulsive gamblers with assets..."

Ever met one? No nor I.

Anyway bankruptcy is only on your record 6 years. You don't necessarily have to pay anything back, if you have no assets. If you are on minimum MacDonalds per hour it is unlikely you'll get an attachment to earnings order for the year you are bankrupt. You'll have to give up any credit/debit cards you have and open a new account the day after u are bankrupted. Don't inherit any money in that year either if you can help it.

If you have NOT made contact or paid your creditor in 6-years the debt is statute-barred under the 1981 Act of Limitation and cannot be legally enforced via courts anyway, although they can still ASK you to pay, but must stop asking once they acknowledge the debt is statute-barred. Thats civil debt though, not council tax or other govt.stuff.
megastreaker

Post by megastreaker »

cool information thanks for that

The thing is I can easily afford to pay my debts off but I'd rather spend it on myself ha ha
JakeyC

Post by JakeyC »

RE: the TV licensing. I've been in 2 properties over a period of over 6 years and not paid the Licence Fee yet. I won't say whether I actually own a device capable of receiving live transmissions or not.

This 6 years without is despite the usual threatening letters and promised visits. I wouldn't pay it on a matter of principle.

Some great info obtained from the BBC through the FOI Act here. The answers they 'blocked' are almost more telling than the ones they answer.

Firstly, I hate the 'guilty until you can prove yourself innocent' assumption. No other organisation could get away with the tactics they use. Imagine it: the DVLA send you a letter accusing you of driving illegally because you don't appear on their database of licensed drivers. Or what if you were accused of being a potential Paedophile becuase they don't have you on the Sex Offenders Register. Call now and prove you're not a peado or we'll visit your house.

Secondly, if the BBC really needed my money they'd stop spending it on Radio stations for black hip-hop and BBC Repeats24.

If you *were* to get caught evading the fee, and had the book thrown at you (i.e. court), the average fine is nowhere near the threatened £1000.

Ahh, that's better to get that off my chest!
Taffam

Post by Taffam »

You shouldn't avoid your debts like that, they will always come back and bite you on the arse when you're really down - people dont just forget about 13k worth of debts otherwise debt collection agencies couldn't operate if nobody paid and the last thing you want are bailiffs coming round, because they will eventually and probably without notice

Look at the forums on this site, they have some really good info on managing debts

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

And to JakeyC just pay the TV licence - it's a tenner a month for christs sake, that's not bad value for money really is it?
jeffvickers

Post by jeffvickers »

cashino wrote:
megastreaker wrote:Banckrupcy is still not a good idea. You still have to pay something back. And its always on your record that you were bacnkrupt
I like the sheer paradox within the thread titile:

"Compulsive gamblers with assets..."

Ever met one? No nor I.
I was a compulsive gambler, learnt how to beat the machines through knowledge, contacts and discipline, but obviously still left with debt. Now rather than pay old debt(all prob. over 5 years now), I choose to have some nice things in my house, own a car, enjoy a nice life.

Maybe the thread should have read "Former Compulsive gamblers with assets"
JakeyC

Post by JakeyC »

Taffam wrote: And to JakeyC just pay the TV licence - it's a tenner a month for christs sake, that's not bad value for money really is it?
You've made the same mistake of assuming I'm guilty.

That aside, no - it's not good value, for a whole host of reasons.

And even if it were, I'd still feel so outraged at their arrogance and underhand tactics that I'd boycott it.