Fair Play Campaign

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
PMK

Fair Play Campaign

Post by PMK »

Just browsing the web and came across this old site. Remembered it from a while back causing many an argument.

Anybody know what happened to them and/or who they were.
JG

Post by JG »

The originator of the Fairplay campaign was Isle of Man resident Alex Maroney. The Fairplay campaign started on 'Maroney's Web Hovel' a pretty good site actually, where Alex would rant about any topic, but with the focus on fruit machine emulation.
Basically it all started over the emulation of Club Monopoly. We all know the score on that era of Maygay clubber. Stingy £30ish block or cyclic £200 jackpot. Very boring. A clunkily modified AWP essentially. Anyway, it was a catalyst for something that was always going to happen anyway. I think some random member posted that it rolled in pretty much the same win from a fresh ROM/RAM extract at a certain point. You'd get to the £30 gamble on a 2 and hey guess what, it'd stitch you either way you gambled. Well what a fookin' surprise!

Well everyone had known that if a Pie Factory is only £2 boarding, you ain't winning that gamble on a 2/11 whichever way you go. Hi/Lo/Left/Right/NNW/287º/3rd exit/brake sharply/Cash or bust it was always curtains. We know the principles in play.

However, here there seemed to be clear proof it definitely WAS rigged and the Fairplay campaign, spearheaded by Maroney and swollen by some emulation scene recruits now had some meat to chew.

So the arguments started. Maroney trumpeting that he was going to crush the industry and take this to The Prime minister. The professional players laughing and saying he was bitter about losing money on machines.

I think he caused a few waves. He got an article in The Independent, turned a few industry faces red and got as far as a new sticker that we all know and love.

"This machine may at times offer a player a gamble with no chance of success." (or thereabouts) as a pose to "Sometimes the odds displayed may not be the odds given".

Maroney and his men weren't happy. They hadn't done all this for a poxy sticker, they were fighting for the common man, or so they said, and it started to get a bit far fetched. Asking for donations of money/time and effort from Fairplay followers to CRUSH the Industry. His henchman at this point was Stuart Campbell, a journalist on a PC Gaming magazine.

However the Industry was barricading its doors and the player population was laughing their heads off. They had lived and accepted the bizarre laws of bandits for many years and this was getting too troublesome. The danger word that sounds like tandem and could involve Brownian motion was being bandied about. No one wanted tandem machines. Let's be fair, even the Industry found it hard to let go of 'tandem' during section 16. You know what I mean ;) , let's not start that up again. Cms you cheeky bastards (amongst others).

The final factor was the rate limiting step. To actually deliver the killer punch Maroney wanted, the legal costs would be huge. Getting something like that through the courts would be extortionate. It'd take more than a few half hearted blueys through Paypal to sort this. You'd have to prove beyond doubt the source code was at fault. You'd need a lawsmith to actually demonstrate the illegality of such a piece of code. That in itself seemed to be a gery area. So this grey area - Are fruit machines illegal? was discussed on and on and on and on in the emulation forums with the players still laughing their heads off.

During this time Fairplay seemed to fade into obscurity. He never claimed to have accepted the fate of Fairplay, but surely Maroney realised the mountain was unclimbable? Surely this had been taken as far as it could go? Well whatever happenned it faded into nothing.

Maroney still posts on Fruit Forums and is an integral part of the 'arguing' that goes on over there. He sometimes graces Fruit emu, Gary's favourite site, under the alias 'Chopley Turnip'. Other bizarre variant aliases include references to amphetamine type drugs with Tourettic type swearing. For example 'F**cked up Chopley Bunny c**t mephamphetamine head'. An entertaining guy in some respects, but just a bit of a f**ker in other respects.

Further answers lie in the crazy world of fruit forums.
cashino

Post by cashino »

http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/fruit/fruit1.htm

Here is the article of debate........are you sure it's Maroney?
mattrick

Post by mattrick »

Ha, i never realised it is Chopley Turnip. I have him on my friends list on my 360!! :lol:
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

Yeah, Alex m. What a w**ker.

If you ever had a look at his forum on the face of it, it said "its so unfair, machines are rigged to lose and rip off the punter". He even had a little slot on a TV show demonstrating the club monopoly emulator's unwinnable £40 gamble, which was as george said, quiet quiet funny.

However, if you took the time to read more than the intro to his forum it was nothing more than a crazy bunch of wannabie players who desperately wanted to emulate machines so they could "beat them for free". Some of the methods they all discussed and tried would even make newbies on here laugh!

Suffice to say most of them hated players because, and this is a direct quote "they ruin the gameplay" because they would set the percent back, and wheres the fun for the next player... punter... Alex m... Idiot.

This was all confirmed by the last post Iever read on his site simply complaining that he'd not made any money in the last few days. But I thought it was about the gameplay?!

total prick.
bigv038

Post by bigv038 »

uber-pro wrote:quiet quiet funny.

Some of the methods they all discussed and tried would even make newbies on here laugh!
well it made you laugh :lol:

oh and its quite not quiet :lol:
Xile

Post by Xile »

I've always thought that machines are 'rigged' of course they are, the %age means they have to follow SOME kind of guideline. There is no point in getting upset that the people who provide you with these machines for an opportunity to gamble have to at LEAST break even, or why would they bother?

What he failed to see was that it can also therefore be 'rigged' in your favour, if it's gotta pay, it will.
Crystal Meth

Post by Crystal Meth »

Blimey, I've never seen quite so much ill-informed bollocks condensed into one nonsensical post before - well done!
Jackpot George wrote:
Blah blah blah bullshit.
JG

Post by JG »

The truth hurts eh?

What's the matter? Fruit Forums down at the moment? I used to quite like your little rants, if you are who I think you are.
Crystal Meth

Post by Crystal Meth »

Jackpot George wrote:The truth hurts eh?
I really wouldn't know, since your post was almost entirely comprised of fantastical brainfarts that would embarrass a congenitally retarded baboon.
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

Crystal Meth wrote:
Jackpot George wrote:The truth hurts eh?
I really wouldn't know, since your post was almost entirely comprised of fantastical brainfarts that would embarrass a congenitally retarded baboon.

Irony

Noun - Dissimulation]
Come on you Royals
JG

Post by JG »

OK, ok, ok. The congenital brainfarts has done it. You ARE Alex Maroney without a shadow of a doubt. Congratulationypoos!
Whatever happenned to your hovel?
AND
Would you care to set the record straight on the old Fairplay campaign story please? I do not wish to cause any more harrasment amongst solomnly repenting bufoons.
harry 3

Post by harry 3 »

They played an emulated 20p/£4 JPM machine that when gambling £1.20 higher or lower lost every single time and started crying about it. :(
Come on you Royals
fishsta

Post by fishsta »

Time to resurrect an old argument.

It wasn't Alex. It was Stuart Campbell, former Your Sinclair, Gamesmaster and general games reviewer and writer. Whilst I'm not his biggest fan in any way, I actually agreed with the Fairplay campaign. All aspects of it.

And I have to admit it was his article in PC Zone that brought me to FME in the first place.
flashback

Post by flashback »

Blimey, talk about blast from the past - Fair Play wouldn't be best pleased with any of today's hi-techs - LOL!