Notes

General fruit machine related chat, if it doesn't fit another category discuss it here..
Johnny Boy

Notes

Post by Johnny Boy »

This may seem a dodgy thread however im asking out of curiostiy and nothing else !!

Just wandered what note readers actually look for on a note. For example how does it determine if its real and what value it is ?

I ask this cos we get a few fakes where i work and i saw a really good one last week (the only difference was the UV £20 wasnt there), all holograms on it were real.

So can a machine tell what is real or fake ? Or would it be possible for someone to put blank pieces of paper into a machine, with only selected markings on it which the machine is looking for- and it may think it is a £20 ??

Sorry just wandered if this could be possible, bearing in mind if it is im sure people are doing it already like !
One last pound
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

They look for a crocodile mouth made of plastic attached to the end of a £20 note with a 15mil strip cut off the bottom with the whole thing being attached to a 50p piece with fishing wire..
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

think you have got too much time on your hands. If you dont want to answer then dont, if you want to be a dick - carry on.
One last pound
bowie

Post by bowie »

He wants to be a dick, it's all he has.
Stevie S

Post by Stevie S »

i should think it knows the amount by the size of the note and the placement of what it scans. other than that i dont have a clue. im sure you would find this info by simply browsing the net. Ask jeeves.
shadmun

Post by shadmun »

Dunhamzzz wrote:They look for a crocodile mouth made of plastic attached to the end of a £20 note with a 15mil strip cut off the bottom with the whole thing being attached to a 50p piece with fishing wire..
:lol: :lol:
DildoDez

Post by DildoDez »

I'm pretty sure they look for a series of 'disguised' dots or something like that.

There's one of the notes, not sure which, which appears to have a series of very small musical notes on it. The head of these notes are the dots i mentioned.

I did see a worryingly good fake at work recently as well. The only difference was the holographic, vertical bars weren't evenly spaced out. Unlike normal fakes though, the bars appeared white under the uv light - not blue as they usually do. Forgeries are getting better, but in the main most of them are really, really shit.

In the past month at work i have seen the shittest pound coin EVER (it had no gold paint left on it), a horrible, waxy fake fiver, an equally bad, washed out tenner, and a crap fake 20, and the good one i spoke about there.

I'd never have the balls to use such an obvious fake, and i can't believe the stupidity of some of the people who take them!
Scott

Post by Scott »

theres a piece in our local paper about fake £20's flying about near me at the minute, also was in a pub over christmas where someone was getting some heat over 2 x £20 notes he had supposedly handed over the bar, I usually change up 20 coins in pubs when possible and have been keeping an eye out for and fakes.
Cobwebs 👆
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

OH DEAR PEOPLE.

Kudos to the people who get what I said.

Just ignore the joke if you don't get it. You obviously don't know anything in that thread of 'player' activity.
DildoDez

Post by DildoDez »

Dunhamzzz wrote:OH DEAR PEOPLE.

Kudos to the people who get what I said.

Just ignore the joke if you don't get it. You obviously don't know anything in that thread of 'player' activity.
apologies for ignoring your post, which was perfectly clear in it's content, and attempting to answer the OP...
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

I certainly wouldn't have a clue Dunhamzzz.

Even though i've not idea what you mean I still wouldn't post that on a public board!
uber-pro

Post by uber-pro »

I certainly wouldn't have a clue Dunhamzzz.

Even though i've not idea what you mean I still wouldn't post that on a public board!
Dunhamzzz

Post by Dunhamzzz »

uber-pro wrote:I certainly wouldn't have a clue Dunhamzzz.

I should imagine that manus have found enough of them in their note-boxes.
betchrider

Post by betchrider »

aye not the best eh dunham?
Nixxy

Re: Notes

Post by Nixxy »

Johnny Boy wrote:Just wandered what note readers actually look for on a note. For example how does it determine if its real and what value it is ?
I'm pretty sure that Noteys have a facility to 'train' it what to accept and reject. In other words, I think you switch it to 'train' mode and feed a genuine note in. Repeat with the note the other way round. Repeat with the note upside down. Repeat the other way round AND upside down. It is then 'trained' to accept that particular design of note in any of the 4 possible positions/directions and acknowledge it as genuine - presumably it holds the information of the scanned image somehow, so if it can match the image of the note Joe Public inserts with one it has memorised, it can award the correct amount of credit and accept that note.

I'm basing this assumption on a techie thread I read at the time when the new £20 note went into circulation, so do please excuse me if I'm completely wrong.
This machine may at times offer a choice where the player has every chance of bankruptcy